Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

5:30am Flight on Xmas, is this the earliest flight EVER?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler

I am flying LGA-IAH tomorrow at 5:30am. I have never heard of a flight leaving that early, this is a first for me. Not to mention, its oversold and considered an International flight because we are continuing onto Ixtapa, Mexico. So, we are supposed to be there at 3:30am. LGA opens at 3:30am! This should be interesting to say the least. I am planning on getting to the airport at 4, I hope I will be OK.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:41 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
I have a 5:40 out of LGA to Houston, connecting on to SJO on the 12th so your not alone, hey at least I could get award availability a little more then 2 weeks out.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Well lots of redeyes leave at 12:xx a.m., or 1:xx a.m., so you could consider that really late or really early depending on how you look at it.

I once took at KLM flight BCN-AMS that left at 3:50 a.m. It was definitely an odd time, since it was too short and late to be considered a redeye, and too early for most people.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 9:08 pm

I routinely take 5:30-6am flights out of either BWI or PHL. I've also found that there are times when the airports empty and I get through security and others when it seems like everybody's getting to the airport at the same time. I believe it has something to do with the amount of leisure travelers, who tend to get airports earlier, so they may be arriving for a 7-7:30am flight at the same time I getting there for my 6am. Good luck.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
There are 5 a.m. flights leaving HNL...

aloha
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
A lot of eastbound and southbound flights leave west coast cities between 500am and 600am. Come by SEA sometime at 400am; it's hopping like it's noon.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Doesn't Copa have some odd-hour connections in PTY? While there are fewer flights scheduled to depart between 1am to 5am, there definitely are some. Check out the JetBlue schedule between JFK and the Dominican Republic for some prime examples.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I am flying LGA-IAH tomorrow at 5:30am. I have never heard of a flight leaving that early, this is a first for me. Not to mention, its oversold and considered an International flight because we are continuing onto Ixtapa, Mexico. So, we are supposed to be there at 3:30am. LGA opens at 3:30am! This should be interesting to say the least. I am planning on getting to the airport at 4, I hope I will be OK.
I take this flight weekly. Most annoying thing about this is the PC does not open until 5:15am and no elite security line! It is a pretty easy flight for upgrades however, 738 (usually) with 5 rows in first.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:26 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by RoboBR
I take this flight weekly. Most annoying thing about this is the PC does not open until 5:15am and no elite security line! It is a pretty easy flight for upgrades however, 738 (usually) with 5 rows in first.
On what routes does CO fly the new version of the 738 (F rows of FC & Mid-Cabin lav)? I've seen it on EWR - PDX; EWR - SEA and I think a few routes to Central America.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 3:39 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Doesn't Copa have some odd-hour connections in PTY? While there are fewer flights scheduled to depart between 1am to 5am, there definitely are some. Check out the JetBlue schedule between JFK and the Dominican Republic for some prime examples.
I just took Copa's 5 a.m. JFK-PTY (connecting to EZE) on the 24th. It was brutal. Had to leave my apartment at 2:30 am, so I didn't bother going to sleep. Terminal 4 was bustling at 3 a.m. (then again, it was the 24th), though every store was closed.

Will be posting a trip report when I get back to NYC....flying Copa has been a very interesting experience.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 4:18 pm
In Memoriam

Korean Air flight from Chicago to Incheon leaves at 00:30
Old Dec 25, 2004, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
EVA Air and China Airlines have SEA-TPE flights leaving SEA between 300a and 400a. CX has a YVR-HKG flight leaving at about 230a I believe.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:11 am

Most European carriers departing from TLV have 5:30AM departures. This is the time the airport opens. All wish they could depart 30-45 minutes earlier as there are some very tight connections in their hubs to the rest of the world.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Check out NZ's operations in and out of PPT.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Check out pretty much any schedule from Dubai, all of India, or east Africa... nothing like a flight at 02:45 .

As it happens though, there are a number of flights that leave DFW at 5:30am on DL, AA, and FL. And my favorite is the America West "red-eye" (more like bleary-eye) that gets at 3:23 am!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.