Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are my chances?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2001, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

What are my chances?

OK, I think I’ve read enough threads to know how automatic upgrades "should" work. I've got a little weekend getaway to Boston tomorrow that CO had for sale @ $95.00 including taxes last month. My question is if ITN shows 3 seats in F and I'm to assume that all elites have been "auto" upgraded since the 24-hour rule for Silvers has now passed. What are my chances of using a Prestige Pack upgrade 2 hours before flight time? Also since my flight originates in DFW and connects thru IAH I’m thinking I should be able to upgrade the IAH-BOS leg at DFW since my flight time plus layover is less than 2 hours. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 26, 2001, 5:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
They SHOULD process both upgrades at DFW. I'd put your chances of upgrading on the IAH-BOS segment at about 40% IF ITN shows three seats are remaining before you leave for the airport.

When I began flying Continental, there were no automated upgrades so I was always able to use my Prestige Pack certificates to upgrade (with the exception of one IAH-CLE segment). Also, the ticket agents processed both segment upgrades at time of check-in.
Old Jul 26, 2001, 6:34 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DallaStarwooDelta:
I’m thinking I should be able to upgrade the IAH-BOS leg at DFW since my flight time plus layover is less than 2 hours.</font>
I'm not sure if this is what you're refering to, but a connection on a domestic trip can be up to 4 hours... yes, you would only need one upgrade cert.

At DFW, the agents can tell you if they can upgrade you all the way to BOS, and I believe they would confirm you in FC on both segments.... but one risk is that people starting in Phoenix, San Francisco, etc. transfering to Boston will have checked in earlier than you, so by the time you get to DFW, the IAH-BOS flight may already be full in FC. When you see for sure, you can decide to use the upgrade cert (confirmed DFW-IAH, then standby list IAH-BOS) or just save it. Once you use it for DFW-IAH, it's gone whether you can get onto the full IAH-BOS or not.

I don't know when the certs expire, etc., but I wouldn't waste it on DFW-IAH alone... I would only use it if you can be confirmed in FC all the way to BOS.

TW1, good to see you. E-mail me about your trip home from SAN.

[This message has been edited by Viajero Joven (edited 07-26-2001).]
Old Jul 26, 2001, 9:56 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Viajero Joven:
Originally posted by DallaStarwooDelta:
I’m thinking I should be able to upgrade the IAH-BOS leg at DFW since my flight time plus layover is less than 2 hours.</font>
I'm not sure if this is what you're refering to, but a connection on a domestic trip can be up to 4 hours... yes, you would only need one upgrade cert.

[This message has been edited by Viajero Joven (edited 07-26-2001).]
Not true. Technically, you need 2 certificates. Since the Presitige pack ones are segment upgrades. Now many ticket counter agents will one collect one of them, but technically you need two.

As for your chances, much depends on the number of FC seats and the time of day. One many flights, FC passengers no-show or catch later or earlier flights, this frees up seats. I would get to the airport very early, and if it's a very early flight, find out when the ticket counter opens, by calling continental reservations and get there 15 mins before it opens to be first on line Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.