Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is the OPSC so ineffective?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Why is the OPSC so ineffective?

Just spent a half hour on hold trying to get 2 SWUs returned to my account from an itin where they didn't clear - they couldn't figure out how to do it, advised me to call back tomorrow.

I've had major issues getting *A flights credited to my OP account (as many others have noted), along with CS issues never addressed, or basically blown off.

There's no true "elite desk" there capable of handling more robust issues.

This is all quite the rude awakening compared to MP, where the agents are empowered, seem to be your advocate, and can make things happen quickly.

I'm honestly curious as to why the OPSC falls so short - and I don't think I'm the only one saying this, if the feedback I've seen elsewhere over the past year is any indication. The gap between OPSC and MP is so huge, I'm wondering how they will bridge it going forward.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I wonder if it's the same issue as the GA's -- lousy systems and tools.

I recall back when CO introduced 50% EQM, the OPSC had no business process for handling EQM misposts (e.g., booked online, entitled to 100% EQM, but only 50% posted, fix the EQM). In typical CO style, they assumed everything would work flawlessly, and there would be no exception cases.

So once they rolled this out and realized that stuff doesn't work perfectly, they were actually keeping an Excel file for some like six (6) months until the programmers were able to get them the screens they needed to be able to manipulate EQM postings from their terminals.

SWUs are relatively new to CO (they didn't have them until they began partnering with UA), so it's possible that they don't have the refund process down or refined to the point where it's solid.

CO has done a lot of growing up over the past few years. Let's just hope their weak systems combined with tendency to be overconfident don't turn things into too much of a cluster that legacy UA customers who are accustomed to more refined business process or more responsive customer service get turned off of their new airline.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: United Gold
Wow I'm glad I'm coming to the merged company from the Continental side, at least I'm used to it
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Wow I'm glad I'm coming to the merged company from the Continental side, at least I'm used to it
Good point, although it's really a borderline case of Stockholm Syndrome...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:10 pm

I do hope for all of us that the combined service center takes the best of both worlds, with agents empowered to implement changes that are logical and make good business sense.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I do as well - I just don't understand why it is the way it is, and was curious if it's always been this...challenged, or if it used to be better and got worse over time. To me, that's one of the major differences personnel-wise...YMMV interaction-wise with pilots, GAs, FAs, etc - some good, some bad on both. But institutionally, the two CS centers are just so different.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:20 pm

Yeah, IMHO there have been a broad opinion that the CO agents see everything in black and white while UA agents see everything in certificates, but in my personal opinion is that I have had both great AND craptastic agents on both carriers. I believe the cream will rise to the top in the combined organization but there will be a ramp up period as things shake out.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I do as well - I just don't understand why it is the way it is, and was curious if it's always been this...challenged, or if it used to be better and got worse over time. To me, that's one of the major differences personnel-wise...YMMV interaction-wise with pilots, GAs, FAs, etc - some good, some bad on both. But institutionally, the two CS centers are just so different.

Remember also the competitive nature of some of UA's hubs vs. the lesser competition in IAH and to some extent EWR, CO's legacy hubs.

CO had a bit more liberty to disappoint customers (who else are you going to fly?) because they were less of a flight risk, so they did not have to have procedures that were terribly customer friendly.

I think our biggest risk now as consumers is that the sheer size of the combined UA combined with the cavalier attitude we sometimes see from legacy CO might make the new company more cavalier. While I, too, hope we get the best of both worlds (e.g., CO's domestic agents only policy + UA's more responsive customer service), I fear that we may not, at least not initially.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

An example of my original situation that I just worked on a bit more - I had a Jan '12 SWU returned due to a failed UG clearance, want to use that instead of an already-cleared Feb '12 RU on an existing itin. R4 on the flight, same booking code available, so should be a snap - I've done this before on UA, and it's taken less than <5 min. I'm now past the 40 minute mark trying to work with the Elite Desk & OPSC on the issue, still not totally resolved...have done the switch, but the RU is still only scheduled to be deposited, versus being automatic.

I really, really hope they implement the feature of UA.com where you can see all UG instruments Deposited, Reserved, and Redeemed - helps you keep track quite nicely. From talking to a few OPSC agents, they just don't seem to have a lot of visibility into when the expiry dates are, what has been used, etc.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just spent a half hour on hold trying to get 2 SWUs returned to my account from an itin where they didn't clear - they couldn't figure out how to do it, advised me to call back tomorrow.

I've had major issues getting *A flights credited to my OP account (as many others have noted), along with CS issues never addressed, or basically blown off.

There's no true "elite desk" there capable of handling more robust issues.

This is all quite the rude awakening compared to MP, where the agents are empowered, seem to be your advocate, and can make things happen quickly.

I'm honestly curious as to why the OPSC falls so short - and I don't think I'm the only one saying this, if the feedback I've seen elsewhere over the past year is any indication. The gap between OPSC and MP is so huge, I'm wondering how they will bridge it going forward.
I'm not sure what 1K line you are calling, but the one I call usually gets me agents who just don't care to do anything.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjque
I'm not sure what 1K line you are calling, but the one I call usually gets me agents who just don't care to do anything.
I find that surprising, and from what I've seen others post on here, I'd think your POV is in the minority. I think 1K agents are amazing...Plat ones are fine, but I've seen a noticeable difference.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I find that surprising, and from what I've seen others post on here, I'd think your POV is in the minority. I think 1K agents are amazing...Plat ones are fine, but I've seen a noticeable difference.
+1

I've had 1K agents go the extra mile for me in various instances of irrops or issues with ticketing/web support/IM, etc.. I did have a nice CO agent last night, but that's been the first one like that in quite some time. Seems like we are bothering the agents at CO when we ask them a question..
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
All I can say is I'm unhappy to agree completely with the OP. The OPSC has been less than helpful with these issues, and they seem to take a long time if they do resolve a problem.

The problem in itself is that we even HAVE to call to get the SWU's/RPUs redeposited.

It's hit or miss also when it comes to asking for UA RPU/SWU to be applid to CO metal. I did this the other day (after a 30 minute wait with 2 agents)--with one just blurting out "Oh you can do that online since your accounts are linked" (wrong)--and the other saying "I don't think we can do that."

With issues like that I just ask to be transferred to integration. Of course, I wasn't transferred to integration, just another OPSC agent -- but he was able to assist with the application of the upgrade. I had to literally guide him through the process, and I said if he called United that they could take care of it. Whatever, Continental. Get with the program.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not my POV, it's my experience, and perhaps it is in the minority. Some of the 1K agents are OK, others are terrible, and sometimes I get India or Manila. It's a total grab bag, which is consistent with my other experiences with UA. The OPSC is also a grab bag, but I find that the agents usually know the rules (and blindly stick with them).
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by rjque
The OPSC is also a grab bag, but I find that the agents usually know the rules (and blindly stick with them).
Emphasis mine...

I'm always reminded of the phrase Bob Six had printed on every page of the Continental Customer Service Manual: "Nothing in this manual supersedes common sense."

So much for common sense...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.