Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

'Ownership' of overhead bin taken to extremes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Ownership' of overhead bin taken to extremes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold

[QUOTE] As for your computer bag, why didn't you just put it under the seat? If I have a choice between carrying a coat in my lap and having a bag under the seat in front of me, I will take the latter.

When you have two carryons and the bins are going to be full, I think that it is only reasonable for one of your items to go under the seat so that others are not otherwise forced to gate check their items.
Good question. I would have put it under the seat in front of me, but I was in 1A on an ERJ - no floor storage for carryons.

I agree completely. I try never to have more than one carryon, but if I do have two and the bins are full, I always place the laptop bag under the seat in front of me.

Last edited by CO 1E; Mar 28, 2006 at 12:02 pm
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
This discussion reminds me of a recent flight I made EWR-BOS. I arrived earlier than normal and the previous flight was slightly delayed so I got on that, but very near the back of the plane. As an elite, I was, of course, the first pax in that area. However, there were 6-8 CO employees (mostly flight crew) in uniform already sitting across the aisle. I went to open "my" overhead bin only to discover that it contained "my" liferaft. Looking across the aisle, the employees not only had all of their bags overhead, but also uniform jackets and hats neatly fold so as to take about the amount of space that a second bag would per employee.

I figured there's no point in making enemies with the employees before the plane is loaded so put my back a few rows forward. I did kind of expect the FA to say something to the employees before gate checking pax bags, but that didn't happen either.

(OTOH, I hope some of the fellow pax mentioned in this thread who believe they have reserved baggage space end up sitting under a life raft on a long flight sometime.)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Originally Posted by GeneDoc
My overhead story is one that had me fuming, but only after we arrived at our destination.

I was flying back from a weekend trip to ORD, with the family, on a Sunday night. Our flight was severely delayed--several hours waiting for the inbound from IAH. Finally got on during the elite call--wife and I were in 1st, two teenage sons in coach. They stored their bags, one of which is an older roll-on that won't fit end-in. The plane filled up and we finally took off for home.

Upon arrival at IAH (distant terminal E gate) after midnight, my wife and I wait for our sons to trudge up the jetway to the terminal. The longer bag is not in tow.

"Where's your bag?"

"Oh, they took it away, don't you have it?"

What?!!. Apparently the combination of a bag that won't fit "wheels in" and a son who wouldn't fight to keep it (and who was on the whole very confused about where it went--he thought that they'd moved it somewhere else on the plane) led to our bag being checked. Apparently even though we were on board and our luggage settled, a flight attendent decided to make space later in the process by removing our son's bag from the overhead.

Now we had to wait for the plane to empty to go back to ask if the bag had indeed been checked (we had no tag), then trudge from far E terminal to C for baggage claim (car was parked in E garage). It didn't take too long as we were many and could split up to get the bag and the car simultaneously, but I was still very unhappy that our son had been dealt with in such a poor manner. At the least he should have been told what was happening, and given a bag check. It might also have been nice to inform the parents. (I think we could have found space in F).

Added to the long delay, it was not a pleasant way to return from what had been a fun weekend trip.
Where's your beef? It did not meet carryon requirements. You are to blame for this, not your children and not the FA. They have no requirement, obligation or need to notify you.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL, US
Originally Posted by drbond
Where's your beef? It did not meet carryon requirements. You are to blame for this, not your children and not the FA. They have no requirement, obligation or need to notify you.

Not all carry-ons fit wheels in first. On some planes my bag does, on others it doesn't but it does meets the carry-on requirements.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:38 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *wood Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dknn
Not all carry-ons fit wheels in first. On some planes my bag does, on others it doesn't but it does meets the carry-on requirements.
I've found that also. I have a small rolling carry-on, and I've had FA's admonish me for not putting it in wheels first, but of course they then try to fix it with no avail. This is even on tin that has the "stow carry-on wheels first" stickers.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drbond
It does meet the requirements, but doesn't quite fit end in. I've carried that bag on board for hundreds of thousands of miles. It's from an era when most bags didn't.

No obligation to provide a baggage check?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ani90
Anyway after that I called an FA and complained and said I wanted him taken off the plane because his actions were forceful and he had removed other peoples luggage without their permission. She too dismissed it and said they can't do much and asked us to fill a complaint. I said well I am not filling one that she needs to get the security on board because he is a disruptive pax, that we found his actions threatening and needs to be thrown out.

Is it right that CO preferrred to ignore the action and rathered brush it under the carpet?
I can see how frustrating this situation was, but I'm not sure if I understand your reasoning.

Did you want him thrown off the plane because you wanted him punished for his rude behavior?

Because if you were truly fearful for your safety and you were willing to get off the plane yourself, why didn't you?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:31 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by salex
I went to open "my" overhead bin only to discover that it contained "my" liferaft.
The little placard reading "Liferaft Inside" on the bin door didn't tip you off?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Duhey2
The little placard reading "Liferaft Inside" on the bin door didn't tip you off?
That, along with the lock, were what caused me to realized that I had my life raft for the trip.

(I did watch other passengers who couldn't figure out why the door wouldn't open. I also got to see the surprise on the FA's face when the same passenger did manage to open the bin with the medical kit. Through all of this, the flight crew in the seats across the aisle watched, but didn't offer anything beyond telling pax that they couldn't use the locked bins. Even when it became clear that some of them would fly with empty middle seats, those hats still needed their space in the overhead.)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by Duhey2
You assume people pay attention...

-Vincent
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *
Originally Posted by climbermom

Did you want him thrown off the plane because you wanted him punished for his rude behavior?

Because if you were truly fearful for your safety and you were willing to get off the plane yourself, why didn't you?
Because I felt he was disruptive, abusive and unrespectful to fellow pax and therefore should be disembarked.

My willingness to disembark was because I knew if the police was involved they might want a statement from me, not that I felt threatened in anyway.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by salex
That, along with the lock, were what caused me to realized that I had my life raft for the trip.
Does anyone else find it odd that the life raft would be in a locked compartment? Don't know about you, but it kinda scares me....

Robin
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by Fishbait
Does anyone else find it odd that the life raft would be in a locked compartment? Don't know about you, but it kinda scares me....

Robin

it's lockable, I don't think it is actually locked.

-Vincent
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Fishbait

Robin
The life rafts are not in locked bins. The locked bin is in the rear of the aircraft (narrowbodies) and is for the use of crew only. I believe that is has a placard on it that read 'Not for passenger use, flight attendant use only', or something to that effect. Sometimes they lock, sometimes they don't.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by ani90
Quite a few posters have responded that they would not tolerate another pax removing their property from the overhead bin.

In what way would you not tolerate it is what I would like to learn - what exactly would you do in such a scenario after your bag has already been removed and the other pax has placed his or hers in its place?
"Your carryon would make an attractive hat. Are you requesting a fitting??"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.