Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Food.....ugh

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2004, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by R&R
When I see the Split Pea soup, I wonder how many gallons is served in a day on all the flights?
First time, it was rather good, like a year or so ago.
Now, .......pass on it.

How about some of that Italian Wedding soup with the 'little balls' in it?

i actually like the italian wedding soup. what balls are you talking about? the pasta balls or the mystery meat balls?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:35 pm

Bizarre Condiments!

I was thinking about posting about the deterioration in food quality and someone beat me to it! On the IAH-LGA flight last night, this had to be the grossest meal ever. I don't usually complain about airline food but this had to be the oddest and most poorly thought out combination. There was a sandwich, touted as "Philly cheese steak", actually not all that bad. Bag of small carrots, bag of Fritos (I don't like these either) and for dessert, an Atkins Endulge bar, mint wafer, UGH, along with a blister pack of Listerine! How disgusting is that? I put the listerine and atkins bar back on the FA's tray and asked if it had been time to clean out the cupboards, what was up with this meal. How strange to be given listerine as a condiment! She explained that airline customers are captive audiences that product companies like to try out their new offerings on. At least that explained it.

Last edited by CozumelJen; Jun 7, 2004 at 12:37 pm
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Worst meal of all time: LOT short haul

Back in 1995, I flew from Katowice to Frankfurt in C with LOT.

They served this grey sausage-like thing... and I mean it was an ashen grey.

It sat on the plate, untouched. Fortunately, it was a short haul... but I kept thinking that it was some old meat left over from the Soviet era.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by CozumelJen
I was thinking about posting about the deterioration in food quality and someone beat me to it! On the IAH-LGA flight last night, this had to be the grossest meal ever. I don't usually complain about airline food but this had to be the oddest and most poorly thought out combination. There was a sandwich, touted as "Philly cheese steak", actually not all that bad. Bag of small carrots, bag of Fritos (I don't like these either) and for dessert, an Atkins Endulge bar, mint wafer, UGH, along with a blister pack of Listerine! How disgusting is that? I put the listerine and atkins bar back on the FA's tray and asked if it had been time to clean out the cupboards, what was up with this meal. How strange to be given listerine as a condiment! She explained that airline customers are captive audiences that product companies like to try out their new offerings on. At least that explained it.
very strange indeed. perhaps it was clean up day industry wide. this from the AA forum (sorry, dont know how to move thread link).....

Today, I was on a flight from ORF (Norfolk) to DFW, departed at noon. F-class.

We had a very strange lunch -- even the flight attendant said she had never seen anything like it.

Dried fruit (apples, apricots), almonds (loads of them), and grapes, all on a single plate. Bag of blue corn chips. A mini-tub of marinara sauce -- I thought this was for the corn chips, but the FA came around with focaccia bread (the same kind they've always served), and she said the marinara was for that. Pepperidge farm cookies (not Milanos -- the giant round chocolate chip cookies). And some cheese (bon bels) and crackers (pre-packaged).

Has anyone else experienced this???
Old Jun 7, 2004, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dlen111
Dried fruit (apples, apricots), almonds (loads of them), and grapes, all on a single plate. Bag of blue corn chips. A mini-tub of marinara sauce -- I thought this was for the corn chips, but the FA came around with focaccia bread (the same kind they've always served), and she said the marinara was for that. Pepperidge farm cookies (not Milanos -- the giant round chocolate chip cookies). And some cheese (bon bels) and crackers (pre-packaged).
That sounds a LOT better than CO's meatloaf sandwich!
Old Jun 7, 2004, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
That sounds a LOT better than CO's meatloaf sandwich!
ive never had CO's meatloaf sandwhich. i like homemade ones though. i would imagine CO is no good at making meatloaf.

was that in coach or FC?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 9:09 pm

Programs: CO Silver
For the record, I haven't seen soup on a dinner flight in over a year. I only see it at lunch. The dinner flights I've been on have a nice salad (though I wish they'd offer a choice of dressing - I hate creamy dressings), a pasta/rice dish, or a hot sandwich, followed by dessert. Not bad, but last month out of IAH they had ranch dressing, pasta with alfredo sauce, or turkey pastrami with cheese sandwich. Hello? What about us lactose intolerant folks? After the first week I grabbed Pappasitos on the way to the plane. Haven't taken a dinner flight yet in June so I don't know what the dinner-of-the-month is out of IAH.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:51 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Talking Italian Wedding Soup meatballs!

I get a kick out of those little meatballs, and a chuckle from the name of the soup.
Is there any significance to the name and the liittle meatballs?

I know, that it would never be called, Polish Wedding Soup!

Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dlen111
ive never had CO's meatloaf sandwhich. i like homemade ones though. i would imagine CO is no good at making meatloaf.

was that in coach or FC?
It was in Y. It's a mass-produced sandwich in a cellophane wrapper. It is TRULY gross.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
It was in Y. It's a mass-produced sandwich in a cellophane wrapper. It is TRULY gross.
I don't mind it.

I generally get my upgrades, but the "lunch tray" with the meatloaf sandwich is fine for a few hours in coach.

xyzzy, don't know why you were comparing it to AA's FC service - in case you weren't aware, CO does not serve the meatloaf sandwich in first.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by R&R
I get a kick out of those little meatballs, and a chuckle from the name of the soup.
Is there any significance to the name and the liittle meatballs?

I know, that it would never be called, Polish Wedding Soup!

Italian wedding soup is a traditional Italian recipe. It's not just some Continental creation. I've seen it on the menu in several Italian restaurants and you can buy it at the grocery store from Campbell's.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 3:45 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Red face Yummy!

I know, that it is not a Continental Original Signature Recipe from their stable of International Chefs.
The first time I ever tasted it was at a Buffet and it was so good, I could have made the meal with it alone.

But who has time to make all those LITTLE meatballs?

Old Jun 9, 2004, 4:50 pm

Does CO use FEBO?
Old Jun 9, 2004, 5:12 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by dspringer28
Does CO use FEBO?
My experience has always been FEFO, except on int'l flights in BF when they tend to skip around and take orders as people board.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:48 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's been awhile since I've flown CO, but I remember liking the meatloaf sandwich!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.