Wiki Posts
Search

Can InsideFlyer Be Trusted?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2002, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Can InsideFlyer Be Trusted?

Until we find out why so many votes were tossed out, I really thing the integrity of InsideFlyer, and Randy himself, is in doubt. I really think we all deserve an explaination.
Old Apr 26, 2002, 8:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Actually, cutting off the tails of such a distribution is rather common practice. However, I am not sure that it was done correctly, as I have always seen the top x% taken off the top and the bottom. Just throwing out the 1s seems less than optimal. I do not however think it is a question of Randy's integrity as this title suggests. If he were really trying to pull the wool over our eyes he might not have told us at all.

[This message has been edited by mktozd (edited 04-26-2002).]
Old Apr 26, 2002, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mktozd:
Actually, cutting off the tails of such a distribution is rather common practice. However, I am not sure that it was done correctly, as I have always seen the top x% taken off the top and the bottom. Just throwing out the 1s seems less than optimal. I do not however think it is a question of Randy's integrity as this title suggests. If he were really trying to pull the wool over our eyes he might not have told us at all.

[This message has been edited by mktozd (edited 04-26-2002).]
</font>

Your points are very well taken. I have seen "the ends" taken off before, but never just one end. As the editor of InsideFlyer, who sponsers the Freddy Awards, he does have some responsibility for it. And again, I could be way off base. But until we know why things happened the way it happened, there will continue to be discussion and rumor.

[This message has been edited by Seth (edited 04-26-2002).]
Old Apr 27, 2002, 9:53 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
yet we still have no response... very disturbing..

------------------
Freddies? Shreddies!
You vote might count, unless you gave it a low value...
Old Apr 27, 2002, 11:15 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I fly American and Continental.... AA has it hands down. Their international upgrade policy runs circles around Continental, and in my opinion that is where it counts.

------------------
AA member since 1981
Old Apr 28, 2002, 7:50 am
Suspended

Location: IAH-LAX -IAH Continental - Platinum EARNED(with calouses on my butt) Hilton Honors - Diamond
Why should IF be any different from the Federal Government.

Randy was quoted in USA today on Friday 4/26 in regards to upgrade percentages saying he fly's coach

Yah Right !

------------------
"A Southwest line never gets longer, It only gets wider"

Let's keep MileTracker alive and well

http://www.moonlightlabs.com/support.html
Old Apr 28, 2002, 10:02 am

TxLobo...it doesn't count if one is a heavy domestic flyer....CO smokes AA domestically....newer equipment...better food...unlimited free upgrades...I could go on....the only issue CO has now is how better to serve the West Coast..and I have a sneaking suspicion that they are working on something.

[This message has been edited by IM4Travel (edited 04-28-2002).]
Old Apr 28, 2002, 11:08 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TxLobo:
I fly American and Continental.... </font>
Check. Got it. AA better for international (by most accounts,) CO better for domestic (by most accounts)-- what does this have to do with the topic of this particular thread? (usually I'm the one guilty of this...)

Old Apr 28, 2002, 11:13 am

I haven't figured it out yet either...but I felt compelled to respond to Txlobo.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
IM4Travel,

You didn't qualify CO's "unlimited domestic upgrades" as being space available. It's hard for me to continue to believe that CO is a "generous" domestic program for elites, when as a platinum, I am at about 50% YTD on CO.

The best "benefit" of CO's domestic upgrade program is that your status can be used on NW, where the seats usually ARE available.

My home city, SFO, is admittedly one of the worst elite upgrade cities. But still...
Old Apr 28, 2002, 12:35 pm

Well..what can I tell you...I travel out of a hub (EWR) every week and I'm almost 100% on my upgrades...something like 22-24 'ish this year...and 11-12 on NW...NW is indeed a benefit but I would have to say that most Elites with significant travel(I don't mean 1-2 or 0-1) are batting better than 50%. Of course, I can't speak for everyone.

[This message has been edited by IM4Travel (edited 04-28-2002).]
Old Apr 28, 2002, 2:23 pm

IM4Travel: are you 90+% EUA'd at the 5-day window, or just travelling?

I am a CO Plat out of EWR and I'm about 55% via EUA, but about 95% flying. Quite simply, that 40% spread causes far too much anxiety with the dire consequences of being stuck in CO's coach product.

Compare that with my 91% EUA / 100% flying NW and 100% /100% on HP (Plat comp). Hell, I'm even 100% using upgrade certs on AS.

If the seats are sold and gone, then fine I accept that. But I have 3 un-upgraded segments this week on CO sitting at something like A8 F0 and A6 F0. Couple that with a dreadful upgrade "standby list" procedure for connecting flights and that's where I start to shift my biz to other carriers... like my pre-printed NW boarding passes for flights tomorrow... 1-Charlie to be exact
Old Apr 28, 2002, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Just for the record, my YTD travel on mainline CO routes is not insubstantial. Its substantial, and batting about 50% on platinum elite upgrades.

Perhaps IM4Travel you have a travel pattern which gives you a good elite result. Perhaps I fly heavily traveled business routes. In any event, there is myself and surely lots more with my type of travel pattern who are having a disappointingly hard time.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
I'm a gold with 89% upgrades in 2002.

------------------
daniel baker -- [email protected]
Reliable, fast, and unmoderated forums at ITYT.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Location: IAH-LAX -IAH Continental - Platinum EARNED(with calouses on my butt) Hilton Honors - Diamond
Trust or upgrades What's the topic here

------------------
"A Southwest line never gets longer, It only gets wider"

Let's keep MileTracker alive and well

http://www.moonlightlabs.com/support.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.