Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iah-ams

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Iah-ams

What would you suggest is the best way to proceed from IAH to AMS? I have flown several times direct on the 767, but has anyone flown the IAH-EWR-AMS on the 777? What about the IAH-AMS 747 on KLM? I flew KLM last year from AMS-MUC and was amazed at how crappy that airline was, and wondered if that was equal to their transatlantic service? Thanks.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:02 am

IMHO, I would take the direct flight. Yes, the 777 has nicer BF seats but why add another couple hours to your trip.

I have taken KLM from AMS to MUC as well and thought they were pretty decent all things considered (beyond the joke of business class).

If you look at the NWA or KLM forums you will find decent reviews of KLM transatlantic service.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:34 am

Would you really want to make your trip 2 to 4 hours longer just to fly a 777 versus a 767??????
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Continental is about to add a second-daily EWR-AMS flight. For a few days the flights will operate with a 764 & 777 respsectively. Soon after, both flights will become a 767 (one -200 & -400).

So depending on when you're flying, you may not have the option of a 777 to Amsterdam anyway.

CO is also adding a second IAH-AMS flight, but that will also be a 767.

I'd take CO over KLM across the pond anyday. While CO inflight staff tend to be rude, KLM is much worse IMO. I never fly KL trans-atl anymore.

-RM
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'd take CO over KLM across the pond anyday. While CO inflight staff tend to be rude, KLM is much worse IMO. I never fly KL trans-atl anymore.

-RM
Don´t agree with the CO staff being rude, but fully concur with the rest of the above.

On a side note, #46 IAH-AMS is the last one to arrive, which is in my opinion better to avoid a jet-lag.

Last edited by sic incognito; Feb 3, 2005 at 11:58 am
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
I Flew KLM across the pond to TXL, KLM across the pond is totally decent... no PTVIFE tough and the 767 they use from EWR is old... I would have flown Continental with a AMS connection, but the fare was just too much of a difference (KLM 400, CO 950). AMS-TXL was another story... HORRIBLE. IntraEurope flights these days tend to be icky even from carriers with establish good reputations...

-Vincent
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:36 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
I've done all options and permutations quite a few times over the last 5 years: KL, co non-stop, co via EWR both J and Y, DL via ATL, even AF via CDG.

I've settled pretty much for the non-stop 46&47. 47 is the last flight in from europe and all the immigration queues are gone by then. KL is usually (one of) the first flight in, so that is a good option as well, although I find that the late arrival does help me get adjusted quicker jetlag wise. KL does leave too early (4PM) for me to be able to sleep on the way back, CO46 is much better for that.

In terms of service, it's a mixed bag. KL has free booze and the FA's tend to be younger, blonder and taller. They may not respond well to demands for service, but generally do responed well to a friendly flirt. CO has (much) better IFE in Y, although in J it's very comparable. The 747 flies faster than the 767, which is about 30-45 minutes less time spent in the air. That might be a good or a bad thing.

Overall, I'd say:

1) CO 46/47
2) KL 661/662
3) CO 50-70/71-?? via EWR
9) DL via ATL
999) AF via CDG
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I would say go with CO out of IAH to AMS nonstop. I've flown KLM to ams out of houston ...it is okay...the only reason I flew them was because it was 100% EQM on a very good fare. (I think it is still 100% EQM on all KLM ticketed/KLM metal flights) As someone else said, the IFE on KLM is bad. Everything else was 'okay'.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
Originally Posted by theblakefish
What would you suggest is the best way to proceed from IAH to AMS? I have flown several times direct on the 767, but has anyone flown the IAH-EWR-AMS on the 777? What about the IAH-AMS 747 on KLM? I flew KLM last year from AMS-MUC and was amazed at how crappy that airline was, and wondered if that was equal to their transatlantic service? Thanks.

I have been on both KLM and CO to AMS. If you are flying BF, then you want to fly CO. If you are flying coach, I find the seats on KLM 747 much more comfortable. The food is from CO's kitchens, and the low sodium meal is generally better than the run of the mill that is served. Drinks are free on the KLM flight, unlike CO. The drawback is no IFE, but if you plan on sleeping, take KLM.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by tw747
I have been on both KLM and CO to AMS. If you are flying BF, then you want to fly CO. If you are flying coach, I find the seats on KLM 747 much more comfortable. The food is from CO's kitchens, and the low sodium meal is generally better than the run of the mill that is served. Drinks are free on the KLM flight, unlike CO. The drawback is no IFE, but if you plan on sleeping, take KLM.
You mean that KLM doesn't have IFE? An airline that only has like 3 domestic destinations, and thus about 98% of their flights are international, does not have IFE. Especially on the 747-400. True?
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by theblakefish
You mean that KLM doesn't have IFE? An airline that only has like 3 domestic destinations, and thus about 98% of their flights are international, does not have IFE. Especially on the 747-400. True?
KLM is a little late in deploing PTV IFE. All KLM longhual flights have IFE on over head screen and etc, or even the classic main show projections in coach. WBC on KLM always has PTV, as well as all 777 flights (WBC and Coach) .

As KLM replaces thier fleet (or upgrades) they are adding PTV IFE. Since they plan on retiring such aircraft as the767-300 and MD11 the real cost benefit of installing IFE cant be realiezed. Infact the A330 replacements for the 767 will have PTV IFE for coach... and those are arrving soon....

-Vincent
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:16 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by tw747
I have been on both KLM and CO to AMS. If you are flying BF, then you want to fly CO. If you are flying coach, I find the seats on KLM 747 much more comfortable.
I, too, have done both and agree with the above: CO in J, KL in Y (not considering flight times, of course).
Old May 25, 2012, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by senatorgirth
I, too, have done both and agree with the above: CO in J, KL in Y (not considering flight times, of course).
I wonder if UA will consider ever increasing the capacity IAH-AMS in the future. I mean, there has been a plane on this route since the early 1960's (I think), and methinks that, if UA doesn't move away from the 767 on this route, than KL might move the 747-combi out and use a 744, or perhaps reinstate the MD-11 service that they had way back when...since the move to *A, I really miss connecting in AMS...
Old May 27, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
The KL 747 is an older aircraft but if you can get in the section of the front left of the aircraft opposite the galley, it doesn't feel like a winged bus.

If you're flying economy, that is.

Regardless of what class, my experience is FAs on KL will be more pleasant and professional than FAs on UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.