Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye from a Plat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2003, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Goodbye from a Plat

After numerous attempts (6 phone calls and 2-3 hours) to book 4 FC tix to OGG next year, either standard awards or purchase with miles upgrade, this CO Plat gave up. I called AA and purchased 4 tickets, used a combo of wife's and my miles to upgrade, and 15 minutes later our vacation was in motion. By the way, I have NO status with American.

I called OP back, transfered all of my 370,000 miles into HHonors, and vow never to fly this airline again.

Goodbye and good riddance.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:10 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond
What was the problem that required multiple calls?
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:35 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
As I said in the other thread, I get about 2 notes like the above a week via e-mail.

Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NJDavid:
...I get about 2 notes like the above a week via e-mail.</font>
DENY, DENY, DENY!
Old Aug 13, 2003, 7:19 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
In general, I find there's an increasing and disturbing (or maybe just plain stupid) trend among a lot of companies who treat their most loyal customers like dirt. I mean, if I were CO Plat and had gone through this same experience, I'd say see you later to CO, too. Is all the world becoming like the telephone company?
Old Aug 13, 2003, 8:16 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dcdpe:
I called OP back, transfered all of my 370,000 miles into HHonors, and vow never to fly this airline again.</font>
how valuable are Hilton points? are there black-out dates, for example? are they restrictive like OnePass miles (although i realize nearly nothing is as restrictive as OnePass miles).

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 08-13-2003).]
Old Aug 13, 2003, 8:22 am

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
HHONORS points are worth about 1/10 of a one pass mile. Sort of like LIRA used to be. Drop a zero and then it makes sense.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like an overreaction. Hey, I'm a CO Platinum and I can't get any standard reward seats to Hawaii either. It's certainly annoying me -- and causing me to value my OnePass miles less, and probably dimminshing my loyalty for flying CAL -- but that's about it. We all know this ff stuff is a game -- sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 8:41 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
As a CO Platinum, the only thing that would really make me go to another airline is if they started restricting domestic first class upgrades.

Currently, all my travel is domestic and I have been upgraded on every flight I've had this year on CO and NW.

Yeah, the FF mileage award redemption can be annoying and cumbersome, but it's worth it for the comfort when I fly.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 8:46 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
dcdpe seems to think that AA treated him better then CO, iahphx, sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I switched from AA to CO in '92 when I couldn't get reward tickets on AA but didn't have any problems using borrowed CO miles.

But things change with time, and so has CO, my friend.

I'm a CO Platinum and took my last CO flight last September, having completed the "Worst to First" roundtrip.

[This message has been edited by Old Gold (edited 08-13-2003).]
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:11 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cigarman:
HHONORS points are worth about 1/10 of a one pass mile. Sort of like LIRA used to be. Drop a zero and then it makes sense.</font>
if that's the case, then a 2:1 conversion doesn't sound all that peachy.

Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:50 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
For 150,000 points (or 175,000 points for a premium property) as a HHonors VIP you can stay anywhere in the world for 6 nights.

At about $300 a night thats $1,800 for 150,000 HHonors points, or 75K CO miles (through August only). That's a pretty good value.

And, as a Diamond VIP (Hilton's top tier elite) Blackout dates are waived. This is unlike CO's devaluation of their top-tier elite where not only are the restrictions still enforced with "no waivers or favors", but we've experienced what is actually worse availablity of rewards if you have more miles to spend in your account.

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 08-13-2003).]
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:21 am
Suspended

I think cigarman has smoke in his eyes I just transferred my last 90k miles over to HHonors which I can use for 6 days (175 points) at either the Hawaiian Hiltons, or the Rome Hilton add 5k points and I can have 7 nights at a great property such as the Conrad Mount Juliet in Ireland.
90k miles is just enough for one domestic Easypass ticket.
mike
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:42 am
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DawgmanOH:
As a CO Platinum, the only thing that would really make me go to another airline is if they started restricting domestic first class upgrades.</font>

By flying jungle jets with no FC section on mainline routes and keeping the flights at A9F0, how much more restrictive do you think it could be?
Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Old Gold:
[b]dcdpe seems to think that AA treated him better then CO, iahphx, sounds pretty reasonable to me.</font>
Hey, if you can find greener grass, you should sit on it. Give me a good upgrade program + good reward availability + flying where I need to go, and I'll switch, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.