Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

6am Flight out EWR- Best way to get there from DC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6am Flight out EWR- Best way to get there from DC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2003, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Tolls will add another $10 or so, and you have to add gas -- but you get to stop when/where you want and it's probably a lot more pleasant to sleep in the back seat for a few hours than to try to find someplace comfortable at EWR.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 7:41 am

I know the Trenton train station well, since I take it every day.

There really isn't much to do there in the middle of the night as its a small station. All of the shops will be closed there. I suggest that you instead stop at Newark Penn station or EWR station. You will have more to do at the EWR airport than you would at Trenton.

BTW there are several PATH stations, but no Amtrak or NJ transit stations in Jersey City.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes I too was wondering what Amtrak train stops in Jersey City? If you choose to stay up all night, I would go to Newark Penn Station and not wait in Trenton. You can always go across the street and sit in the lobby of the Gateway Hilton for the remaining hours I imagine.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Any info on the Chinatown buses between DC and NY?

Between Boston and NY, I know that fungwahbus.com is one company.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
www.easternshuttle.com is another one.
Company was once offering $15 one way and they have a bus that leaves after midnight.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Jul 2, 2003, 12:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idealflyer:
... plus I get to snag CO miles still, right?
</font>
You will get CO miles only if you take the train to New York Penn.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by apirchik:
You will get CO miles only if you take the train to New York Penn.</font>
...unless your train ticket is part of a CO itinerary. That's another way to go, but it's probably too late in this case as the air portion has most likely already been purchased.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idealflyer:
Sticking to the train, either 9 or 10p departure plus I get to snag CO miles still, right?
</font>
Not exactly. Your ticket needs to originate in DC (Union station) and end in New York Penn; HOWEVER, there's nothing stopping you from getting off of the train at an earlier stop!

Also, only Acela and Metroliner tickets are good for OnePass miles. However, you can use your Acela/Metroliner ticket on any Unreserved train. (The 10pm departure out of DC is a reserved train - ask Amtrak reservations if an Acela/Metroliner ticket would be good for this train).

From CO.com:

Earn 500 miles per Business Class segment and 750 miles per First Class segment on Metroliner and Acela Express trains (no connecting flight required) between New York's Penn Station and the following train stations: Washington D.C. Make sure you provide your OnePass number to Amtrak when making reservations.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 11:28 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Two observations:
1. There is an 8pm Acela Express WAS-NWK arriving 10:30pm. You could cab it to a cheap hotel or maybe even get them to pick you up in the hotel shuttle. You'd be able to catch several hours of sleep before heading back to EWR to catch your 6am flight.
2. The 10pm train has sleeping cars. You'd be able to get a bedroom for about $70 more. You might be able to use code H327 to get 30% off your coach fare.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Hmmm, seems everyone enjoys a challange. Here is one, where could I fly on CO &lt; $300 roundtrip with taxes that would permit a stopover in EWR. Dates of travel would be:
DCA-EWR July 30 &gt; 6pm
EWR-Mystery city Aug 8 &gt; 6pm
Mystery city-DCA Flexible

Not impossible but can be done, I just have not found anything like this unless I use a mileage award and CO miles in July/August with no more status as difficult to get as a cab in Manhattan during rush hour and raining.

------------------
Going back to the bAAsics
Feed the world for FREE! One click at a time- www.thehungersite.com
Old Jul 3, 2003, 8:40 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Not impossible but can be done, I just have not found anything like this unless I use a mileage award and CO miles in July/August with no more status as difficult to get as a cab in Manhattan during rush hour and raining.

</font>
Don't you love all those CO miles you have and not being able to use them....
Old Jul 3, 2003, 2:36 pm
Suspended

one-way car rental. no traffic at that ungodly hour.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Right on. I used to live in Silver Spring and it was three hours flat from my front door to EWR. You could go get the car in the afternoon, have a nap, wake up and watch Letterman, then jump in the car and be checked in at the airport by 5am. Absolutely the easiest way.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's probably the cheapest as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.