Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

$300 to upgrade to BusinessFirst IAH-HNL. worth the $$?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$300 to upgrade to BusinessFirst IAH-HNL. worth the $$?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: * A
I would def. pay the $300 to upgrade IAH-HNL flight unless I had different ways of upgrading w/o cash. 300 is still a great price for the upgrade.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
I concur with most of the people in the thread. It's a good price for the upgrade. The service is light, compared with a real BF flight, but worth $300.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:23 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation Not Yes, But...

HELL YES!!! Take the deal & run dude (-:
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
I imagine your ticket to India cost a little more than $300. It's all relative.
It was free and the taxes were well under $300.
The hotels, on the other hand...

But "it's all relative" was exactly my point. For a poor child in India, spending $300 on this upgrade would be foolish. For Bill Gates it's barely pocket change. How are we supposed to know where between these two extremes the OP lies? Maybe OP could provide us with his tax returns and bank/brokerage statements and then we can make an educated guess about how much $300 is worth to him.

FWIW, I hate these types of threads.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Does your fare bucket change with rev-up? Basically I'm wondering if you get the bonus EQM's then that go with Z?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by ijgordon
$300 would feed a lot of children in India (where I am right now). Just sayin'.
First world problems.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It was free and the taxes were well under $300.
The hotels, on the other hand...

But "it's all relative" was exactly my point. For a poor child in India, spending $300 on this upgrade would be foolish. For Bill Gates it's barely pocket change. How are we supposed to know where between these two extremes the OP lies? Maybe OP could provide us with his tax returns and bank/brokerage statements and then we can make an educated guess about how much $300 is worth to him.

FWIW, I hate these types of threads.
+1...
In my case, I would say spending $300 for the upgrade would be a complete waste of $300 on a number of levels. Obviously the exact opposite is true for many others who would take the deal without a thought, while still others could go either way. Does that help? Not that I can see.
Basically these types of threads asking a question like "is such-and-such worth it?" in this miles/travel world is sort of like asking "will I like my new car to be blue or red?" How the heck would we know? I can tell you I would prefer blue but not sure how that helps anyone else. Aside from the obvious cases of not getting any real value out of your $/points/miles...etc., this is all a matter of personal opinion/preference.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:55 pm

$300 for IAH-HNL is a maybe, but $300 for the overnight HNL-IAH, if offered, would be a done-deal! I always sleep just fine in PMCO's much maligned (at least in myriad of recent 'which is best to Hawaii' threads) old cradle style seat. Not to say I wouldn't opt for a new flat-bed configured craft if it was offered, but given the current alternatives, the old-style seat is fine.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
I would take that offer without hesitation.

$300 for a 4000 mile flight? A no brainer for me (with respect to all the previous "value is relative blah blah blah" )
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, UA Credit Card Elite
Originally Posted by wfdude
I was checking in for my flight and was offered the $300 upgrade on IAH-HNL on 764 with 35 / 200 seating. I've not flown CO much, but I've been trying to research flyertalk and the rest of the web about the service and experience in BusinessFirst on this flight and what little info I get is mixed.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
I was offered the same deal last week too. Probably the same flight as yours given you posted just prior to thursday's flight. However, whenever I tried buying it it wouldn't process the transaction, even at an airport kiosk. I figured it was a glitch in their system that was offering the upgrade that cheaply since usually the copay alone on that route is more than that, and there were already about 6 or 7 people on the waitlist. I took some screenshots so that I could send them in to the web help desk. Were you successful in buying up?

Also as far as service goes it is far from bad, but to me it feels like a cross between domestic first and international business first.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I'd definitely go for it. Even with the old style BF seats, I think it's worth it.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US - Gold Preferred, leisuring and MRing for status :-)
I took the upgrade, both ways!

Hi everyone. I truly appreciate the discussion to which you have each contributed. I can see how some may think this type of thread may be annoying, but in actuality it allowed me to get an real view of what other people think. More of an unvarnished view, without bias toward my personal financial situation or travel background.

$300 is a lot for me. I'm not a high-income, heavy-traveling person. I don't do business travel. But after reading this thread and whatever else I could find about this particular flight, I bought the upgrade for me and my boyfriend, and I was not disappointed. I don't have any comparison to what the international business class is like or the lie-flat seats -- this is the best I've ever had. I got a steal on the tickets and combined the good airfare with two $150 vouchers, so paying for $300 upgrades each way actually brought the cost of the flight back to what normal economy would go for.

I had a great trip and I'm so glad that I got to sit up front in comfort and eat good food, and sleep well. I work for a non-profit serving people in poverty, so I understand what $300 could do for one person or even 100 people, but I also recognize that "treating" myself to trips and items such as this upgrade is what helps me keep going in a high-stress, often demoralizing job.

So, thanks again for the advice!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US - Gold Preferred, leisuring and MRing for status :-)
Originally Posted by skushi
I was offered the same deal last week too. Probably the same flight as yours given you posted just prior to thursday's flight. However, whenever I tried buying it it wouldn't process the transaction, even at an airport kiosk. I figured it was a glitch in their system that was offering the upgrade that cheaply since usually the copay alone on that route is more than that, and there were already about 6 or 7 people on the waitlist. I took some screenshots so that I could send them in to the web help desk. Were you successful in buying up?
I was on a morning flight from IAH, arriving in HNL at 2:10ish pm. Who knows what the reason could be that your kiosk didn't allow you to complete the purchase. The previous night when I checked in and saw the offer, I figured I'd have to act quick or else the seats would go. So I only had the benefit of about 6 replies to this thread. I wonder if someone else had completed purchase of the last seat while your transaction was in process?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:01 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Hi everyone. I truly appreciate the discussion to which you have each contributed. I can see how some may think this type of thread may be annoying, but in actuality it allowed me to get an real view of what other people think. More of an unvarnished view, without bias toward my personal financial situation or travel background.

$300 is a lot for me. I'm not a high-income, heavy-traveling person. I don't do business travel. But after reading this thread and whatever else I could find about this particular flight, I bought the upgrade for me and my boyfriend, and I was not disappointed. I don't have any comparison to what the international business class is like or the lie-flat seats -- this is the best I've ever had. I got a steal on the tickets and combined the good airfare with two $150 vouchers, so paying for $300 upgrades each way actually brought the cost of the flight back to what normal economy would go for.

I had a great trip and I'm so glad that I got to sit up front in comfort and eat good food, and sleep well. I work for a non-profit serving people in poverty, so I understand what $300 could do for one person or even 100 people, but I also recognize that "treating" myself to trips and items such as this upgrade is what helps me keep going in a high-stress, often demoralizing job.

So, thanks again for the advice!
Thanks for the update. And thanks for writing about your life situation.
I agree that a little treat here and there goes a long way. especially when work is very stressful.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, UA Credit Card Elite
I was on a morning flight from IAH, arriving in HNL at 2:10ish pm. Who knows what the reason could be that your kiosk didn't allow you to complete the purchase. The previous night when I checked in and saw the offer, I figured I'd have to act quick or else the seats would go. So I only had the benefit of about 6 replies to this thread. I wonder if someone else had completed purchase of the last seat while your transaction was in process?
Definitely a possibility that others were jumping at the fare at the same time. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in the Islands and that you were able to enjoy the flight in BF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.