Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why do CO FAs play musical chairs for takeoff/landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion

I'm a PLT but a relative newbie to Continental...I'm so used to AA and UA, where the F/As who work in F, typically sit on the jumpseat and remain up front, while the coach F/As sit in the jumpseats in the back.
Why do CO F/A's change positions so much and sit in the jumpseats where they aren't working for takeoff and landing? This doesn't make any sense to me--you don't get to see goodbye to the First F/A's and thank them for great service.
Can any one pls explain?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:11 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I believe the head FA is upfront at the start of the flight - takes orders, etc. - then the head FA moves to the back and a regular FA does the FC service.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
I'm a PLT but a relative newbie to Continental...I'm so used to AA and UA, where the F/As who work in F, typically sit on the jumpseat and remain up front, while the coach F/As sit in the jumpseats in the back.
Why do CO F/A's change positions so much and sit in the jumpseats where they aren't working for takeoff and landing? This doesn't make any sense to me--you don't get to see goodbye to the First F/A's and thank them for great service.
Can any one pls explain?
Are they playing musical chairs...as in seating in several different seats in the moments before landing, or just taking the seat somewhere in the cabin where the company has assigned them to take?

Last edited by mywifeisincoach; Apr 19, 2007 at 7:52 am Reason: deleted "a="
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MP
The first class FA is seated at the rear of the plane, while the head FA who services the back is seated at the front of the plane for takeoff/landing.

My theory is that CO wants these FAs to pass through the entire length of the plane prior to takeoff/landing to make sure PAX are properly seated/secured.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: CO - Plat, NW - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Plat.
I would have to agree. It gives the cabin the presence of crew members and forces them to check the pax seatbelts, stowed bags, seat backs etc for takeoff and landing.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
It also represents the FA's as equals.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 2:11 pm

We actually sit in those designated jumpseats because each F/A has an area of responsibility in case of an emergency evacuation.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:01 pm

The lead FA always sits at door 1A. It gives a good view of the whole AC and that's where the video equipment usually is. The lead is also the communication link for the cabin crew to the captain during irreg ops so proximity to the pit might be a factor.

One consideration when positioning the remaining crew, especially on larger planes, is traffic flow in the event of an evac. They've figured out which doors PAX are more likely to go to, size of exit, type of exit (overwing versus 2 lane slide) and the amount of PAX in proximity to each exit.

To be honest, that's a very common question in training and I can't remember what the answer was.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:37 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
If we were talking about DL, I would say that they are performing a weight re-balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.