Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody flying new EWR-HKG route?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2001, 7:17 pm

Vulcan, I am not sure whether the Starwood bonus is both ways. It states "to and within", not "from" Asia
Old Feb 14, 2001, 6:56 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Given that the wording is similar to the Hilton offer for Europe and South America, I assumed that it would be each way, like the Hilton offer. I guess we will have to wait and see until someone has it post. Like the other GGONE bonuses, it should be retroactive. My recent trip to HKG should qualify retroactively. I'll keep my eyes out to see how it posts when the bonus computer runs.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 4:41 pm

Just booked my flights on the CO website for 10/Mar from EWR to HKG, coming back on 25/Mar. It gave me a 5% online discount, so the total is $620.01. Yesterday it was still $650.01. Maybe it gets better by the day, who knows.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 8:21 pm

Going March 8
Return March 11
Business First via Upgrade with 50,000 Miles
First CO trip in at least 8 Years.
Old Feb 16, 2001, 7:24 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Going March 23
Return March 27
Business First via Upgrade with 50,000 Miles

1 night Sheraton
1 night Westin Macau
1 night Sheraton
Old Feb 16, 2001, 7:55 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Going March 14
Returning March 18 in B/F via 50,000 miles upgrade.
Staying 3 nites at the Hyatt Kowloon ($885HKD/nite +13% via Planetholiday.com)
MINIMUM expected miles:
16,306 Flight
20,385 Plat Elite bonus
8,153 E-Tkt bonus
4,000 Promo Bonus
12,000 GGONE SHMO

[This message has been edited by Vulcan (edited 02-16-2001).]
Old Feb 17, 2001, 9:35 am

www.asiatravel.com is a good source for hotels in Asia in the $50-$100 a night range. I've used them twice for Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore & Malaysia and they were all great deals.
Old Feb 17, 2001, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Is anybody braving...coach?

[This message has been edited by ClassicalGal (edited 02-17-2001).]
Old Feb 17, 2001, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
Originally posted by ClassicalGal:
Is anybody braving...coach?

[This message has been edited by ClassicalGal (edited 02-17-2001).]
Still fence-sitting. The "Z" bucket has zeroed out on all out-bound flights until March 29, so if I go it'll be in the cattle car. Don't look forward to 16 hrs. in a 31" pitch torture seat (I'm 6'1" and over 200 lbs.). Another negative is the fare is almost $1,000 from the west coast.

On the positive side, I'll get well over 100K miles, including the 3rd leg of GG ONE 123, plus over 21K status miles, I'll save the 50K miles that I would burn on BizFirst, and I'll be up to 5 continents visited. And, I like Chinese food!

I might wait to see if CO releases any more BizFirst upgrades, and if the price drops a bit.

------------------
http://www.denycontinentalthefreddie.com/
Old Feb 21, 2001, 6:49 am

I started a new thread in Community to organize all the HKG itineraries over the next couple of months.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum95/HTML/000944.html
Old Feb 23, 2001, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by SemiElite:
Still fence-sitting. The "Z" bucket has zeroed out on all out-bound flights until March 29, so if I go it'll be in the cattle car. Don't look forward to 16 hrs. in a 31" pitch torture seat (I'm 6'1" and over 200 lbs.). Another negative is the fare is almost $1,000 from the west coast.

On the positive side, I'll get well over 100K miles, including the 3rd leg of GG ONE 123, plus over 21K status miles, I'll save the 50K miles that I would burn on BizFirst, and I'll be up to 5 continents visited. And, I like Chinese food!

I might wait to see if CO releases any more BizFirst upgrades, and if the price drops a bit.

I was just wondering if Semi-Elite was still fence-sitting, as I am (and now with the new reduced-mileage option to ponder).

Old Feb 23, 2001, 6:12 pm

Originally posted by ClassicalGal:
I was just wondering if Semi-Elite was still fence-sitting, as I am (and now with the new reduced-mileage option to ponder).

Still fence-sitting, but leaning more toward going. But not interested in a reduced mileage award. Interested in getting miles, not burning them!

What has been tempting me are all the new mileage bonuses. At last count I could get 153 K for the trip, but that was before several new bonuses were posted here.

Right now I'm trying to schedule both the HKG flight and a AMS flight before the end of March. If I can get the HKG flight first (need it for 3rd leg of GG ONE promo), and I can get the HKG flight for under $1,000 and the AMS flight for under $500, then I'll do both.

If I can make this thing work, I just might beat out Vulcan and cigarman for March bonus mileage!

And for that kind of bonus mileage, it'll be worth flying in Economy. Come to think of it, we'll prolly have plenty of room to stretch out. From what I've seen and heard, BizFirst will be packed, but Economy will be near empty. In fact, I tend to suspect that's why CO is offering the reduced miles deal on a non-upgradeable Economy tix. Otherwise, they just might have to move some of the BizFirst pax to the rear of the plane to balance the load.

------------------
In Economy...no one can hear you scream!

[This message has been edited by SemiElite (edited 02-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SemiElite (edited 02-23-2001).]
Old Feb 23, 2001, 6:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
For what it's worth, here are some stats on the inaugural...

The flight loads is currently at

All 48 business first seats are sold
220 of the 235 economy seats are sold
there are 35 positive space non revs waiting for Business first
there are 34 space available non revs waiting for Business first
there are 38 positive space non revs waiting for economy tickets
there are 30 space available non revs waiting for economy

in other words.... its pretty full, the postive space passengers will bump
the full fares out of both business first and steerage...
Old Feb 23, 2001, 7:39 pm

Burkey,

If there are positive space passengers booked in first, just like the word POSITIVE implies, seats are already taken out of inventory. Thus they will BUMP no one.

Same goes for economy.
Old Feb 24, 2001, 5:58 pm

Burkey,

Those figures are for the inaugural flight! Inaugural flights always fill up fast...filled with company honchos, and there's always a certain number of people who just have to be on the "first" flight.

The cheapie tickets sold out on that one long ago. Yet, I had no problem last night getting a cheapie ticket on a later flight.

ClassicalGal,

Well, last night the allure of mega-miles got to be too much, and I fell off the fence!!! And I not only booked HKG (164,799 miles), but a trip to AMS (79,086 miles) 3 days after I get back.

Not sure yet whether I'll be in the front or the back yet, though! Although there aren't any BizFirst seats available at the moment, I'm on the waiting list, and the agent thought it "looked good." And my transcon flights are both 757's, BizFirst cofigured FC!

For now, I'm booked in Economy, but I might get a seat in the front...got my fingers crossed!

Anyway, here's my schedule:

Flight: from LOS ANGELES to NEWARK

Day and Date: Tue, 3/13/01
Flight: CO 144
Class: B
Depart: LOS ANGELES, 9:30PM
Arrive: NEWARK, 5:32AM
Equipment: 757-200
Meal: Snack
------------------------------------------------------------
Flight: from NEWARK to HONG KONG

Day and Date: Wed, 3/14/01
Flight: CO 99
Depart: NEWARK, 11:55AM
Arrive: HONG KONG, 4:50PM
Equipment: 777-200
Meal: Lunch
Flight: from HONG KONG to NEWARK

Day and Date: Sun, 3/18/01
Flight: CO 98
Depart: HONG KONG, 12:45PM
Arrive: NEWARK, 3:25PM
Equipment: 777-200
Meal: Lunch
Flight: from NEWARK to LOS ANGELES

Day and Date: Sun, 3/18/01
Flight: CO 133
Depart: NEWARK, 6:00PM
Arrive: LOS ANGELES, 9:15PM
Equipment: 757-200
Meal: Dinner

Tried to get an earlier flight, so I'd have a little more time to recover before my AMS flight. But the price on the earlier flights had already tripled since the promo tix requires a 14 day advance purchase. Anyway, I believe Vulcan and his daughter are going to be on this flight. Wonder if there'll be any other FT'ers with us. Join us, and we'll have a FT gathering at 35,000 ft.!

------------------
In Economy...no one can hear you scream!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.