Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Politically Incorrect: The "fat" pax policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Politically Incorrect: The "fat" pax policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:54 am

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
Actually, Ted has Economy+ seats, so if the pax had an alleged knee problem, there is a bit more room in E+.

Also, with the shift to thermal paper BPs at some locations, the gold / blue BP status indicator is no longer valid.

I'm a COS and I sympathize with many of the folks here. I'm never going to shrink from 6'4", so please keep your seat back off my knees, but I'm working on the other dimensions. I always sit in a window seat, except on RJs. I don't get up. I keep the armrest down when someone is next to me. I don't need an extender (except on RJs -- those are clearly 4-6 inches shorter than mainline). I will wait for the next flight rather than sit in a middle seat.

I also have one carry-on, which I generally put under the seat in front of me. Don't get me started on that gripe!

But can I raise another issue? The basic cabin dimensions have been unchanged since the 1950's design of the B-707. And as has been noted, people are getting bigger, not only in waistline, but also taller (as I well know from banging my head on 757 video monitors). So it seems to me that over 40-45 years of "growth", we're still sitting in seats that were dimensioned for people of "average" size in, say, 1955. Economically, I suppose that is fine for the airlines, but leads us to some of the issues expressed in this thread.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
The poster likely knew that the fattie
Did a heavy person kill your dog as a child? BTW if you used that term in front of some people, some people might not just sit around and take it. Of course in person, you would sit quietly quivering not saying a thing. Ah the joys of anonymity on the internet. Any 13 year old can be as insulting as his sad neglected pimply self can stand. Did your mom abuse you? No friends?

Last edited by Derrico; Nov 21, 2004 at 11:45 am
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:41 am

Programs: CO Plat, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by p1cunnin
But can I raise another issue? The basic cabin dimensions have been unchanged since the 1950's design of the B-707. And as has been noted, people are getting bigger, not only in waistline, but also taller (as I well know from banging my head on 757 video monitors). So it seems to me that over 40-45 years of "growth", we're still sitting in seats that were dimensioned for people of "average" size in, say, 1955. Economically, I suppose that is fine for the airlines, but leads us to some of the issues expressed in this thread.
I've never thought of this issue, but it actually has some merit.

Compare NYC's modern MTA trains (4,5,6,L) to their older trains (N,R,A,C,E)

The older ones have seats that could only comfortably fit a fairly skinny person. Look at average modern vs older american buildings, wider stairs, wider doorways, taller ceilings.

Why is it that the airline industry has made no improvements whatsoever when most other industries have, and no one has complained about it?

I'm 6'1" and well built, My shoulders are wide enough that the seat width is uncomfortable for me in coach, but bearable. The pitch at 31", however is almost unbearable. There is no reason why someone of my body type shouldn't be properly accomidated, I'm not super-tall, I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm not super-fat.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by p1cunnin
Actually, Ted has Economy+ seats, so if the pax had an alleged knee problem, there is a bit more room in E+.

Also, with the shift to thermal paper BPs at some locations, the gold / blue BP status indicator is no longer valid.

I'm a COS and I sympathize with many of the folks here. I'm never going to shrink from 6'4", so please keep your seat back off my knees, but I'm working on the other dimensions. I always sit in a window seat, except on RJs. I don't get up. I keep the armrest down when someone is next to me. I don't need an extender (except on RJs -- those are clearly 4-6 inches shorter than mainline). I will wait for the next flight rather than sit in a middle seat.

I also have one carry-on, which I generally put under the seat in front of me. Don't get me started on that gripe!

My complaint was not with him being a "fattie" - it was putting someone with a "knee problem" in an Emergency Exit row. Thought frankly I think both issues should be reasons for not being allowed to sit in an exit row.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 5:17 pm

Ok so since this thread is just really gone down hill and is no longer constructive and have basically turned into a cat fight. I'm going to close it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.