Wiki Posts
Search

Refund for taxes on canceled award?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2002, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Refund for taxes on canceled award?

I've never done this, so I thought I'd ask people who might have:

When you cancel an award and pay the re-deposit fee, does CO at least refund you the taxes and fees for the award ticket?

Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:06 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Yup...takes a few weeks to get credited back to your CC, but it does get refunded.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:28 pm

On a similar note about taxes...

I usually use Continental miles for trips to Colombia, which usually comes with a $21 "co-pay" for taxes, fees and such (as recently as August 2002). I just booked the same flights as before for tomorrow, but using Northwest miles (thank you Sprint) and was charged a $44 "co-pay". Does anyone know if they've significantly raised the amount of taxes/fees one must pay? or if Continental actually absorbed them.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:52 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
When I refunded an award ticket recently, I received a statement in the mail from CO telling me the amount to be refunded, and that it would be processed to my card in 4-6 weeks!
Old Oct 9, 2002, 3:06 pm

Programs: OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Euroflyer:
When you cancel an award and pay the re-deposit fee, does CO at least refund you the taxes and fees for the award ticket?
</font>
Hold on to your itin and confirmations....in my case it took 10 months and three phone calls to get it back. I refunded an award ticket in late December 2001. By late Jan the refund didn't show up so I called OnePass. March came and it still didn't show up so I called again. The refund never came so I gave up.

Last week, while arranging another award ticket, I was going through some notes in my computer and came across the old unrefunded ticket. Since I was calling OnePass anyways, I figured I'd bring up the matter of this unrefunded ticket again.

Two days later I was pleasantly surprised to finally see the refund on my Amex.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 11:47 pm

Programs: QF Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duxfan:
When I refunded an award ticket recently, I received a statement in the mail from CO telling me the amount to be refunded, and that it would be processed to my card in 4-6 weeks! </font>
Sounds fairly speedy to me - I had to refund a 100% refundable ticket with BD a few months ago. Their 'average' refund time was 3 months! Amex refunded the charge directly within 24 hours

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.