Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any difference in customs at Guam?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:50 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Ha ! You got me on that one. Kwaj is the only place you do not have to get off the plane because no one is allowed to get off the plane unless you are working at Kwaj, or going to a small island next to Kwaj.

Kwaj is an island leased by the USA from the Marshall Islands and has a military installation on it.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KathyMoore
Are passengers REQUIRED to bring their U.S. passports
on the [ ] flights between HNL and GUM? Do they have to go through immigration control at either HNL or GUM?
On the non-stops, a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate will also suffice, though CBP will encourage you to get a passport next time. I have never taken the Island-Hopper.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:40 am
KathyMoore

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
On the non-stops, a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate will also suffice, though CBP will encourage you to get a passport next time. I have never taken the Island-Hopper.
This is what I found on the airline's website regarding
travel document requirement for Guam:

HNL => GUM

If arriving directly from U.S. Mainland, Alaska, Hawaii,
Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Isl.:
no entry documents required due to no immigration control.

------------------

GUM => HNL

If coming directly from Guam or Virgin Isl: pre-inspection by
the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will have taken place
prior to embarkation, when passengers are required to provide
proof of their legal right to enter U.S.A.

Last edited by KathyMoore; Dec 29, 2004 at 6:45 am

Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by KosraeTV
Hi KathyMoore,

Continental Micronesia operates the flight you are talking about, it's called the island hopper. It's a killer flight made worse now due to FAA regulations that require half the plane to get off at each stop with all luggage. They pick sides, say seats ABC, or DEF, and if you are in those seats you have to get your bags and get off. The other side that is allowed to stay on the plane has to get their carry on and put it in their lap, then switch sides while they inspect the aircraft. FSM is currently trying to work with them to change this rule but as of right now it is out of their hands.
Why has the FAA started with this strange rule?!? I visited Micronesia a lot in 2003 and 2004 (but I've never been to Chuuk or the Marshalls), and I don't recall ever having been asked to get off the plane. Did they just start recently?

As an aside, I have to say that I was quite impressed with the reef in KSA and with the wonderful preservation works the islanders did with the buoys. We stayed at the Kosrae Village and thought that their diving operation was excellent and very professional (especially after visiting PNI and noticing how careless dive guides can be with the reef there).
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:59 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by honu
Why has the FAA started with this strange rule?!?
During the past two years they have changed rules and played with different scenerio's more then any other place in the world. I do not recall the exact date they started to make half the plane get off but it was in 2004. Honestly, it seems each time I get on a plane there is something new out here and the island hopper is the only way I can get out of here and I have my first flight in 2005 in a week from now. As each island you are allowed to get off the plane, then re-board the agencies are afraid something could be brought on. The plane is searched one side at a time, then the people move over the other side and they search that side. So 1/2 the people get off so the checkers and check half the plane at one time.

The local government is trying to work with the agencies in changing this as it is extremely disruptive. Luckily most the folks out here are easy going willing to get off and let an elderly or parents with kids stay on etc... But honestly, we're the islands, security is sometimes a piece of rope not even a fence. So I can understand the FAA and Homeland wanting stricter rules over here.

Thanks for the comments on KSA, I know Katrina and Bruce very well over at the Village. We'd welcome you all over anytime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.