Wiki Posts
Search

CO gets China frequencies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
CO gets China frequencies

CO has recieved the rights to fly to China effective 25 March 2005. However, they have only recieved seven weekly frequencies, not the fourteen requested. The other seven requested are going to American Airlines.

Docket:
http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.c...docketid=19077
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
I personally think Continental would make better use of all 14 rather than American getting those 7, but hey my opinion's baised.

-Vincent
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:39 pm

Now the real question, "Where are they going to find the plane?" A 752 can't do EWR-PEK. I assume they'll pull a 777 off another route, but which?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:48 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
The original plans called for EWR-PVG this year and EWR-PEK in 2006.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcan
The original plans called for EWR-PVG this year and EWR-PEK in 2006.
CO requested (and received) authority to begin EWR-PEK in 2005. CO also requested, but did not receive, authority to fly EWR-PVG in 2006.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
CO requested (and received) authority to begin EWR-PEK in 2005. CO also requested, but did not receive, authority to fly EWR-PVG in 2006.
Though it should be noted CO can do whatever they want with the frequencies. They can operate four weekly EWR-PVG and three weekly EWR-PEK, or two weekly IAH-PEK and five weekly EWR-PEK, or even three weekly EWR-PEK and four weekly GUM-CAN. I'm not saying they are going to any of that (they won't, they are going to do seven weekly EWR-PEK), but US-China frequencies are entirely flexible between almost any point in the US and China. Through this award, they have the authority to fly seven weekly flights between any US city and any Chinese city, and, additionally, it can be via a third country.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:18 pm

Great News!

Here is the press release:

Continental Airlines Receives Tentative Approval to Operate Flights to China
NEW YORK, Feb 22, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) today announced that it has received tentative approval from the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) to initiate service to Beijing in the People's Republic of China from its hub at New York/Newark Liberty International Airport.

A date for the daily nonstop flight to Beijing will be announced once final approval is granted. Continental will be the only U.S. flag carrier linking the People's Republic of China with New York, one of the largest origin-and-destination points in the United States for China travel. The flight will be operated by a Boeing 777-200ER with 283-seats, 48 in BusinessFirst and 235 in coach.

"We commend the Department of Transportation for opening the door to new competition between the U.S. and China," said Larry Kellner, chairman and CEO of Continental Airlines. "Business travelers will appreciate how easy and convenient it is to use Continental to access Beijing's thriving network of high-tech industries and manufacturing plants."

Kellner thanked his coworkers, elected officials and thousands of concerned citizens and corporations for their support in securing service to Beijing. Nearly 13,000 Continental employees sent letters to the Department of Transportation, Congress and state and local officials urging approval.

In March 2001, Continental launched daily nonstop service from New York/Newark to Hong Kong.

The 13-hour flight (CO 89) will depart Liberty, subject to government approval, at noon, arriving in Beijing at 1:50 p.m. the next day. The return flight (CO 88) will leave the People's Republic of China at 3:50 p.m., arriving in the United States 13 hrs. 25 minutes later at 5:15 p.m.

With a population of 1.3 billion, the People's Republic of China is the largest country in the world.

Beijing is the nation's capital -- home to more than 12.5 million people. Although a largely industrial city comprised of textile mills, steel factories, and chemical and manufacturing plants, a significant portion of Beijing's economy revolves around the high-technology sector. As the country's economic and political center, Beijing is a crucial transportation hub for the rest of China.

Continental Airlines is the world's sixth-largest airline with more than 3,000 daily departures throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia. Continental serves 152 domestic and 122 international destinations -- more than any other airline in the world -- and nearly 400 additional points are served via SkyTeam alliance airlines. With 41,000 employees, the airline has hubs serving New York, Houston, Cleveland and Guam, and carries approximately 55 million passengers per year. In 2004, Continental earned awards and critical acclaim for both its operation and its corporate culture. FORTUNE ranks Continental as the top airline in its Most Admired Global Companies in 2004. The carrier won major awards at the 2004 OAG Airline of the Year Awards including "Airline of the Year," "Best Airline Based in North America" and "Best Executive/Business Class." For more company information, visit continental.com .

SOURCE Continental Airlines

Corporate Communications of Continental Airlines, +1-713-324-5080, or
[email protected]

http://www.prnewswire.com
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by brooklynflyer
Now the real question, "Where are they going to find the plane?" A 752 can't do EWR-PEK. I assume they'll pull a 777 off another route, but which?
I would imagine AMS or LGW.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
As they just put LGW up to 2x777 + 1x 752, it looks like they'll probably switch the 2nd 777 to a 767, my guess..

Also, of note, if you actually read the decision, its kinda interesting, there were a lot of amendments and briefs and rebuttals... BUT, it says CO has a 777 "readily available", whatever that means. maybe CO got some extra points by saying they'd exercise their last option on a 777..
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
As they just put LGW up to 2x777 + 1x 752, it looks like they'll probably switch the 2nd 777 to a 767, my guess..

Also, of note, if you actually read the decision, its kinda interesting, there were a lot of amendments and briefs and rebuttals... BUT, it says CO has a 777 "readily available", whatever that means. maybe CO got some extra points by saying they'd exercise their last option on a 777..
If you think about it, they do have one readily available even without exercising that infamous option. Granted, there will be a rolling downgrade throughout the system but it is very doable for such a lucrative route.

My question is whether this can be done with one 777 or will normal roation be able to provide the equipment.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:36 pm

Programs: Nada!
How does the FAA or whoever decide which airline gets the flights? What are the deciding criteria?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by MBM3
If you think about it, they do have one readily available even without exercising that infamous option. Granted, there will be a rolling downgrade throughout the system but it is very doable for such a lucrative route.

Can you elaborate further? I assume you are talking about the "reserve aircraft" that they keep on hand in case of emergiences such as the NRT - IAH engine problem a few months back. Or am I missing something?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by RoboBR
Can you elaborate further? I assume you are talking about the "reserve aircraft" that they keep on hand in case of emergiences such as the NRT - IAH engine problem a few months back. Or am I missing something?
Beyond the reserve they can downgrades another route, such as AMS or LGW since they have multiple flights per day, and use a 767 from someplace like ZRH, GVA, or DUB and use one of the many 752Ws (winglets) that will be coming online in 2005.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:42 pm

Oh yea. Forgot there were multiple 777 flights from EWR to LGW. So with that train of thought are there really 2 777's avalible? Couldn't they pull one of the 777 from IAH LGW as well? What is the range of the 764?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by sr_tipitinas
How does the FAA or whoever decide which airline gets the flights? What are the deciding criteria?
If you read the DOT announcement, it states the reasons. Interesting reading.

http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.c...docketid=19077

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.