Hi all,

I have a trip in April CDG-SAN with the following choices (all in coach):

CO
CDG-IAH-SAN B777, B738
SAN-EWR-CDG B73G, B777

DL
CDG-CVG-SAN B777, B738
SAN-ATL-CDG B738, B777(AF)

Right now leaning towards CO due to cheaper price (USD 110 difference) and Flying Dutchman. Heard that CO coach seating can be tight. I am around 5'8" but suffered in BA's coach seats, but fared better on NW and KL. I haven't flown CO or DL mainline services before. The question is (directed mostly to people who have experienced coach in both CO and DL) is there enough difference in DL's comfort level such that one might consider choosing DL instead?

By the way, I also have the option of DL from via FRA CVG (since I am actually originating from GOT) and back via ATL AMS. Are the B763 and MD11 better on DL?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sincerely,
JetE
Old Feb 13, 2002, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Having flown both CO and DL coach a lot in the last two years, I'd lean toward CO. According to their websites, the seat pitch is the same, although I always seem to have less legroom on DL. I think it has to do with the design of the seats. I also prefer CO's domestic coach service, although I haven't flown either on a trans-Atlantic flight, so I can't compare them there.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
It is difficult to imagine worse coach seating than an international CO flight.

The CO 777 is the worst plane (in coach) I have ever flown. Heaven help you if you get the last row in the middle of the front coach section (29ish DEF).

The CO 767 has an extra inch of seat pitch plus the 2-3-2 seating, so it is tolerable.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL,SQ
ssullivan, schriste,

Thank you for your comments. It doesn't seem like DL is going to be much better (I've searched around the DL forum as well), so I'm sticking with CO for now. I've asked to be placed far away from the lavs so I suppose I should not end up in the hellish row 28. And I could pray hard that somehow they bring in a B767-400ER on that particular flight.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 11:03 am

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
JetE,

Why not fly AA and enjoy MRTC (More Room Throughout Coach)? You could fly to SAN via JFK, ORD, or DFW.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL,SQ
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAPlatinum:
JetE,

Why not fly AA and enjoy MRTC (More Room Throughout Coach)? You could fly to SAN via JFK, ORD, or DFW.
</font>
Unfortunately I wasn't given this choice by any of the travel agents I called up. Also, for some reason, they all warned that seats at this price level (approx. USD 700, I'm on a restricted budget) were in short supply, so I didn't have much choice to begin with. It was either CO or DL, otherwise SK/UA at USD 1200.

Old Feb 15, 2002, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I haven't flown CO international, but the one time that I was on DL metal (JFK-CDG on a 777) was my worst int'l flight ever! THe flight was full and I had NO legroom whatsoever in an aisle seat. I remember kicking a BE seat on my way out- its just sadistic to show a BE seat to someone who suffered 7 hours in coach on his way out.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
They both suck. Do you have any chance of getting an exit row seat on either carrier?
Old Feb 15, 2002, 6:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
Frankly, I don't think CO is that bad. At least all of their transatlantic planes (except for 757) have in seat video with a pretty good selection (plus I love the CO Dance channel on the audio).

Try to get a bulkhead or exit. On the 777, if it's not too full, you have a pretty decent chance of getting a seat next to you free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.