Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Current Plat short 1,800 mi. for '04 Plat - any experiences with leniency?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member

This Friday I have a mileage run scheduled that was to take me over the magic 75K to maintain my Plat status. Now I just realized that my DL trip a month ago was on a fare class that only counts 50% to Elite, so I am around 1,800 miles short. There's no way I can fit another MR in by year end.

Does anyone have experience with calling or writing to OP and asking for leniency when one is so close to Plat and has been Plat for several years (especially with regards to the poorly communicated policy on reduced credit for some DL flights)?
Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:24 pm
Suspended

i thought the leniency was 500 miles. the only way i could see letting nearly 2K miles slide is if you fly mostly on full fare tickets. full fare toppings make gordon drool.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:31 pm

Location: SFO (sometimes TVL), NYC, CHI but nowhere in between.
Programs: NW Gold
They claim there is no leniency. Only once have I seen status been "given away" -- it was when my mom made UA Premier one year and stopped flying UA the next year. The extender her status another year hoping she'd continue to fly.

Consider paying the $100+ to change your MR and add a few segments. Or just cough up the time and dough for a co.com special (minimum 900 miles each way, e.g. EWR-MCO for $175 this weekend)
Old Dec 3, 2003, 3:09 pm

You will kick yourself if you don't take one mileage run for a mere 1800 miles, I personally don't think CO will be lenient.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
co.com special is a good suggestion - unless you have to at work on Monday. But instead of Orlando (blaaah!), why not Bermuda? (wow!)
Old Dec 3, 2003, 4:43 pm

You can take the $256 morning ewr-sfo flight dec 13th and return the same day.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 4:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
My dad was at a little over 74,900 a couple of years ago and called and they gave it to him (plat).

- HobokenFlyer

Old Dec 4, 2003, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Argh! I just realized that Mrs. Xyzzy will be 384 miles short of silver with her scheduled EWR->SFO flights next week! Of course, the el-cheapo EWR->SFO fares all require non-stop travel, so I can't route her through IAH in one direction without more than doubling the cost of the trip. Also, there are great fares on PHL->SFO (requiring a connection) but those require a 10 day advance purchase. There are no decent fares involving ZFV, OAK or SJC.

Two questions:[*]Will the e-checkin machine's "change flights" button allow EWR->IAH->SFO routings to be substituted if the fare rules don't allow stops and there is availability? Doing that one way should push her over the top.[*]Has anyone actually had Onepass grant them silver status on request if they were less than 500 miles short?

Right now she's on an award ticket but I could cancel that for $35 if I thought she'd make silver with a purchased ticket.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:01 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Look at the "Fare Rules and Restrictions", if it says:

Code:
 3.PRIOR TO TICKETED DEPARTURE
 TIMEPASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED
 RESERVATIONS AND TICKETS MAY STANDBY ON
 NONSTOP AND/OR CONNECTING CO FLIGHTS ON THE
 SAME DAY AND BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN AND
 DESTINATION AIPORTS. PASSENGERS MAY STANDBY
 ON SAME DAY FLIGHTS AFTER THEIR TICKETED
 DEPARTURE TIME ONLY IF THEY HAVE CANCELLED
 THEIR RESERVATION PRIOR TO THE TICKETED
 DEPARTURE TIME.
You should be able to get on connecting flights on the day of travel.

[This message has been edited by snake (edited Dec 04, 2003).]
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
D'oh! I missed that. I guess we'll try...
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I'm not so sure that works. Section 3A states this:
Code:
 A. THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL COST PROVIDED THE
FLIGHT/S AND ROUTING ARE APPLICABLE FOR THE
FARE CHARGED.
B. IF THE CHANGE IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR THE
FARE CHARGED-I.E. INVALID ROUTING/
AIRPORT/DEPARTURE TIME/ETC/-THEN THE
) PSGR MUST PAYTHE DIFFERENCE INFARES
PLUS THE CHANGE FEE.
There are no routing restrictions listed in the fare rules on CO.com, but with the Expedia tool there are and it specifies "ROUTING 601 FROM-TO EWR-CO-SFO*" I'm pretty sure this is the same fare.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:58 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tummy:
You can take the $256 morning ewr-sfo flight dec 13th and return the same day.</font>
i just pulled flights up per the above. they have some wickedly tight connections (one was 11 minutes). why does CO.O.L do this?
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I couldn't find any EWR-&gt;SFO flights (for the days needed) with connections for $256.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Put Mrs. xyzzy on Amtrak to Boston and you follow in car. Pick her up; drive home.

500 miles. Don't need any CO air connection to get miles for that trip.

Done.

- HF
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:32 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">HobokenFlyer suggests:

Put Mrs. xyzzy on Amtrak to Boston and you follow in car. Pick her up; drive home.</font>
And don't tell nobody if she gets off before her destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.