Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO gift certificates - 5% off

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
CO gift certificates - 5% off

Has anyone used the CO gift certificates? They're now offering 5% off. Is there any downside to using these for a trip to be taken in ~2 weeks?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Has anyone used the CO gift certificates? They're now offering 5% off. Is there any downside to using these for a trip to be taken in ~2 weeks?
They've been 5% off for at least a month now. I've bought two of them, received the confirmation code within 5 minutes, then immediately used it to purchase a ticket for myself. No problems or downside that I can imagine.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:28 pm

Do you get the Chase MC Double Miles on the flights, though? That might be one downside.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wck4
Do you get the Chase MC Double Miles on the flights, though? That might be one downside.
B-I-N-G-O. i registered for the double Chase bonus. i recently purchased some tickets and was considering buying the gift certificate (GC) and then immediately buying the tickets. but, how would you get double miles for the flight if you pay with a GC? my guess is that you wouldn't.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
I figured I'd use this 5% off along with my last 10% "fall is in the air" goodies to lower my $296 EWR-SFO airfare back closer to what it was a few months ago.

For those of you who have used these, can I use one certificate for multiple tickets and pay for any remainder with a credit card? I'd guess so...
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:36 pm
Suspended

hey, what if one were to apply a $100 gift certificate to a ticket and pay the balance with a Chase Mastercard on CO.O.L? i think that would work, no?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:51 pm
Suspended

does anyone have the link to buy the GC? thx.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
does anyone have the link to buy the GC? thx.
It's very visible on the Continental.com home page, or you can use this link:

http://www.continental.com/programs/gift/prghome.asp
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:26 pm

Programs: US Gold, *A Gold, SPG Gold, ex-CO Gold
B-I-N-G-O. i registered for the double Chase bonus. i recently purchased some tickets and was considering buying the gift certificate (GC) and then immediately buying the tickets. but, how would you get double miles for the flight if you pay with a GC? my guess is that you wouldn't.
I think there's a way you can get around it. Let's say you want to buy a ticket that costs $105. You can apply a $100 gift certificate and then pay the $5 difference with your Chase card. That way you're still technically buying the ticket with your credit card even though you're paying for most of it with the GC.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yalie25
I think there's a way you can get around it. Let's say you want to buy a ticket that costs $105. You can apply a $100 gift certificate and then pay the $5 difference with your Chase card. That way you're still technically buying the ticket with your credit card even though you're paying for most of it with the GC.
yeah, that's what i thought (above). thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:18 am

Programs: US Gold, *A Gold, SPG Gold, ex-CO Gold
yeah, that's what i thought (above). thanks.
my bad...i didn't even realize you wrote the same thing a few posts up.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:16 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold, HH Silver
Thanks!

Again, you guys rock! I used this in combo w/ the Hertz discount to save about $31.50 on a fare (the $20 reduction from Hertz also resulted in a reduction in the tax basis of the airline ticket).
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This afternoon I bought a $500 GC to purchase two tickets that cost a total of about $535. The first ticket was completely paid for with the GC and the second required me to add payment with a credit card. Thanks to the brilliant programmers in Houston I also now have money left on the GC. That's right -- I have a GC left over worth $0.09

Hey -- at least I saved $25!
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Hertz?

Originally Posted by micksgirl
Again, you guys rock! I used this in combo w/ the Hertz discount to save about $31.50 on a fare (the $20 reduction from Hertz also resulted in a reduction in the tax basis of the airline ticket).
How does one get the "Hertz discount"?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've been trying for the last hour to get both the Fall is in the Air, and the Gift Cert to work. I went through the whole thing and it was working fine. Bought a cert for the exact amount.

Then, I just keep getting either of 3 messages. Credit card won't process, technical difficulties, or something else. A couple of times, one other screen (finalize purchase), starts to pop up, but then disappears before fully loading.

I've tried a couple of different credit cards, but no such luck. The price also jumped about $30 in the middle too. Ah, fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.