Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Using cancelled ticket for refundable ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:18 am
Original Poster

I searched through FT but could not find answers to these questions.

Last year (May29) I purchased a CO ticket for about $1000 for travel to Europe in the summer. Because of a back injury, I cancelled the ticket and CO said that with a letter from my Dr., I would not have to pay the change fee but would need to make reservations to use the cancelled ticket by May 29.. They also told me that if I exchanged the original ticket for a ticket that cost less than the original price, they'd issue a voucher good for one year and usable by someone else.

A friend said that I could exchange the cancelled ticket for a fully-refundable CO ticket and obtain a refund by cancelling the refundable replacement ticket. Does anyone know if this is true? Does the same hold for the voucher?

Also, is there any way to use the cancelled ticket or voucher to obtain a DL flight (I often get upgraded on DL because of medallions status)? Does it have to be a code share? If so, would I be able to upgrade on DL even though I would be ticketed with a CO flight number?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The original amount remains non-refundable, even if you buy a refundable ticket.

The only way you'd get the refund is if there were a refund accounting error of some sort.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:02 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by channa
The original amount remains non-refundable, even if you buy a refundable ticket.

The only way you'd get the refund is if there were a refund accounting error of some sort.
My experience is different, but I may have benefited from an error. I paid the change fee, bought Y and then later requested refund (like 2 months later) when I legitimately had no need for the new flight. However, I have no knowledge of policy and this is my only experience in asking for or receiving a refund in this manner.

YMMV, YMMV, YMMV.

Best of luck.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: CO-PE, UA-PE, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I cancelled a non-refundable flight for a Y class refundable ticket and paid the difference. The day before the flight I had to change my travel again and even though the ticket was showing Y-class it was flagged as non-refundable. That confused the agent until they read in either a notation or the history that the orig $300 of the ticket had been from a non-refundable.

So my guess is that even if you purchased a refundable ticket there would still be a notation explaining the history of the ticket and form of payment.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
does the $100 change fee come out of the voucher value or does it have to be paid separately? on the vouchers, do I have 365 days to use it from the date of the original (now changed) flight?
Old Jul 4, 2007, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by psychtobe
does the $100 change fee come out of the voucher value or does it have to be paid separately? on the vouchers, do I have 365 days to use it from the date of the original (now changed) flight?
Since this thread is about a canceled ticket, I assume when you mentioned voucher it is the funds from a canceled ticket. The $100 change fee needs to be paid separately and the funds from the canceled ticket must be used within one year from the date the ticket was purchased not the original flight date.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: 1K , 2MM, UA Club, *G, Admirals Club Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
You pay the $100 change fee separately.

The voucher will tell you good until X.
(1 year from date of voucher being issued).
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:41 pm

thanks for the replies but I'm hearing 2 different things.

is the voucher good for 365 days from date of issue (ie, date of cancellation of original flight); from date of original flight; or from date of purchase?

thanks
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
thanks for the replies but I'm hearing 2 different things.

is the voucher good for 365 days from date of issue (ie, date of cancellation of original flight); from date of original flight; or from date of purchase?

thanks

Your old ticket has its value. That is valid for 1 year from date of issue.

Once you book something else, any unused portion is given to you via voucher. That voucher expires 1 year from the day it is issued.

The voucher must be ticketed by the day it expires, but you can travel as far as the schedule is open (approx. 11 months).

So you could theoretically stretch much of this value for nearly three years if you timed it right.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
YMMV, YMMV, YMMV.
why did you raise YMMV to the third power?
Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:20 pm

channa - thanks - i got it now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.