Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot uniforms

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Pilot uniforms

Yesterday, I was looking at my Continental Express flight arriving and noticed the captain was wearing a yellow baseball cap. It was not a pilots regular hat. He quickly took it off and was not wearing it when we boarded or deplaned. It looked strange and I was wondering if this was allowed.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Maybe he was wearing it to avoid headset hair. I think they wear regular headsets (like David Clarks) in the ERJ.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 4:17 pm

A lot of guys wear a baseball type cap while flying. The bill can help with the glare/sun when heading westbound in the afternoon, or eastbound at sunrise.

The official cap needs to be worn when 'in the public view'.....
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by doobierw
A lot of guys wear a baseball type cap while flying. The bill can help with the glare/sun when heading westbound in the afternoon, or eastbound at sunrise.

The official cap needs to be worn when 'in the public view'.....

Makes sense, I guess I never noticed before. Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA *G
A buddy of mine works at Piedmont (US Express Dash 8s) - he told me that the fancy pilots hat is not required for them, although I'm not sure how it is for Continental.
-A
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by JBLUA320
A buddy of mine works at Piedmont (US Express Dash 8s) - he told me that the fancy pilots hat is not required for them, although I'm not sure how it is for Continental.
-A
Hats and jackets are required year-round for Europe and Asia flying - optional for domestic and S. America flying during the summer months.

Ball caps, when out of the public view, optional year round.....
Old Aug 19, 2006, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by doobierw
Hats and jackets are required year-round for Europe and Asia flying - optional for domestic and S. America flying during the summer months.
Does this apply to 764 pilots working the GUM-NRT-GUM, HNL-GUM-HNL routes? If so, I do see inconsistency. Some wear the jacket and hat, while others only wear the white shirt and tie.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by trust77
Does this apply to 764 pilots working the GUM-NRT-GUM, HNL-GUM-HNL routes? If so, I do see inconsistency. Some wear the jacket and hat, while others only wear the white shirt and tie.
I don't know the specific answer to your question, but the pilots on those routes work for Continental Micronesia, which very well could have different uniform rules.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Continental doesn't seem too strict when it comes to pilot dress and appearance. The strictest company out there is Delta - official hats on at any and all times when in public view. Jackets must be worn at all times when in public view off the aircraft. Often a DL pilot leaving the flight deck to pee will put his hat on.

DL uniforms are also more formal, while CO pilots are often seen in just the shirt/tie and no jacket.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum
I am trying to remember the last time I saw a CO pilot in a jacket. It has to be several months (this includes several transfers through IAH). Are jackets an optional item in the summer? As for ball caps, I have seen them worn on the flight deck numerous times, especially early AM and late afternoon flights.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by rockdoc
I am trying to remember the last time I saw a CO pilot in a jacket.
Stroll through EWR around 4 to 10 p.m any day of the year. Those with jackets and hats are heading to Europe (i.e. a 757/767/777 crew) and those that aren't are on a domestic trip (most likely a 737 crew)....

I don't have the date in front of me, but I believe the entire airline goes full uniform between approx. October to April.

As for Pacific flying.....I believe NRT requires jackets and hats, but GUM/HNL does not.

BTW, over at NWA hats and jackets became optional about two years ago, and about 98% of the bubbas threw them on a one-way trip into deep storage......
Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:40 pm

Ok I just have to ask. Why does it matter?
Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:49 pm

Programs: Retired-CO Former Long-time Plat, Now a Kettle, Hilton Gold (Thanks AMEX)
I wouldn't care if they wore shorts. I'm happy knowing they can do a great job if the plane gets in trouble. I had a wind shear experience a few years ago, and was very impressed with pilot's handling of it.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:03 pm

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
Stoop

Well, let's not stoop to SouthWest's level! I do not want to see business casual golf shirts and shorts on my airline, my military, or State Police, or FBI.

In fact, I think the embroidered pilots wings or silk screen police/FD badge on the breast of a shirt are poor substitutes for the real deal insignia. A set of wings or a badge is a true emblem of honor, to be worn with pride, albeit with some slight discomfort.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Bernoulli 777
Well, let's not stoop to SouthWest's level! I do not want to see business casual golf shirts and shorts on my airline, my military, or State Police, or FBI.

In fact, I think the embroidered pilots wings or silk screen police/FD badge on the breast of a shirt are poor substitutes for the real deal insignia. A set of wings or a badge is a true emblem of honor, to be worn with pride, albeit with some slight discomfort.

Hmm lets see you sit around in semi formal wear (shirt and tie) for 14 hours everyday and see how you feel. It really doesn't matter what they wear. I'm sure they are going to be proud of their ratings no matter what.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.