Wiki Posts
Search

looking young & being elite

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2003, 9:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Viajero Joven -

As entropy mentioned, I spent last year living at Senior House. '93 was a bit before my time. I entered MIT in Fall '96. Most of the people I know from pre '96 are through my fraternity (Chi Phi). What brought you to campus for the summer?

And now, to at least feign an attempt at keeping this post on-topic... ...I remember once, my best friend and I were flying COEX from EWR-IAD on an ATR-72 (I think). The FA was really sweet, and one of those very jovial types...she came over, and kneeled down in the aisle next to us, and asked us if we were old enough to sit in the exit rows. My friend and I started giggling, and replied that we were both 20. She then got a bit embarrassed, and admitted that she had thought I was 14, and my friend 15. But she was really sweet about it. We just thought it funny that she thought we weren't even old enough to drive!

Old May 1, 2003, 1:50 pm

My whole family was traveling first class out of Orlando. They specifically stated that due to the location, Orlando did not do any pre-boarding of children.

As they called first class and my whole family walked up to the gate, the agent stated only First Class or Elites were allowed at this time to which we answered 'we qualify for both.'
Old May 1, 2003, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Well, since Hootie Johnson has most of the year off, Gord might ask him to come in and work on some new rules for first class. That should take care of the problem.
Old May 1, 2003, 3:02 pm

I am in my early 20's, and honestly can say I haven't had too many problems lately. I used to get a lot of glances or attempts to push me out of the way a few years ago , but I just return the favor with a nasty look and make it a point to block the path to the podium for them. CO staff has been testing my patience lately though. If they decide to shout out the line is for first class only, I either ignore them or shout back "yes, I CAN read the signs". That usually pisses them off when others in the line chuckle.

I can't recall having a problem when I dress nice, but when in jeans and a t-shirt is when my problems have occured. I think that it's wrong to judge someone on their wardrobe, since not all elites have to dress in business attire, but that is just the way it is.

Nice to see a fair share of people in their 20's here. Do people from this board ever meet up and get together?
Old May 1, 2003, 3:10 pm

Location: Houston, TX, USA; CO Plat Hilton Gold Starwood Gold
I am 25, and plat for the last three years. Got denied an upgrade at IAH for looking young (the ticketing agent didn't believe I was the elite member... argh). That seat flew empty. I got a confirmed domestic F upgrade out of it (yay, as if I wasn't at 100% already). I've also been carded countless times at the PC. *shrug*, I guess I'll miss these days in a couple years, when I look as old as an elite "should" be. (Although I'll not miss those outrageous rental car "underage" fees, but that's another thread entirely...)
Old May 1, 2003, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Nice to see a fair share of people in their 20's here. Do people from this board ever meet up and get together?</font>
See generally FlyerTalk Community
http://www.flyertalk.com/forumcgi/fo...nity&number=95

See, e.g., NRT: 1030-1630, Thur., 20 Mar 03 & 1630-2100, Tue., 25 Mar 03
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum95/HTML/003124.html

Originally posted by Fishbait:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">"Oh, I hadn't realized the children had a specific choice in mind". But it was not difficult to read between the lines. It has happened often enough that I do not doubt the intentions.</font>
Robin,

I strongly admire your philosophy and the example you set for your family about not letting "little" things make you unduly angry. On the other hand, an objective injustice is being done here.

I'm sure if you prepared a short, non-vindictive, matter-of-fact letter to CO, it would be a simple matter to make minimal modifications as to flight number, etc., each time this happens. I know you and your family are very good CO customers, and do not be embarrassed to include a non-aggressive sentence or paragraph mentioning this.

By making this effort to restore human dignity and respect to all persons, you will be doing even more than you already do to make this world a better place.
Old May 1, 2003, 6:36 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Regarding other passengers being amazed at your achievement of elite status at such a young age: It is positive for you because you are exceptional. It is negative for the observer because it is sometimes evidence of prejudice. I think about the times I've been told, "You speak such good english." I reply, "Yes, and a good thing too since it is the only language that I know."

Regarding airline staff checking to make sure you are properly qualified and credentialed: I appreciate that CO's staff is diligent and makes sure that only Elite's board during Elite boarding and only passengers with small children board during that phase. Emotionally commentary from them and accusations of fraud and lying are not appreciated and should be highlighted to give the staff member involved a chance to observe the error of their ways.
Old May 1, 2003, 6:54 pm

Location: EWR - CO PLAT, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Delta Gold
I am 31 and have the same issues. I have ben elite since I was 22 as I have always had to travel extensively for my jobs.

As a 31 year old female -- I too often look very young ..and always get the "TUDE" from CO employees.
Old May 1, 2003, 7:58 pm

Last night I was 3rd in line to board my flight and when boarding began some guy and 2 of his friends forced their way in front of me.As luck would have it, he ended up seated next to me.When I sat down he said " oh I didn't know you were in f/c " I had on jeans and a golf shirt.
Old May 1, 2003, 8:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
How about this one? They already called the first class line and then call elite. The elites pile up and are going thru and all of a sudden a couple from the back start pushing thru screaming "we are first class" and pushing by all the elites that were in line correctly
Old May 1, 2003, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
My "bad" experiences as a young elitest are more with other passengers than of CO employees. I don't think in all my miles a CO employee was ever rude, inappropriate, or unprofessional because of my age ...they've given me the same level of respect as other elite travelers have received, regardless of age.

But as some have mentioned in the threads above, sometimes other passengers love to be rude and throw their weight around. There's been times when I've been a paid 1st class traveler ...only to have an older Platinum elite cut his way into the line in front of me saying "sorry, they're boarding us important types first." (I always love it when those "important types" are in the back while I'm up in 1st class.)

While I'm sure age is a factor, the same people that are rude to you in these cases will probably be rude to you regardless of your age.
Old May 1, 2003, 8:59 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Unfortunately, I think the sitution at the boarding gate is often chaotic with lots of non-FC, non-elites piled up at the front waiting for their row to be announced.

I am not particularly young looking, but I often find that people will cut in front of me thinking that I am one of those waiting for my row to be called. I find it slightly rude that they do so without asking if I am in line.
Old May 1, 2003, 10:19 pm

I'm only sliver and 24, but I find that other passengers cut in front of me all the time. It happens rather consistantly.

Also, the TSA always give me problems saying that my shoes and belt are going to set off the machine. I always ask them if they got a new machine since monday, because it never went off the last 30 times I've gone.

It also happens to me at hotels. One morning I was standing in line to hand the front desk person my laundry for pressing and a well dressed lady cuts me off and says, "sorry I'm a gold member". Luckily the front desk staff knew me, so they told the pushy lady, "well then you won't mind that I take care of our platinum members first". She got all huffy and just stood there while I did my business.

Since my job takes me away from home during the week, I can safely say that I have lived in hotels more than at home for the last few years. I didn't join any miles / stays / point programs until last year, but I could have made Hilton Diamond, and AA Gold when I was 22. I don't like to think about all the lost points before I discovered Flyertalk.

I can't wait until I'm 25 so that I can use Hertz, and Avis on weekends without the underage fee.
Old May 1, 2003, 10:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
So when are we having a flyertalk under 30 get together?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum95/HTML/003302.html
Old May 1, 2003, 11:15 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
OK, Im starting to feel horrible...Im 24, and look 24, but I NEVER had a problem with CO, NW or any other airline employees or pax.
My guess is, even though I dont dress up to fly (whatever Im wearing to work, business casual, or jeans and a t-shirt), I have been told I LOOK like a foreigner (what do you know, I am European! :0) ), so airline employees dont bother me as much ("Let that Euro Trash go through"!)...I just dont know...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.