Wiki Posts
Search

Checking if relatives made flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2004, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Location: CLE, UA MM, UA Premier Plat, Bonvoy Titanium UA Club
Checking if relatives made flight

I called CO this afternoon to find out if relatives had checked-in on a flight. I was told that information could not be disclosed. I explained to the CO Rep - I made the reservation - spent 50K in miles; know the confirmation number, etc, etc, etc.

Is that true these days? The airlines aren't allowed to give you a "yes" or "no" answer if somebody made the flight or not????
Old Aug 4, 2004, 2:47 pm

As far as I know they would never tell you. Unless you were a parent checking on a UM or something of that nature.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
No

Originally Posted by traveltoomuch
I called CO this afternoon to find out if relatives had checked-in on a flight. I was told that information could not be disclosed. I explained to the CO Rep - I made the reservation - spent 50K in miles; know the confirmation number, etc, etc, etc.

Is that true these days? The airlines aren't allowed to give you a "yes" or "no" answer if somebody made the flight or not????
Airlines may not disclose whether or not a passenger is on a flight regardless of who paid for the flight or made the reservation. The only acception is for unaccompanied minors.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:30 pm

Not always true. AA told us just yesterday of some people who were late to arrive and confirmed their flight was cancelled and they had been rebooked on a later flight. ( we knew the flight was canceled from the web)
Old Aug 4, 2004, 6:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Well, that just means that someone was willing to bend the rules.

Don't these people have cell phones to call from once they are on the plane ?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
Well, that just means that someone was willing to bend the rules.

Don't these people have cell phones to call from once they are on the plane ?
We were in a remote location and cel service was limited and there was no direct line into where we were staying so communication was difficult. We of course tried calling them but they were inflight.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:33 pm

Before I had a international cell phone, my mom called CO a few times to see if I'd made it onto a flight home- armed with my FF#, reservation number, everything, and they wouldn't tell her if I was on a flight, only if the plane took off or was delayed. I tried going into the website & listing her as my emergency contact (it's some choice under saved preferences), but still no go.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I meant like.. they get on the plane and call you.. and leave a msg or something.

Originally Posted by otralot
We were in a remote location and cel service was limited and there was no direct line into where we were staying so communication was difficult. We of course tried calling them but they were inflight.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by otralot
Not always true. AA told us just yesterday of some people who were late to arrive and confirmed their flight was cancelled and they had been rebooked on a later flight. ( we knew the flight was canceled from the web)
I've found this is one of the few circumstances where you may be able to get someone to bend the rules for you. But in this day and age of cellphones, there really isn't much of an excuse.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:56 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
This is pre 9-11

The one and only time I relied on a co-worker to share a ride to the airport she showed up late, we missed the flight ..... blah, blah, long story short, her sister waited at the airport at BWI, and of course they would neither confirm or deny the PAX was on the plane.

For me it was a lesson learned. The other one was to leave luggage at home, because if I only had a carryon, we could have taken an earlier connecting flight, but alas, MY bags would not.

EmaiKid
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:17 pm

If you fly DL and keep a SkyMiles number in your PNR, that's an easy way to check.

When MissBumpMe! and I used to fly DL, we'd log into the other's account to see if activity had posted. If it posted, she was on her way. If not, she probably got bumped... again!

It's too bad CO's OnePass system isn't as instant as the DL system.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 1:31 pm

Not New

I can vouch for this not being a new thing. Way back in 1987, I remember having to drive out to Kennedy to pick up a friend arriving from Italy. Original flight was cancelled and all I could do was assume she was on the next one. Asked airline if she was on it, no dice.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 2:48 pm

For Nothwest, if you know the reservation number, you can check the reservation on line. If you are late and get rebooked, it will be refected there immediately. I guess you can do in the same way as CO, but not tried before. But if you just not showed up, maybe your reservation will be stay the same.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 7:24 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
One time my wife missed her Delta flight in ATL, and the people at the ticket counter in GSP (where I was to meet her) gave me this information. It probably helps that I was at the airport in person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.