Search

New service to St. Johns, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2004, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
New service to St. Johns, Canada

Haven't seen a PR.

Continental's regional affiliate Continental Express will inagurate non-stop service between Newark and St. Johns on 1 June 2004:

CO 3253 EWR 1720-2206 YYT ERJ Daily
CO 3254 YYT 0600-0750 EWR ERJ Daily

Seasonal service through 29 September 2004.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:14 am

To be clear, this is Newfoundland and not New Brunswick.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:12 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by happymob:
To be clear, this is Newfoundland and not New Brunswick.</font>
That would explain the seasonal service. Never been east of Nova Scotia, but hear Newfoundland is beautiful. New Brunswick was pretty nice as well.

Edited to add that I've never been east of Nova Scotia in Canada, as I've been to Europe once or twice

EmailKid

------------------
I am NOT a tin elite! Then again, what the hell do I know?

[This message has been edited by emailkid (edited Mar 16, 2004).]
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Saint John, NB. Airport code: YSJ
St. John's, NF. Airport code: YYT

Edit: Thanks YYZC2 for pointing out my earlier mistake. It's YSJ, not YSL.

[This message has been edited by rkkwan (edited Mar 16, 2004).]
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Here is an article concerning this:

http://gateway.yellowbrix.com/pages/...gory=Airfares&
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:46 pm

Programs: US Gold, *A Gold, SPG Gold, ex-CO Gold
i find it unbelievable that this is over a three hour flight on a jungle jet and according to the website no meal will be served on either flight. what happened to "meals being served at mealtimes"?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 1:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rkkwan:
Saint John, NB. Airport code: YSL
St. John's, NF. Airport code: YYT
</font>
Not quite. St. John's, NF is YYT; Saint John, NB is YSJ. (YSL is St. Leonard, NB.)

Even Canadians get the two cities confused. Two ways to remember are that the Newfoundland city is possesive (has an 's at the end) and its "Saint" is usually abbreviated, whereas the New Brunsick city's "Saint" is traditionally not.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 2:26 am

Official PR -
http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRela...storyid=109506

Funny - they didn't mention in the PR that it will be be a Continental Express route served by a jungle jet, but did say - "...EliteAccess customers flying beyond the New York area also are eligible for complimentary first class upgrades..."
Old Mar 17, 2004, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
And how 'bout the fantastic arrival/departure times. Leave YYT at 6am? I don't think so.

Why does it take almost 5 hours to get there and less than two to get back?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:20 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Why does it take almost 5 hours to get there and less than two to get back?</font>
Remember time zones?

[This message has been edited by snake (edited Mar 17, 2004).]
Old Mar 17, 2004, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snake:
Remember time zones? </font>
D'oh! I should know better!

Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:18 am

Newfoundland has one of those “half-hour” time zones. When it noon in New York, it’s 1:30 pm in St. John’s.

Great to see Continental at YYT! Great scenery! Great people! Just ask the thousands that were put-up here when trans-Atlantic flights were diverted on 9-11.

Continental is certainly building a presence in Atlantic Canada. Up to three flights a day last summer between EWR and YHZ (Halifax) with ERJs and mainline 737s. Next city: Hopefully YQM (Moncton, NB)
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:34 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ghYHZ:
Newfoundland has one of those “half-hour” time zones. When it noon in New York, it’s 1:30 pm in St. John’s.</font>
Old Canadian joke:

The world will end at twelve o'clock, 12:30 in Newfoundland

Edited to explain joke to those not privy to Canadian TV, at least in the olden days. Don't remember seeing it lately when visiting.

Anyways, in promos for TV shows the announcer would say (for example) full details on W5 (Canadian news show) at 6 p.m., 6:30 in Newfoundland.

EmailKid

------------------
I am NOT a tin elite! Then again, what the hell do I know?

[This message has been edited by emailkid (edited Mar 17, 2004).]
Old Mar 17, 2004, 4:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
And how 'bout the fantastic arrival/departure times. Leave YYT at 6am? I don't think so.

Why does it take almost 5 hours to get there and less than two to get back?
</font>
Actually, I respectfully disagree about the times of the flight. Since there is only one daily departure, you would want it so that it would: a) have great connection times to the rest of the schedule in EWR and b) Appeal to any business travelers who want to do business in either NY or NF.

The EWR-YYT; 5:20PM departure gives anyone connecting in EWR to YYT plenty of time to make the connection and also the person doing business in NY can have most of the day before he has to leave for the airport.

The YYT-EWR; 6am departure gives the person who wants to do business in NY all day to conduct their business and also give them a wide variety of connections. (even though waiting for a Europe connection would stink big time.

I think the times makes sense for the limited/seasonal market it is.

- HobokenFlyer
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:19 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
There should be a morning & an evening flight in each direction. Americans vacationing/ doing biz in NF would like most of the day in NF after paying for the previous night's hotel.
Also, 6AM is way too early esp. 4A flight into slow time. A 9AM flight would arrive 11AM to connect to noonish onward flights &or allow all afternoon in NYC while fairly well-rested.

BTW, I agree that this route deserves real jets & meals .

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!

[This message has been edited by Brendan (edited Mar 18, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.