Wiki Posts
Search

Buddy Pass questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: continental
Smile Buddy Pass questions

I did read stickys and I did do a search, but this internet connection isn't great, so after an hour of searching I gave up. Sorry if these are common questions, be nice, I'm new!

We are taking our son to a Children's hospital across the US for treatment. A relative that is an employee of Continental Airlines has offered us buddy passes to get there. The relative said we could just pay whatever their cost was, but hasn't used any buddy passes in over 6 years, so had no clue what that would be. Anyone know an approx amount that would be? (worrying it's more $$$ than we have right now)

Also, relative didn't know if there's a dress code (for kids too?) or any other things we need to be aware of.

We know it's standby, and are allowing plenty of travel time to get there before we have to be at the hospital. Standy is not a problem for us, and we are going to be travelling on a tuesday so it shouldn't be too bad. (I hear weekends are harder for standby)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Apr 17, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Marriott
Also consider AngelFlight and other charitable organizations that provide the same services for free, if your doctor makes the referral.

The one serving Houston is www.angelflightsc.org, as an example.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

I was mailnly just looking for tips on the continental buddy pass travel.

Last edited by joyfulheart; Apr 23, 2007 at 8:22 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:31 pm
G23

The employee should know how to book your buddy pass by the intranet or by calling the employee pass line. At that time he can tell you how much it will cost you and you can book them anytime before departure since it is electronic. You are not eligible for 1st class so a child can dress in shorts or jeans with no problem. Your dress requirements can be found on the Continental's intranet under pass travel.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
What routes are you looking to fly and when? Buddy pass travel is sometimes a good deal, and sometimes not given all the low fares in many markets.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Texas to Colorado, next month.

Just under $200 a ticket (need 3). Surely the buddy passes wont cost THAT much??!!?? There will be a quick stop in Houston, no straight flights possible.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by joyfulheart

Just under $200 a ticket (need 3). Surely the buddy passes wont cost THAT much??!!?? There will be a quick stop in Houston, no straight flights possible.
They buddy passes will probably be about half that with taxes, fees etc. However, non rev travel can be stressful and big a hassle. Flights are packed these days and stand by travel (which is what buddy pass travel is) can be iffy at best. Especially if you are trying to get 3 of you on the same flights. All revenue passenger stand bys and employee standbys will get on before you do so you will have the least seat availability. Decent chance not all of you will get on at least one of the segments unless you can find flights that are wide open. A weather issue hits, you're screwed and could be left in a city for a day or 2.

I bring this up, because I would not advise anyone who's already traveling in the stressful situation you are to add to the stress with non rev standby travel. If it were me, I would gladly pay an extra $300 in the situation to get confirmed seats for everyone.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 7:36 pm

Virtually impossible to get to CO with CO ... three in buddy pass, suggest not to even try

Originally Posted by joyfulheart

Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I wouldnt be going standby for an organ transplant on a buddypass!
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:14 pm

A round-trip domestric Buddy Pass will run about $110. ea. As stated above, flying into DEN is very iffy since there are a lot of commuters on that route.
Good luck.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I wouldnt be going standby for an organ transplant on a buddypass!
LOL-- no, he's not getting a transplant on this trip. LOL And hopefully not any trip!

This trip is an act of faith for us, as we are running out of options.

THanks for the advice. I talked to hubby tonight and we're going to try to find some affordable (non standby) tickets from DFW to DEN.

Thanks again everyone! I truly appreciate the information.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club
I flew on a buddy pass to Washington National. I had no problems getting a seat on each leg & the cost of the ticket was $110. MUCH less than what a regular ticket cost. Your relative should look at what the loads are on the flights available. I thought I was going to have a problem on the National-IAH route, since it was pretty full, but I got a seat on the plane.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by KFinTX
I flew on a buddy pass to Washington National. I had no problems getting a seat on each leg & the cost of the ticket was $110. MUCH less than what a regular ticket cost. Your relative should look at what the loads are on the flights available. I thought I was going to have a problem on the National-IAH route, since it was pretty full, but I got a seat on the plane.
There are also tax implications for the person who gave you the buddy passes. I have used some before and to include the income tax, the real cost was $150, no kidding. The person who gave you these might not even know about this, but their W-2 will. Good luck.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by G23
The employee should know how to book your buddy pass by the intranet or by calling the employee pass line. At that time he can tell you how much it will cost you and you can book them anytime before departure since it is electronic. You are not eligible for 1st class so a child can dress in shorts or jeans with no problem. Your dress requirements can be found on the Continental's intranet under pass travel.
I have friends who use buddy passes on Delta and Air Canada, and they almost always fly in F and it is the rare exception that they fly coach. (however they usually are going to places like Europe and South America.) Is CO's buddy pass program that much worse then the others.

Availability for them is generally OK 1-2 days max (however they don't try to use them in July/August or Christmas time.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA, DL
I hope you find your flights to CO and that your child will be okay. The Children's Hospital here is very good.

Interestingly, when I took a CO flight from IAH-DEN, the load was very light, everyone could of had their own row if they wanted too... must be the day/time I suppose.

But if you are looking at other airlines from DFW-DEN, Southwest could be another option for you from Dallas (Love Field) - DEN non-stop - DING! Fares are not unusual, so keep an eye on that. I understand that you are under stressful conditions, but if money is a factor, it might be worth checking out.

and I know I'm talking about SW in the CO Forum - don't worry I'm a CO fan and have never flown on SW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.