Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Playing the odds

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Playing the odds

Traveling from EWR to SFO in a few months to celebrate w/ the wife, and would like to surprise her by bumping us up to the front cabin. I'm trying to figure out my odds of doing so via a couple different options (yes, I know if I REALLY wanted it, I could just buy - but I'm cheap!)

A few key points:
  • We're flying out on the last flight Wednesday night and returning on the early afternoon flight on Sunday.
  • Equipment is a 738 w/ 16 seats up front in both directions. I know it's 3 months out, but the Wednesday flight looks to be empty up front right now (seat map view - admittedly not perfect), and the Sunday flight has 10/16 seats open (seat map view again)
  • I'm Prem. Platinum, she has no status, and I have 2 RPUs.

What % chance of success would you give to each of the following scenarios?
  • I get a CPU, she comes up as my companion
  • I get a CPU, use a RPU for her
  • I use a RPU for both of us

Any other scenarios I should be thinking about?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Upgrading with miles?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Option 1 has very little chance. Option 2 is what I would do to save one upgrade. But I would apply it only after the 3 or 5 day mark has passed. This way you can see if cpu would have taken care of you.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Option 1 has very little chance. Option 2 is what I would do to save one upgrade. But I would apply it only after the 3 or 5 day mark has passed. This way you can see if cpu would have taken care of you.
That's pretty much what I was thinking as well - not that I have anything else planned for that 2nd RPU right now, but I'd really rather not have to use them both up.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I would actually apply them both now. You can always pull them closer to flight and take changes with CPU. I don't think you'll get a companion upgrade on that route. If it were me, I would apply both to my wife's reservation and then take my chances with CPU. I fly all the time up front, she doesn't.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Take PS from JFK, best option of them all!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Take PS from JFK, best option of them all!
Not if you're aiming for two free upgrades.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Not if you're aiming for two free upgrades.
I agree, but nobody here thinks the OP will get that on EWR-SFO.

I do like the idea of using the CR-1s on the p.s. flight - much better use
of it versus upgrading to F on EWR-SFO.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA MM; SPG Gold; Avis PC. Fmr UA GS 2011-2013
I faced a similar challenge last year (I was 1K, wife had no status) SFO-MIA. I decided to upgrade with miles as I didn't want to take the chance of not getting it. (took a chance on UDU on the return flight from MCO and got it but would have been OK w/E+.) I have a similar trip coming up in a few months and will likely use miles again. I realize I may be "throwing them away" (especially as a GS now) but peace of mind beats all.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by aacharya
I agree, but nobody here thinks the OP will get that on EWR-SFO.

I do like the idea of using the CR-1s on the p.s. flight - much better use
of it versus upgrading to F on EWR-SFO.
Absolutely;
If this is a special trip and you really want to surprise your wife, go with PS SFO-JFK-SFO and apply your regional upgrade. You have a good chance at upgrading on Wed and Sunday and it is business class which trumps CO domestic F anytime (even transcon CO F)
If you sit in the back it is all E+ (not as nice as the reclining exit row on CO)
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by keisari
it is business class which trumps CO domestic F anytime (even transcon CO F)
I wouldn't go that far, but YMMV.

If you sit in the back it is all E+ (not as nice as the reclining exit row on CO)
Which is an advantage for flying CO. If your upgrades don't clear the worst you'll be is a reclining exit row (assuming they're still available).

One big consideration is do you want wifi or DTV? If you go PS you'll definitely have wifi, if you pick CO you'll most likely have DTV (on a 738/9) or a very good AVOD selection on the 752.

There are two CO 752s (which will have E+ and possibly flat beds) which operate EWR-SFO on a random Wed in March and 2 on SFO-EWR for a random Sun (though one is operated by UA).
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the recos!

RE ps - I had thought about that, but she'll be working in NJ on Wednesday, and so a JFK departure was basically out. Thought about it for the return as well, but the return times (4pm and redeye) were less than ideal on a school night.

We're sitting in the 2nd (reclining) exit row in both directions right now, so that's a pretty solid fall back.

Not crazy about using miles to upgrade as my/our stash has gotten pretty low after a few big redemptions (recent and to be made prior to our trip to SFO).

Sounds like the option that best balances %chance of success w/ my admitted cheapness is to wait to see if I clear at 72 hours, and if I do, try to use a RPU for her.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good options.

Make sure you have aisle/window seats, in case neither of you clear**. And assign your wife the "better" seat in case you get upgraded, and she doesn't, as you'll be giving her your upgrade and sitting in her seat.

**Less likely for someone to sit in the middle of you versus to the right or left.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I think it is easier to upgrade a PS flight to Business than a CO SFO-EWR flight using regional upgrade voucher.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I think it is easier to upgrade a PS flight to Business than a CO SFO-EWR flight using regional upgrade voucher.
Any day and Sunday

And I don't think it's too difficult to make the claim that PS C trumps CO (non-752) domestic F Every. Single. Time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.