Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Booked over by a little bit"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by channa
Don't hold your breath for a bump. I've found CO to be very good at the yield management game.
Agreed, especially since my flight has quite a few open BF seats. I just would like to have a contingency in mind since my plans are a little flexible for a change.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by BumpMe!
I'm always very gracious about it (even when it doesn't work out).
...talkative and humorous to personable agents.
...cordial and brief with introverted or frustrated agents.

No matter who it is, I NEVER hound them, and I never make it seem like I'm owed something.
That hurts vastly more than it helps.
I agree 100%, which is why I questioned even volunteering to begin with. It makes sense that any Op-ups should be rewarded to the most loyal customers, but I would imagine GAs have quite a bit of flexibility to steer them away from blowhards with an entitlement mentality.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by channa
Don't hold your breath for a bump. I've found CO to be very good at the yield management game.
Yes they are very good at it! I have found the best way to get a bump is pretty unforeseen in advance. It's when 'something' happens (cancelled flight, delayed flight, etc) and a whole bunch of (several) people are rolled over at the last minute to your flight...and now all of a sudden it's overbooked! I have received more vouchers from this type of situation than from one where I anticipated and 'was ready' to volunteer.

I suspect...but of course am not sure... that they might do the op-upgrades on the LGW flights a little bit differently. (perhaps the departures from int destinations?) They are either done in advance in LGW or done in Houston the night before? I say this because a couple times in early 2004 I was op-uped at lgw at checkin and I was like one of the very first people to check in for the flight. I don't think that the gate agent did it there...she gave me the impression that it was 'already' done. Now of course this is all speculation.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Tod E Tosser
I agree 100%, which is why I questioned even volunteering to begin with. It makes sense that any Op-ups should be rewarded to the most loyal customers, but I would imagine GAs have quite a bit of flexibility to steer them away from blowhards with an entitlement mentality.
The blowhards make life sooo hard for the rest of us. I am tired of hearing them complain at checkin, PC or gate. I am certainly not all that happy about not getting EUAs or OpUps, but is it really going to do me any good to make the CO staff or my fellow travellers suffer? Heck no! I have always found that it pays to be polite and friendly - if it doesnt work then maybe the karma will rub off on future flights. Just as I expect to be treated professional I am sure each and every member of the CO staff expects the same.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by MBM3
I expect to be treated professional I am sure each and every member of the CO staff expects the same*.
*EWR agents excluded from this promotion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.