Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Amtrak and Continental to Form Marketing Relationship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2000, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

A very, very good source at Amtrak (a senior executive)has informed me that the coming weeks will see Continental Airlines and Amtrak form a "very large and extensive marketing relationship".

The relationship will supposedly consist of Amtrak joining the OnePass program; members can redeem, and more-importantly earn, miles on Amtrak trains (I'm not positive if this will include Amtrak Intercity, but will definitely include the Northeast Corridor service).

Amtrak hopes the loyal Continental flyers will use Amtrak in the Northeast as a loyal client base. This is in hopes of revitalizing the Northeast Corridor network. As you may know, Amtrak must become self-sufficient by 2003 (any lurking railfans may correct me on the years). The NEC is the most profitable part of the Amtrak network.

The move might also see codesharing of the CO code on Amtrak trains. Amtrak will offer Continental a discount on seats in the NEC so CO may reaccomodate customers during Northeast weather problems.

Amtrak was also in talks with US Airways, but apparently Amtrak is no longer working with US as they are already large in the NEC corridor and are "too busy dealing with United to deal with us".

You heard it here first folks!!

BizJet

PS: I'm almost positive I'll be bashed for this, saying its impossible and a total lie. I'm telling you this is exactly what I was told.

Old Jul 3, 2000, 2:36 am

Makes perfect sense to me and I've always wondered why they didn't do something sooner. The NEC is enourmous and a cursoury frequent customer program is long overdo.
Old Jul 3, 2000, 12:10 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
It's imposible! I't must be a lie! Can your friend get me an upgrade to a sleeper car?
Old Jul 3, 2000, 3:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
This would put CO in a good position to compete with the DL/US Shuttles.
Old Jul 6, 2000, 4:08 pm

Continental is already using Amtrak to accomodate customers when the delays at EWR get bad. When the monorail at EWR gets fixed and expanded, connections to Amtrak will be as easy as between terminals.
Old Jul 6, 2000, 8:13 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"...when the delays at EWR get bad..."

Okay, where does one exactly draw he line here regarding bad?
Old Jul 7, 2000, 11:10 am

"...When the monorail at EWR gets fixed and expanded, connections to Amtrak will be as easy as between terminals."

The expansion of the monorail will take you to a transfer point south of Newark Penn Station. You then will have to tranfer to a New Jersey Transit train for the short ride to Newark Penn Station to board an Amtrak train.

Not exactly as easy as changing terminals.
Old Jul 7, 2000, 11:37 am

"When the delays at EWR get bad"

... so the PAX's can get transferred to Amtrak to face delays that are even worse?!

I always said that if Amtrak were an airline, with their execrable on-time record, they'd already be out of business.

I can probably count, on one hand, the number of times they were on time NYP/BOS during a three-month period last winter during which that route was taken at the beginning and end of each week.

I'm not going to crank about 15-20 minute delays; they're a fact of life.

But I'm talking 1, 2, and even 4 hour delays. Consistent delays.

However, I suppose something is up, for the better, between Amtrak's recent customer satisfaction guarantee, and this rumoured alliance with CO.
Old Jul 7, 2000, 1:34 pm

I wonder how this would affect Midwest Express' relationship with Amtrak in the Millwaukee area. You can today redeem Midwest Express miles for Amtrak on certain routes.

Also, Amtrak competes against CO on it's NYC-BOS route. CO has shuttle-level service from EWR. When the weather is bad, the new bullet train will be faster than the flight.

------------------

He who dies with the most miles, is dead.
Old Jan 17, 2001, 5:47 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Anything new on this? News anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.