Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

One DL flight to keep it all in perspective...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold, *A Gold, SPG Gold, ex-CO Gold

Like many of you, I mostly fly domestically on CO and occasionally NW, so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to making comparisons between airlines and thus biased when it comes to setting expectations. This week I took my first DL flight in 10 years, and the entire time all I could think about was how much DL was getting it all wrong and it reminded me of why I've been so loyal to CO.

I flew into CVG on an DL express/Comair flight, and the terminal is a complete zoo. Unlike EWR, where your express jet pulls into the terminal and you're within walking distance to your connecting flight, in CVG you have to wait in line to get on a shuttle bus to take you to the other terminal, after which you have to get on a monorail to take you to the baggage claim terminal. The shuttle bus passes behind several DL aircraft, and I was surprised to see how dilapidated and filthy their jumbo jets were. There were several variants of the DL livery, so it wasn't difficult to distinguish the dinosaurs from the newer aircraft, and on many the paint was peeling and looked unkempt.

I didn't seem to mind that I didn't have priority baggage handling because I was on an express flight with <30 people, but the *average* wait for bags was 45 minutes. It took me 15 minutes just to get to the baggage claim, and I had to wait another 45 to get my bag. Unbelievable! And DL reps were conspicuously absent from the baggage claim area, unable to offer any explanation to the swelling crowds hovering over the carousel as to why no bags were coming. Priority baggage handling, by the way, is only offered on DL international flights over six hours--and only for platinum medallion members. I can understand limiting perks like SWU certs to platinums only, but priority baggage handling?!

Before heading off to the airport for the return flight, I wanted to check to make sure the flight was on schedule since the weather was bad. I tried calling the DL main phone number to use their automated flight status feature, but all I got was a busy signal. Called again, busy signal. After a few minutes I finally got through. At the airport, the waiting areas are crowded, chaotic, and filthy. And when it came time to board, as much as I laugh at the whole blue carpet gimmick, this is how they announced their boarding for the flight: "ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Delta flight XXXX, at this time we'd like to begin boarding all medallion members and passengers in zones 1 and 2." (translation: everyone) So much for "priority boarding"!

As someone who loves to complain and vent about CO, all it took was this DL experience to put things into perspective and make me realize that for all the good and the bad, CO really does keep its planes and terminals clean, goes out of its way to treat its elites very well, and has set up EWR to make connecting to other flights and navigating around the terminal easy and efficient.

For the first time in a long while, I called customer care to give them my praise. I prefaced my call with "don't worry, I'm not calling to complain, I'm calling because I have a compliment." You could hear her sigh with relief when I mentioned that.

Was my experience with DL anomalous?

Last edited by yalie25; Jan 6, 2005 at 7:49 pm Reason: wanted to mention their priority baggage handling policy, busy signals...
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by yalie25
Was my experience with DL anomalous?
You're not alone.
...that's part of why I left DL 4 years ago.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
That's a great post. If anything, CO's service seems to be getting better lately as well. That's why I don't mind paying a moderate premium to fly CO.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The amzing thing is, DL had the best service in the early 90's and CO was the worst. It's totally the opposite now. What a difference a good CEO can change.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold
Smile

DL use to be a well run airline - they started going down hill in the 90s with their various acquisitions.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

yes, but it's convenient to fly in/out of tweed...
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:06 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Things go in cycles. I remember in the late 1960's (days of the 707 and DC8) - CO was viewed as a premium carrier over UA - for in flight service. In those days, when fares were regulated (all equal - and only two categories F and Y) - in flight service was the discriminating factor.

Also, in the 1980's CO was the last of the carriers to give up on in flight - bar/lounges. The old CO DC10-10's to HNL had a mid cabin bar with unassigned lounge seats (between F and Coach). You could move from you coach seat to a lounge seat or sit at the bar on a bar stool and order a drink. No pressure to vacate except when flight was ready to land.

With the new A380's coming, I am hoping we will see some of these old amenities. Unfortunately, none of the US carriers have ordered any, and CO is Boeing exclusive airline - which is going the way of the 767 sized 7E7.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:19 am

Programs: CO Platinum, SPG Gold
Like you I recently (Monday) flew on Delta and was not happy. I believe this was my first time flying on Delta in at least 7 years. It was a 757 flight from Atlanta to Orlando. The plane was old as dirt. Flying on Continental I am not used to flying on old jets. The service was mediocre at best. I was in first class and the FA simply brought around a basket of peanuts and pretezels for everyone to dig out of. They never even said a word just threw it in your face and expected to you to make a 2 sec. decision. They did serve drinks and a stiff one at that. :-)

I didn't expect food on such a short flight but while the FAs were professional they weren't very friendly. They didn't even take my coat I had to stuff it in the overhead bin.

Yes, I agree one trip on Delta makes you appreciate Continental. For all its faults, CO is a superier airline to Delta and American in my opinion. I don't fly the other airlines so I can't comment on them (NWA, USAIR, etc..).
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by cova
CO is Boeing exclusive airline - which is going the way of the 767 sized 7E7.
Some of Boeing's concepts for the 7e7 show a few of these throw-back amenities.

...whether an airline like CO would implement them is a horse of a different color.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by izzik
yes, but it's convenient to fly in/out of tweed...
True...that's what I had in mind when I bought the ticket. But with all the hassle and waiting for my bags (I didn't mention in the post above that it took ~30 minutes to get my bags in New Haven, including the gate-checked carry-on, because they only have two (!) people to remove all the luggage and bring it to the baggage claim), it would have been worth my time (and sanity) to have just flown out of Hartford.

The outbound flight just set the tone of the whole Delta experience, so much so that I dreaded the return.

I guess I took for granted how well CO anticipates and ameliorates the things I loathed so much about my flights this week. Maybe I don't mind flying so much because CO has made things run so smoothly for me that I don't even notice the small stuff. It reminds me of my philosophy about visiting Amsterdam--the best trips are the ones you don't remember.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Prem. 1K & 1MM, DL Platinum, AA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold. United, Sky, Admirals Club
I have seen many filthy and unkept DL planes. Fortunately I havent been forced to fly them. Ive been told that the new MD-90 series interior is quite nice. Hopefully they will change their fleet, as part of revamping. If not, tough... As to CVG on Comair, be happy that you arrived with bags..LOL.

D-Dont
E-Ever
L-Leave
T-The
A-Airport

WASJETBOY
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

With all of the above comments, has DL considered that maybe it's not just the fares that are hurting business?

If it weren't for the fact that we can earn OnePass miles on DL, is there anything that would justify flying with them over Southworst or any other LCC? And it sounds as though their int'l product is nothing to write home about either...
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by yalie25
With all of the above comments, has DL considered that maybe it's not just the fares that are hurting business?

If it weren't for the fact that we can earn OnePass miles on DL, is there anything that would justify flying with them over Southworst or any other LCC? .
Exactamundo...

yep no difference at all.. The LCC may have newer planes as well. Downgrading your service as a legacy can only go so far. At some point you lose what differentiates you.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Derrico
Exactamundo...

yep no difference at all.. The LCC may have newer planes as well. Downgrading your service as a legacy can only go so far. At some point you lose what differentiates you.
I couldn't agree more. I took Delta on a cheap Z fare to the West Coast and was simply amazed at the crappy service and condition of their equipment. It was my first flight on DL and will hopefully be my last, regardless of cost.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:43 pm

I have enjoyed reading this post...not only because I am an employee of CAL but one who is genuinely interested in the differences amongst the airlines. I am often inclined to think that we are all the same but every now and again a pax will actually talk to me in the galley and mention why they prefer CAL. My travel on other carriers is limited. But often the agents of another airline will handle our flights at some outstations and as nice and cooperative as we(the FAs) try to be these other agents seem to be having such drama and difficulty. I wonder if the same is true when our agents havdle another airline? When non-reving on another carrier I do notice that often things do not seem to go as smoohtly, however I am often witness to times when things are not too smooth with us as well. But I can very confidently say that we are an on time airline...period...exceptions to every rule of course. Anyway, fun thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.