Wiki Posts
Search

BF Menu Question

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2005, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold Elite; UA Premier Executive; HH Gold VIP
BF Menu Question

Much to my chagrin, it's been a while since I've flown to Europe in BF. The last time I did, they handed-out really well-done dark blue, multi-page menus.

This also used to be the case for the routes to Hawaii, but they've switched to the one-page card.

Can anyone tell me if these same cutbacks have affected the routes to Europe, or have they stuck with the "expanded" format?
Old May 10, 2005, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Hawaii is only pseduo-BF, AFAIK true BF has remained the same and according to the bigwigs, they have no intention of cutting back on true BF.
Old May 10, 2005, 12:28 pm

As of January it was the nice menus and kits in the BF cabin.
Old May 10, 2005, 1:41 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Loews Gold, Marriott Gold, etc. etc. etc
BusinessFirst to Europe is virtually unchanged from the late 1990s, the last time the product underwent a (minor) redesign.
Old May 10, 2005, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by CODC10
BusinessFirst to Europe is virtually unchanged from the late 1990s, the last time the product underwent a (minor) redesign.
Unchanged, although I recall there being more constant change in wines than now (they've had the same rotation for a while now), and differentiation in entrees for the destinations.

Now, all EWR-based BF flights have identical entrees and appetizers each month. Could have sworn they had more options across routes than today (Italy aside). Maybe I'm just imagining things given the amount of wine I consume in BF!
Old May 10, 2005, 2:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime PC Member
It seems to me that different routes have different meals. Check out this link: http://www.continental.com/travel/in...sfirst/dining/
Old May 10, 2005, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its all pretty much the same, they have some differences (Italy and the pacific destinations have some 'local fare'.

I wish they'd have more international selections on all routes, for food and beverages...
Old May 10, 2005, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I've always wondered why they have shrimp and crabmeat as toppers for all the TLV salads...it's almost as if they're trying to make their meals non-kosher to contrast with LY!
Old May 10, 2005, 6:13 pm

In BF are they still tryng to pass off the Paul Cheneau sparkling wine as champagne?

On a EWR- Paris flight I jokingly told the flight attendant that if she referred to that as champagne one more time France was going to revoke their lading rights in Paris.
Old May 10, 2005, 6:25 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Loews Gold, Marriott Gold, etc. etc. etc
Hence my use of the word "virtually".

From maybe 2001 to 2003, the wine selection in BF was abysmal, far behind even what DL was offering in BusinessElite (who used Vinum for their wine list at the time).

When they introduced their "Congress of Wine Masters", the quality and variety improved some, but they were at their best in the mid- to late-1990s.

By the way, what ever happened to CO's membership in the Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs? I'm not sure if it ever made a bit of difference in the menus, but the seal on the front of the menu was kind of cool.
Old May 10, 2005, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The wine... is not bad, for $10 bottles, which if you price them out is about what they are.

The 'champagne' has much to be desired, the last 4 times i flew in J they had this Charles LaFitte garbage and no Piper.

there have been several questions as to why they cater so un-kosherly for the TLV flights. Judging from the lack of wine/alcohol consumption they could probably cut a lot of that as well....
Old May 11, 2005, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold Elite; UA Premier Executive; HH Gold VIP
Many tha?

Thanks for the quick replies -- I knew you would all have an answer. BTW, on the topic of wines and Champagnes, does anyone remember the "R" Ruinart selection for Champagne?

I had never heard of it before flying BF. Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but was it reputable?
Old May 11, 2005, 1:33 am

It appears there is a distinct difference between predeparture champagne and inflight champagne. The former is fake champagne, or sekt, and the latter is real champagne. The latter has changed since a couple of months in Lafitte (unfortunately). Further, the wine selection has changed somewhat, but more importantly, on recent trips, there was only one white wine choice (the FA argued that it was actually 2 since I could also opt for the white champagne ). On return from GIG tot EWR, they completely ran out of wine, due to stocking problems. I was in row 1 and had the very last drip of wine, which I had to share with the better half.

The menu varies by month and by destinations, so when flying on different destinations, one will encounter the set menus very rapidly over and over again. Hence, I inquired about new menus on flyertalk some time ago. In the meantime small adjustments have been made, like the scoons and clotted cream.

I only hope they never change the cobbler...
Old May 11, 2005, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld
Many tha?

Thanks for the quick replies -- I knew you would all have an answer. BTW, on the topic of wines and Champagnes, does anyone remember the "R" Ruinart selection for Champagne?

I had never heard of it before flying BF. Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but was it reputable?

The non-vintage is decent. In Florida it is hard to find for under $40. Have seen it on-line for $30, and available at Echelon Wines (California) for $25.50.

Vintage Ruinart can get expensive like other champagnes. When CO served Ruinart the wine was also excellent on the CO flights. I was never impressed with the food in BF, other than dessert and fruit and cheese.
Old May 11, 2005, 7:16 am

I also should note that the second meals on all transatlantic flights to/from EWR (except TLV) have been cut back slightly since 9/11, especially the eastbound red-eye breakfast. I must say though, I do quite like the way they do it now, it's a little lighter and more relaxed, which makes sense especially since just about everybody in the cabin is out until the very last minute before arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.