Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Segment of Award flight cancelled- norm or error?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Hello!
I have a situation I can't figure out ...
Thanks to FT information and advice I booked my first ever award tkt with CO for June
JFK-IST-VIE-MOW. LED-HAM-CDG//CDG-IST-JFK
Mix of TK/LH/OS in I
Then came the changes..TK completely eliminated flight IST-VIE I was taking and moved me to the next flight, which arrived after my next segment flight departure. I called, got rerouted through MUC, but would have to leave IST at 6:30 am..couple weeks later, this Monday, direct fly become available IST-MOW, I called ,asked agent to replace IST-MUC-MOW with IST-MOW, done, no problem..I made a huge mistake not checking confirmation email, was running out..when I looked ar it at night I almost had a heart attack: JFK-IST was gone, My first segment now was IST-MOW, then IST-MUC, Then MUC-MOW, all same morning on same tkt..no more TK availability..needles to say I hadn't slept well..CO agent next morning managed to have LH release JFK-MUC-IST And fixed the rest, but she told me TURKISH AIR Cancelled JFK-IST segment
And it happened coincidentally same day another CO agent was handling my tkt adjustment..
I find it hard to believe and tend to think previous CO agent messed up my tkt., but I worry now- can anybody offer advise, please?
I really wanted to fly TK nonstop JFK-IST, and if another tkt shows up should I take it? Or I will have risk again that TK can cancel any part of my tkt..
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It may have not been the previous CO agent, but it most certainly was CO.

CO has had interconnection issues with partners for years. I don't know what it is, but tales of segments dropping seem to happen with CO awards more frequently than with other carriers. I had it happen to me once on a high-profile F segment (LX ZRH-JFK).

As for CO blaming TK, I think that may be cultural -- CO doesn't like to admit fault.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you..
I wonder if change of a segment had triggered this mess?
Would I add risk of something like this happening if I try to do another change back to my original JFK-IST TK flight should it become available in the future?
Or should I just sit tight and don't ask for more trouble by adjusting tkt...
Is there any pattern in your opinion ?
Thank you for the answer, somehow it made me feel better knowing that most likely it wasn't just partner airline randomly canceling flight, even though it doesn't make any difference in outcome ..go figure...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by kar69
Thank you..
I wonder if change of a segment had triggered this mess?
Would I add risk of something like this happening if I try to do another change back to my original JFK-IST TK flight should it become available in the future?
Or should I just sit tight and don't ask for more trouble by adjusting tkt...
Is there any pattern in your opinion ?
Thank you for the answer, somehow it made me feel better knowing that most likely it wasn't just partner airline randomly canceling flight, even though it doesn't make any difference in outcome ..go figure...

I think it's just something wonky in CO's systems.

In my case, I got the usual CO response of LX cancelled it. However when I called LX, their supervisor reviewed the history and proved that CO cancelled it. Since no CO person cancelled it, it's clear it was one of CO's many systems issues. The LX supv. and CO supv. discussed together before getting CO to admit it was their mistake.

While I'm sure that there's always a chance something gets messed up when a record is touched, I wouldn't let that get in your way of doing what you want. It is a somewhat infrequent occurrence, and CO needs to figure this stuff out. Just be mindful that it could happen, so check the space on all sides regularly when dealing with a CO ticket on partners.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Another award flight cancelled...

I have a somewhat similar issue that I figured I would lump into this thread and see if I can get some advice. We are flying on a CO business award to NCL (on LH) and I just found out today that our flight home on March 31st was cancelled so they automatically moved us to the previous day which would normally be fine but we're there for such a short time (visiting friends) that we really didn't want to leave a day early and the way the connections worked, it forces us to overnight in DUS at our own expense of course. The LH website shows all DUS-NCL flights on March 31st are no longer operating for some reason (one day out of the entire month...weird). I'm inclined to avoid the hassle over the phone and just leave early but my wife thinks we need to push CO to get us on another airline or possibly compensate us for the hotel in DUS (yeah, right)...the other odd thing is that, according to kayak.com, there are no tickets (paid tickets) available out of NCL on March 31st on ANY Star Alliance carrier although it appears British Airways is still operating so I doubt it's a runway construction project issue...any advice would be appreciated...thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.