Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Decent SEA to Costa Rica Z fares

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Decent SEA to Costa Rica Z fares

I got a couple of SEA-SJO confirmed international Z first class fares for approx $850. If routed properly through EWR *and* IAH one could get 15,000 EQMs and ride all in 1st.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA; The Peninsula
This is a good find. Know if IAH-SJO (737-800) is B/F?

From LAX, the Z fare is $711...but unfortunately routed thru IAH (8,793 EQM r/t). Can someone with more knowledge than I check to see about alternate, permissible routings ex-LAX?

Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Peninsula

From LAX, the Z fare is $711...but unfortunately routed thru IAH (8,793 EQM r/t). Can someone with more knowledge than I check to see about alternate, permissible routings ex-LAX?

Thanks.
I'll be on the EWR-SJO flight in a few weeks...it's sold as BF but I'm told to expect domestic F service....it seems all of the EWR flights at 738 but the IAh flights do have some 757's in there...not sure which configs they are though
Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravelMann
I got a couple of SEA-SJO confirmed international Z first class fares for approx $850. If routed properly through EWR *and* IAH one could get 15,000 EQMs and ride all in 1st.
Anything in a 737 is not B/F. It will be a domestic F service. In fact, most of the Central America flights offer EUA, even though they are international, because they are just domestic service. I have no idea if the 757 IAH-SJO is B/F or domestic, but I'd guess domestic, as I would think CO is keeping the B/F 757s on the East coast so they can get to Europe every night.

That being said, while the CPM is a bit high, it is in confirmed F, so at least you'll be comfortable.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
... I have no idea if the 757 IAH-SJO is B/F or domestic, but I'd guess domestic, as I would think CO is keeping the B/F 757s on the East coast so they can get to Europe every night.
Flown it many times, it's always been FC. And you can tell the a/c configuration from the CO seat map. They can always do a last minute sub (but they never did on any of my flights).

EmailKid
Old Aug 14, 2005, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

That being said, while the CPM is a bit high, it is in confirmed F, so at least you'll be comfortable.
I know the CPM is a bit high (which why it's here and not in mileage run forum) but I am so jaded anymore with the CO system (maybe a 50% upgrade rate--20% out of EWR-SEA-EWR) that I'd rather find a fare like this and do 4 of them and knock almost all of my requalifying quickly and in F and then be done with CO except during off peak months in the ANC-SEA market which I fly twice monthly. If these fares would just allow an *official* layover, they would be incredible for my uses.

I didn't mean to imply that it was business. It reads in my reservation as INt'l Business Z (see below). I am aware the EUA works on most Latin American destinations so I was only expecting regular F. I am always pleasantly surprised out of ANC when I get an aircraft (757) with the BF config, seats with footrests and tons of space... That's not the case here unless, as stated, there's a last minute change.

Also note: as I was selecting seats from seat maps for my itineraries, I was stunned at the number of seats occupied in F up through early November. They really are selling bunches of F/A/Z now. I still think EUA is out of whack though.

Anyway, I just shake my head that Someone going destined for EWR on my flight in F probably paid $1,100+ for their seat. I'm going twice as far on to SJO, but paying $300 less.

Depart:
8:00 a.m.
Mon., Sep. 19, 2005
Seattle, WA (SEA)
Arrive:
4:07 p.m.
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Flight Time:
5 hr 7 mn
OnePass Miles/ Elite Qualification:
2,401/150%
Flight: CO1580
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Fare Class: First (Z)
Meals: Breakfast

Change Planes. Connect time in New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) is 48 minutes.

Depart:
4:55 p.m.
Mon., Sep. 19, 2005
Arrive:
8:20 p.m.
San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO)
Flight Time:
5 hr 25 mn

Travel Time:
11 hr 20 mn
2,214/150%

Total Miles:
Flight: CO1796
Aircraft: Boeing 737-700
Fare Class: International Business (Z)
Meals: Dinner

Depart:
8:30 a.m.
Fri., Sep. 23, 2005
Arrive:
3:35 p.m.
Travel Time:
5 hr 5 mn
2,214/150%
Flight: CO1797

Depart:
1:55 p.m.
Sat., Sep. 24, 2005
Arrive:
4:38 p.m.
Seattle, WA (SEA)
Travel Time:
5 hr 43 mn
2,401/150%
Flight: CO1681
Old Aug 14, 2005, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Share any *bargain* F fares you stumble upon!

Does anyone know of any other reasonable F fares, either domestic or Int'l. The most reasonable I've found are to New Orleans, Anchorage (sadly, pulled now) and San Jose. Is August-Nov a bad time to go to Costa Rica? Why are the F/Z fares so low there but much higher to neighboring Panama and Caracas?

Thanks.
I'm no expert, but I just went in and used the multiple desitnation function and easily got it to price out to San Jose from LAX via EWR and for $40 LESS than the IAH routing, Peninsula! I did it with a stopover of a day in EWR, but if you do the red eye, you go straight through. Here is my example below. You could probably add in EWR-IAH and still get the same price while adding more miles and EQM. I was told travel has to be completed by mid-November (sorry, I can't remember the date the agent told me.) All in F/Z, this is too sweet to pass up.

1 Adult $679.00
Taxes/Fees $72.35
Total Price $751.35

Depart:
12:45 p.m.
Fri., Oct. 21, 2005
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Arrive:
8:57 p.m.
Travel Time:
5 hr 12 mn
2,454/150%
Flight: CO90
Aircraft: Boeing 757-200
Meals: Lunch
Promotional Offer Applied

Depart:
5:00 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 22, 2005
Arrive:
8:09 p.m.
Travel Time:
5 hr 9 mn
2,214/150%
Flight: CO1796

Depart:
8:30 a.m.
Wed., Oct. 26, 2005
Arrive:
3:34 p.m.
Flight Time:
5 hr 4 mn
2,214/150%
Flight: CO1797

Change Planes. Connect time in New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) is 1 hour 41 minutes.

Depart:
5:15 p.m.
Wed., Oct. 26, 2005
Arrive:
8:14 p.m.
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Flight Time:
5 hr 59 mn

Travel Time:
12 hr 44 mn
2,454/150%

Total Miles:
Flight: CO1602

Last edited by TravelMann; Aug 14, 2005 at 5:13 pm
Old Aug 14, 2005, 5:32 pm
Suspended

It's an SJO Thing

I know this is the CO forum, but it seems to be a SJO thing. UA publishes a Business Class fare JFK-SJO r/t for $1200. It allows routing through LAX, and it books into D (not Z). Therefore, it is upgradeable to First on the UA p.s. transcon flight. It's awesome.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Why are the F/Z fares so low there but much higher to neighboring Panama and Caracas?
Everybody and his brother flies to Costa Rica. Hell, I've even seen Cubana at the airport. Come to think of it, even Southwest , but the plane only had the WN paint scheme, not the lettering, so it was probably going to be transferred to another carrier.

It's a popular tourist destination, and pretty much the only constatly expensive fare to SJO is out of IAH. Ah yes, the good old hub penalty .... err, nonstop premium

EmailKid
Old Nov 21, 2005, 2:49 pm

Programs: NW Silver, AA Gold
Anything in a 737 is not B/F. It will be a domestic F service. In fact, most of the Central America flights offer EUA, even though they are international, because they are just domestic service.
Sorry to dredge up an old thread... saved Upgrademe the trouble , but can anyone confirm that this is indeed standard F meal service i.e. IAH-SEA, or something similar the more upscaled transcon service. Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2005, 2:53 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I know this is the CO forum, but it seems to be a SJO thing. UA publishes a Business Class fare JFK-SJO r/t for $1200. It allows routing through LAX, and it books into D (not Z). Therefore, it is upgradeable to First on the UA p.s. transcon flight. It's awesome.

And other ST partners too. I flew DL LAX-ATL-SJO in July for about $770r/t in Z, getting 10,700 NW EQMs for my trouble. Then I flew COPA to get to MGA for a wedding, picking up another 1000 EQMs.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by jflyboi
Sorry to dredge up an old thread... saved Upgrademe the trouble , but can anyone confirm that this is indeed standard F meal service i.e. IAH-SEA, or something similar the more upscaled transcon service. Thanks!
not sure about EWR-sjo, but iah-sjo dinner service , linen table cloth prior to all service, nuts (cant remember if warm), nice salad, two hot choices, and sundae. flight time is just at 3.5 hours. not sure if ewr-sjo is the same, or more similar to transcon. it was nice none the less.

breakfast was great. i was link on airlinemeals.net, but im not sure which ones they are.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
Standard Domestic F service (I believe CO sells it as domestic F....NWA codeshares and sells it as WBC though)
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:59 am
Original Poster

EWR-SJO was definitely much nicer than domestic F, say SEA--IAH. Much more like transcon (it was a narrow body aircraft), maybe just a bit better They had the menus printed and the choices were things like swordfish and filet. I recall, at least, three choices. It seems they always offer a pasta bowl (with or without chicken). I think they did the sundaes. I prefer the pecan turtle cake or something chocolate. People seem to really like ice cream??? What's up with that? How about some sinful, fancy desserts. I did morning flights back. Can't recall. Really hate breakfast flights anyway (usually means I've risen at some ungodly hourly anyway).

I've done it a couple of times and the fare is hovering around $900 (SEA-SJO) through March, I believe. Trying to plan another one. I waited too long on the BF SEA-EZE fare for approx $2,200.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EWR-SJO was definitely much nicer than domestic F, say SEA--IAH. Much more like transcon (it was a narrow body aircraft), maybe just a bit better They had the menus printed and the choices were things like swordfish and filet. I recall, at least, three choices. It seems they always offer a pasta bowl (with or without chicken). I think they did the sundaes. I prefer the pecan turtle cake or something chocolate. People seem to really like ice cream??? What's up with that? How about some sinful, fancy desserts. I did morning flights back. Can't recall. Really hate breakfast flights anyway (usually means I've risen at some ungodly hourly anyway).

I've done it a couple of times and the fare is hovering around $900 (SEA-SJO) through March, I believe. Trying to plan another one. I waited too long on the BF SEA-EZE fare for approx $2,200.
I was recently on EWR<>SJO and didn't have printed menu's eithe way (maybe I was just unlucky)....IMO service seemed par for CO's F product

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.