No pool !

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2002, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

No pool !

Takeoffs resume after security problem at Twin Cities airport

Statewire

Published Jan 5 2002
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Officials halted takeoffs at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport for 90 minutes Saturday evening after security agents had second thoughts about clearing a man carrying a collapsible pool cue in a case.

Security agents looked for the man but were unable to find him. After an hour and a half, officials decided the man was likely aboard a plane that had taken off before the halt was ordered, airport spokesman Patrick Hogan said.

" The problem was the pool cue case should not have been allowed through security, " Hogan said. " They wanted to err on the side of the caution."

About 30 flights were delayed by the halt, he said. Late afternoon and early evening period on Saturday is one of the slowest times of the week for the airport.

A manager for Globe Security, the contractor for security at the airport, declined comment.

Old Jan 7, 2002, 7:04 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
My God, what a bunch of dumb@$$es.

1)No one is going to take over or disable a plane with a pool cue. Not today. Not pre-9/11. Not even McGuyver.

2)These fools just cost all those flyers a lot of wasted time. I think their incompetence should translate into a fine paid directly, in cash to all affected by their stupid decisions.

3)"Smithers, fire that man!!!"

------------------
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." - Ben Franklin
Old Jan 7, 2002, 7:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">1)No one is going to take over or disable a plane with a pool cue. Not today. Not pre-9/11. Not even McGuyver.</font>
The security issue is what sort of weapons can be made to look like a pool cue. It's the same issue with umbrellas. We're not talking guns here, but hardened baton-like weapons, or even possibly hiding a knife-like weapon.

What bothers me about it is the confusion over the item. Somebody should have made the call quickly and if it needed to be checked, so be it.
Old Jan 7, 2002, 8:14 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by happymob:
[B] The security issue is what sort of weapons can be made to look like a pool cue. It's the same issue with umbrellas. We're not talking guns here, but hardened baton-like weapons, or even possibly hiding a knife-like weapon.

Let's think about this. How big is the cabin of an airplane?? Not very so if some crazy tries to take over a plane by wielding a weaponized umbrella or pool cue, he/she will face two problems. One, not being able to get enough force going to do any damage to anyone, or two they will not be able to control the passenger coming in from behind them.

Let's have the government and our good friends that don't speak any english (or know what a pool cue is for that matter) use a little common sense.
Old Jan 7, 2002, 8:24 am

I flew out of EWR just a few days after the airlines started flying again. The CO check-in stations all had a small poster listing all of the "illegal items." Pool cues were on there...

There were some other ones that were really funny like: ice skates, bullwhips, nail clippers, screwdrivers, ice picks, scissors. For some reason I found the bullwhip to be pretty funny...

Of course, like anything else in aviation security, I am sure that the "rules" were different in Terminal B than Terminal C.

Let's face it, until they stop carrying glass wine bottles, corkscrews, glass beer bottles in the cabin I will be confused as to why I cannot bring a "knife-less" leatherman type tool in my carry-on. I am sure that someone could fashion a rather effective weapon out of a wine bottle. Unfortunately I can't carry a bullwhip to defend myself
Old Jan 7, 2002, 8:44 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
hey mrs duxfan had her needle and thread taken away, so a pool cue is just excessive!

i mean, i could understand why the dangerous needle was taken away, but why the thread? i told her that she should've asked for the thread back....

------------------
I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the rights of the people by the gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.

James Madison, 4th US president (1751-1836)
Old Jan 7, 2002, 11:15 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duxfan:
i told her that she should've asked for the thread back....
</font>
And risk her strangling the flight crew and innocent passengers??? I don't trust Mrs. Duxfan farther than I can throw her. ;-)
Old Jan 7, 2002, 11:36 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
LOL

i think the cord on my power adapter for my notebook would be more dangerous than the thread... of course, a flying mrs duxfan could really be a problem....
Old Jan 7, 2002, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My camera tripod was considered a "bludgeoning object" so I was denied carrying that on.

At least I had time to make it back and check it before we had to leave...
Old Jan 7, 2002, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

cross pens & your palm stylus are next !!

------------------
www.tixx.com
The
original online ticket broker,concerts , sports , theater
Old Jan 7, 2002, 5:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
I had my cuticle cutters confiscated in SFO. Now I understand if someone was a marine or Navy SEAL (now those guys are the ones who can kill you with their bare hands) or something, someone could use that to cut a couple of "unsuspecting" people, but c'mon, if a person is on a plane with nothing more than a pair of cuticle cutters, to cause havoc, then they have a lot more problems then what is causing them to do this in the first place.

You know on the CO flight where my cuticle cutters were taken, (Security said it was a "weapon"; I almost laughed). I was sitting in a BF plane from SFO and my personal video screen was loose; it wouldn't stay put. So I took out my briefcase (which wasn't searched as thoroughly (my little wheelie suitcase was; where my toiletry kit was) and took out my handy mini phillips head screw driver to tighten the screws. Now, couldn't this be used as a "weapon". But it slipped past security cause it was rolling around loose in my briefcase.

It just goes to show you the ONLY reason they FOUND my cuticle cutters/"weapon" was because they looked in my toiletry kit, DUH! what's next Captain Obvious. Next time I will put it in my show shine kit, cause what kind of "weapon" would be in a shoe shine kit!

I feel that lack of common sense and everyone being risk averse of being politically incorrect causes a lot more headaches than necessary.

I think unless someone carried a bomb, gun or machete or worst case, straight razor are the only ones who might cause fear on plane; any other "weapon" would be a feeble attempt by any attacker. But I think what 9/11 taught passengers on airplanes is that if some lunatic decides to take over a plane; the passengers are going to rise up and fight at all cost cause what do they have to lose. Cause before if you kept your mouth shut and the hijackers had their demands met, you might get out alive, now after 9/11 everyone knows that they might fly the f'ing thing into a building, so I am dead anyway, so I might as well die trying to save other lives.

I think the people on the airplanes are the best security. Because if some lunactic or just drunk a-hole decides to cause trouble, myself and I am sure a dozens other people are going to restrain, at a minimum, or just beat the snot out of the guy. So confiscating my $10 cuticle cutter and frisking grandma is NOT going to save anyone. Short of a bomb going off on a plane, what is going to save people is that people on airplanes will not tolerate anymore attacks against them on a plane and they will rise up against the attackers. Yes they may die, but what 9/11 taught us is that they could prevent the deaths of others on the plane, in tall buildings or on the ground. "Richard Reid" is a perfect example of security thoroughly searching someone (they detained him a day for extensive questioining and background check) and allowing him to board anyway after he cleared. You know what stopped him; OTHER PASSENGERS who probably pre-9/11 would not have reacted as expeditiously. That what saved that AA flight, the passengers NOT security in CDG.

just my 2 cents...

- HobokenFlyer

[This message has been edited by HobokenFlyer (edited 01-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by HobokenFlyer (edited 01-07-2002).]
Old Jan 7, 2002, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

what are they doing with all the confiscated stuff at EWR ...Englishtown Flea Market???
table ..!!!...oh i got it ...FAA ON EBAY
Old Jan 7, 2002, 10:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tixx:
" The problem was the pool cue case should not have been allowed through security, " Hogan said. " They wanted to err on the side of the caution." </font>
When taken out of context this quote is pretty funny, he appears to say that the "case" was the problem, not the cue...
Old Jan 8, 2002, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Recently flew back from CDG just before Christmas and a 9 to 11 year old boy came walking down the aisle with a huge grin and what was I presumed a Harry Potter Magic Walking Stick. This thing looked very sturdy, was made out of wood and must have been 5 or 6 feet long. It looked pretty heavy on the top with some kind of ornament. The stick had a checked hand baggage tag on it and Grandma followed down the aisle.

I doubt if an adult would have been able to get it on. The boy behaved nicely, but you could see all heads turning as he made his way down the aisle.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 9:41 am

just checked in at EWR, the aforementioned "list" was displayed... there seemed to be some new entries... this is such a joke, what happened to common sense?

Cattle Prods (funny typo, listed as "Battle Prod"), Darts, Trade Tools, Meat Cleavers, Cricket Bats, Nunchucks, Kubatons, Ski Poles, Bow and Arrow, Machetes, Swords, Brass Knuckles, etc etc etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.