Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Not enough 772s? And stuff about CO99 EWR-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not enough 772s? And stuff about CO99 EWR-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Lemurs
8 routes, or 8 flights? Remember TLV gets 2 a day, with one sitting overnight. Not sure about other routes, but multiple freq's there could be soaking up your missing airframes.
EWR (8):

LGW
CDG
TLVx2
PEK
HKG
DEL
NRT

IAH (4):

NRT
LGWx2
CDG
Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Gold, Avis First, HH Silver
PEK, HKG, DEL, and NRT all essentially require 2 aircraft to effectively service daily flights, don't they? One will always be in the air one direction or the other. That's another 4 aircraft to account for. I think instead of trying to figure it out over the course of the day, the best idea is to pick one snapshot in time and figure out what is in the air, and what is on the ground prepping for departure, or overnighting. When you include an entire day it gets harder to track movements since planes get turned around and go elsewhere.

So at say 3am EST, where are all of CO's 777's? That should keep it simple, since there are no departures/arrivals anywhere near that timeframe for IAH or EWR. (This is a very intersting problem btw, rkkwan. If you're a logistics nerd at least. )

Last edited by Lemurs; Oct 12, 2006 at 6:53 pm Reason: ...forgot NRT
Old Oct 12, 2006, 7:04 pm

Programs: EVA AIR Gold
Cool

About the charters, yes, I know that CO has some contracts. But domestic sports charter almost always use 738 (and 752 occassionally). Military charters I've seen their flights showing up at Germany, North Carolina, Guantanamo etc... But just how often do they run them?[/QUOTE]

You are right,most of the charters were flown by 738s but we use 772 for military charters and 738 for baseball charters.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
emember TLV gets 2 a day, with one sitting overnight. Not sure about other routes, but multiple freq's there could be soaking up your missing airframes.
CO doesn't us the 777 for the military charters much.
They also do not overnight one in TLV.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lemurs
PEK, HKG, DEL, and NRT all essentially require 2 aircraft to effectively service daily flights, don't they? One will always be in the air one direction or the other. That's another 4 aircraft to account for. I think instead of trying to figure it out over the course of the day, the best idea is to pick one snapshot in time and figure out what is in the air, and what is on the ground prepping for departure, or overnighting. When you include an entire day it gets harder to track movements since planes get turned around and go elsewhere.

So at say 3am EST, where are all of CO's 777's? That should keep it simple, since there are no departures/arrivals anywhere near that timeframe for IAH or EWR. (This is a very intersting problem btw, rkkwan. If you're a logistics nerd at least. )
No, a 777 leaving from EWR at night of Day 1 going to Europe will be back in the afternoon of Day 2, completing both the outbound and inbound in the same day.

Planes on the ultra-longhaul like EWR-PEK or DEL leave earlier on Day 1, and arrive later on Day 2. While those take more than 24 hours to complete a roundtrip, the equipment can then be used on a later departure to LGW or TLV, etc.

The only route that takes truly "2 planes" to do a daily roundtrip is EWR-HKG because the plane spends 15 hours on the ground in HKG.

But since you ask, at 3am ET:

- Two planes on the ground at LGW, after completing CO18 EWR-LGW and the early IAH-LGW CO34. Waiting to turn back to the US

- One plane approaching LGW, as CO4, the late flight from IAH.

- One plane on the ground at CDG, after completing CO56 from EWR.

- One plane approaching CDG, as CO10 IAH-CDG.

- One plane on the ground at TLV, just completed CO84 from EWR.

- One plane over northern Atlantic, 4 hours into flight CO90 EWR-TLV.

- One plane over Russia (probably), half way on CO82 EWR-DEL.

- One plane on the ground at PEK, during the short turnaround between CO89 and CO88. Will be departing for EWR in 45 minutes.

- One plane over Mongolia (probably) heading straight south as CO99 EWR-HKG.

- One plane over NE China or Japan, 4 hours into CO98 HKG-EWR

- Two planes on the ground at NRT. One to depart in 20 minutes as CO8 to EWR; the other just departed gate 5 minutes ago as CO6 to IAH.

Those are the 13 planes I am talking about.

Again, only route that takes really 2 planes is EWR-HKG.

---

As for TLV, CO84/85 turns around in 2 hours. CO90/91 have a 7 hour wait on the ground during the day.

Last edited by rkkwan; Oct 12, 2006 at 9:52 pm
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:19 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by AirDude
About the charters, yes, I know that CO has some contracts. But domestic sports charter almost always use 738 (and 752 occassionally). Military charters I've seen their flights showing up at Germany, North Carolina, Guantanamo etc... But just how often do they run them?
You are right,most of the charters were flown by 738s but we use 772 for military charters and 738 for baseball charters.[/QUOTE]

I know of several sports charters that use the 757...it gives them lots of room, plus a large FC for football linemen, coaches, Jerry Jones , etc. I have never heard of a sports charter using a 777.

The scary thing was, when I worked for a major Big XII Conference football team back in my college years....we used an old 727 from Miami Air (we called them Miami Scare), and it was a complete P.O.S. Made the Colgan Air SAAB's legroom look like a VS Upper Class Suite. Plus the air conditioning was spotty, and that is a problem when you are hauling 66 footbal players across the country in mid-September.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's the Syracuse football charter. Mainly 752s.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA1906

The Bucs need a 753:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA1919

The Yankees flew on a 752 to/from Detroit during the divisional series:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA1908

Can't remember if these are the Heat or the Mavs on the 752s during the NBA Finals:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA1924

Here are some military charter on the 772:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA1911
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA1920 (ferry flights back to EWR)
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA1921 (ferry flights from EWR)

Etc...
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
All right guys, When you find all the planes can you help me find my glasses? LOL I think that is MORE important, though I am impressed by what all of you have come up with. I just LOVE Flyertalk.com

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.