Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anti-Semitic slur by Flight Attendant

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:38 pm

[QUOTE=AVIZ;18115272]The FA (not the one who made the comment), flipped out because he was helping me out, insisting that this was her job /QUOTE]

With due respect, AVIZ, your interpretation of the whole situation, not least the inability to let it go says more about you than the flight attendants. I mean, CO attendants helping with storing luggage in overhead bins, insisting "it's their job"??!! I am certain UA FAs are rolling with laughter by reading this. Additionally, I do not think "slur" is appropriate word for the "anti-semitic" comment the flight attendant made. She made an inappropriate comment. Maybe she would not have made it had she known it would have offended somebody. Slur is not a right word to describe this situation. But you thread title is certainly eye-catching.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by aviz
thinking about pursuing some other avenues as well, not because i want to see this woman get hurt
bingo, we have a winner!!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by AVIZ
We land in Las Vegas, deplane and head out to the car rental, when I notice I forgot a small item on board. All passengers had deplaned, so it was me, some ground staff, FA's and a pilot still gathering their belongings. As I'm walking down the jetway, I very clearly hear one of the FA's say to her colleagues "I hate Jewish people.. There I said it". Now the thing is, her back was to the plane (she was standing next to that door with the luggage chute), so she never saw me. I can't remember ever feeling so appalled. AVIZ
Like you said you were never meant to hear that. Had you not come back this would not be an issue. Have you never talked about someone or said something about someone you thought was in private? If not then you are a great person.

Where I live and work, almost everyone talks about everyone and it has been like this since junior high. Age doesn’t matter either. I hear all sorts of stuff from people all the way to my grand parent’s age. There is racism, elitism, classism, you name it; it goes on. It’s a fact of life. In my office we have Crack Wh**e Kelly, Hamburlger, and Chester the Molester. This is what just about everyone calls these select people. We don’t even use their real names anymore. Of course we are not going to call them that to their face, but it’s used everywhere even emails.

I can't remember ever feeling so appalled. AVIZ
I’m sorry but really? I don’t know what kind of work you do, but I’m in commercial real estate and have been called every name under the sun and then some. I’m a really nice person but if you’re an a** to me I treat you like you act.

I don’t have time to let people rent space in my head. I found to most effective way to deal with people like the one you encountered is to belittle them and move on.

I refuse to argue with anyone, my time is too valuable.

Unfortunately I deal with irrational, irate, and ignorant people more than I like too. We have lots of zoning and other meetings where I can’t escape the public and these people want to talk to me after the meetings.

I have had some really nasty people that rant, rave, and throw a fit a hissy fit. I don’t get mad or argue or anything. For example, I look at them smile and say I’m still going to tear your apartment building down, you best better start looking for a new place to live. Have a nice day. And I walk off.

If they are being especially long winded, I cut them off and say are you done yet, because I have an important meeting to go to and walk off.

I don’t care what people think of me…if the hate me or so on. That’s their problem, not mine. Life is too short to waste anytime on people like the one you encountered. They aren’t going to change.

She didn’t call you this to your face or ever meant for you to hear this. If she did then yeah I would tell United, (actually I wouldn’t I put her in her place) but something that I was never meant to hear I wouldn’t waste a second on it.

Last edited by CO777DAL; Mar 2, 2012 at 2:13 am
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by thebigfish
This needs to be reported. Just wrong on so many levels.

This woman is in a position where she interacts with the public. Her employer needs to know about this. How do we know she hasn't been reported before?

Being Jewish, I take this type of behavior in stride. But I never let it go by unchallenged. She's a racist bigot and she's entitled to her opinion - and she's also entitled to the consequences of being bigoted.

TBF
^^^ This.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
In my office we have Crack Wh**e Kelly, Hamburlger, and Chester the Molester. This is what just about everyone calls these select people. We don’t even use their real names anymore. Of course we are not going to call them that to their face, but it’s used everywhere even emails.
You better hope that your HR department continues to get a larger than normal Ambien dose, because if they ever wake up and realize such terms are being used not only verbally but on company email, they're going to flip out.

Whether the comment was meant to be overheard or not is irrelevant. When you're on company property, wearing a company uniform, you behave with professionalism toward the customer.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:52 am

I want this fellow human being of mine to recognize that just as her people went through the worst violation of their basic rights , mine did too, and neither of us want to hear/read/see any resemblance of those trsgic periods.
If the goal was to enlighten them, the chance was already lost when it was not brought to the person's attention when the infraction occurred. United was emailed, they will send an update next week. It's time to move on.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Those who speak of enlightenment, changing people's minds etc. are unrealistic if well intentioned. The real point of bringing this to the airline's attention is to insure that everyone remembers that SIX MILLION of us were murdered during WWII and that it must NEVER happen again. Those who forget are doomed to repeat. Any and all slurs such as this must be taken seriously and reported.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:47 am

Just in case the statement enlightenment was for my usage of enlighten. I used the word enlighten and not enlightenment for a reason. You can enlighten someone, but you cannot force enlightenment.

The OP had a chance to enlighten the offender, but did not.
The OP reported the statement to United.
United stated they would respond back next week.
I am missing what more the OP can/wants to do?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:27 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
In my office we have Crack Wh**e Kelly, Hamburlger, and Chester the Molester.
OT, but do you work at Vivid Entertainment?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:29 am

CO777DAL

Finally someone who talks sense.

Get over it. Man up.

Every sentence can be offensive to someone out there. Everything you say could end up offending someone.

She voiced her opinion in private ( or what she thought was in private ).

She did not come up to you to tell you I hate you cos you are a Jew. She did not decide not to not serve you / Ignore you on the flight. If she did then you have a reason to complain.

Conjecture, but I'm guessing that the UA employee agreement has an inclusiveness statement disallowing discrimination on gender, race, religion, orientation, etc... so, yes.
Now let us assume that there is such an agreement. Surely it cannot apply to your private conversations.

Would it be therefore be acceptable for all personal to be be bugged and have all your conversation monitored in the event that you broke a company employment agreement?

So if she had said--out loud, in her workplace, in uniform, in front of customers--"I hate black people," this would have been completely acceptable to you, just as you seem to be completely comfortable with this particular flight attendant publicly expressing a hatred of Jews? If so, then you either have a very warped sense of the principles of free speech in the workplace, or you've never worked in a professional, customer service-oriented environment before. If I were to say "I hate _______ people" as an aside to a colleague while walking out of a meeting with a client of the race/religion in question, I would be unemployed within 24 hours.
If you had said in her workplace in front of customers in uniform " I hate Jews" that would be unacceptable as she is speaking on behalf of the company.

Now that is not what she had done. She spoke in private after all the passengers has left, the OP had left and would not have been there if he had not forgotten some small item.

I find it that amusing that one of the few countries where free speech is a right that you would want to it to not exist or to have it limited to things that do not cause offence. That is a slippery slope.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:30 am

Making a mountain out of a mole hill!!!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by TomA
My ex- did the same thing in German once. I've never seen two people turn more pale. They were literally speechless.
Hopefully addressing them by name
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Fishing for $$ or some UA?CO freebee

Last edited by chasbondy; Mar 2, 2012 at 9:40 am
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by dcmike
You better hope that your HR department continues to get a larger than normal Ambien dose, because if they ever wake up and realize such terms are being used not only verbally but on company email, they're going to flip out.

Whether the comment was meant to be overheard or not is irrelevant. When you're on company property, wearing a company uniform, you behave with professionalism toward the customer.
Yep... massive lawsuit just waiting in the wings. This should be reported as a potential liability on their annual report...
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:36 am

But the customer should not have been there he should have been gone like the rest of the passengers.

By that argument one should not say anything at any time even as what you say may offend someone.

If the OP just want miles ask for it. Or cash ask for it otherwise man up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.