Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Airlines, R.I.P. 1934-2011

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
And her mother-in-law, the former Eastern Airlines?
Not to mention her down-at-the-heels half-brother PeoplExpress...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by bniu
People, people. Continental isn't going anywhere at all, she just got married and has changed her name from "Miss Continental" to "Mrs United"...
She still looks the same, and has now got her husband to start dressing better too, and the deed is now in her new name, while her husband's deed has been cancelled, she's running the show, he's just riding along...she's still here, now stronger than ever!

and remember her mother, Mrs. Continental, the former Miss Texas Air?
From the day that Miss Continental got engaged to Mr United she started to change Mr United's lifestyle to mirror hers, so much so that Mr United is losing friends. Now that they are married I hope that Mrs United will see the light before Mr United loses most of his friends and is left only with Mrs United's friends.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Here2There
From the day that Miss Continental got engaged to Mr United she started to change Mr United's lifestyle to mirror hers, so much so that Mr United is losing friends. Now that they are married I hope that Mrs United will see the light before Mr United loses most of his friends and is left only with Mrs United's friends.
I think Mr United brought a lot of good to the table, which will make for an excellent marriage.

First of all, Mr United has a lot planes, with a much greater variety of types, which will mean Mrs. United's fans won't have to travel almost everywhere on 737's or 757's.

Mr. United has international F, and, of course, E+, both of which will make Mrs. United quite a bit more attractive.

Also, Mr. United's customer service has a much softer, more customer-friendly touch, and if any of this rubs off on Mrs. United, it could make her the hostess with the mostest...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Not to mention her down-at-the-heels half-brother PeoplExpress...
Or her long lost provincial and folksy (with somewhat of a backwoods background) Uncle Trans Texas Airways......
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I think Mr United brought a lot of good to the table, which will make for an excellent marriage.

First of all, Mr United has a lot planes, with a much greater variety of types, which will mean Mrs. United's fans won't have to travel almost everywhere on 737's or 757's.

Mr. United has international F, and, of course, E+, both of which will make Mrs. United quite a bit more attractive.

Also, Mr. United's customer service has a much softer, more customer-friendly touch, and if any of this rubs off on Mrs. United, it could make her the hostess with the mostest...
Not to mention their future new kid out there on the horizon: the B787.

They'll be the first family in the domestic neighborhood with this shiny new baby....
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
Or her long lost provincial and folksy (with somewhat of a backwoods background) Uncle Trans Texas Airways......
And let's not forget that it all started once upon a time with grandpa Varney, whose hard work and effort were the basis of Mr. United and Miss Continental, so it's really all in the family anyway.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to mention their future new kid out there on the horizon: the B787.

They'll be the first family in the domestic neighborhood with this shiny new baby....
Oh yes, the B787, the world's first plastic commercial airliner...but, of course, that was a part of Miss Continental's dowry...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Talking about marriages and such reminds of this thread I started 2 years ago...

Continental - The Loose Woman of The Six Majors?

- HF
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Now Gordon can come back and run the show.
Gordon supported, and was for, the merger 100%.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
Talking about marriages and such reminds of this thread I started 2 years ago...

Continental - The Loose Woman of The Six Majors?
- HF
....Back when there WERE six majors

And let's not forget that it all started once upon a time with grandpa Varney, whose hard work and effort were the basis of Mr. United and Miss Continental, so it's really all in the family anyway.
Almost sounds a little "too close"...like "Uncle Dad"
Reminds me of that Bluegrass classic .. "I'm my own Grandpaw"

Originally Posted by CObigtimefan
...And predicted it at least 3 years ago.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/22729834/Airl..._s_Predictions

Last edited by xzh445; Dec 1, 2011 at 11:24 am
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CObigtimefan
And awhile back, word on the street (in the vicinity of 1600 Smith St. in Houston) was that Gordon brought in Smisek because he knew at some point CO would most likely need someone who was accomplished with regard to facilitating a merger.....
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by Here2There
Actually RIP United Airlines is more accurate.
^ I could not agree more.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And awhile back, word on the street (in the vicinity of 1600 Smith St. in Houston) was that Gordon brought in Smisek because he knew at some point CO would most likely need someone who was accomplished with regard to facilitating a merger.....
And, frankly, he was right. Once the combined entity gets going as one airline, it will be a major improvement over the current situation for both carriers...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, frankly, he was right. Once the combined entity gets going as one airline, it will be a major improvement over the current situation for both carriers...
One continues to hope this turns out to be true!

Give the merger a chance, I say.....there's really not much we can do about it at this point (besides taking our business elsewhere, of course, but there's not too many airline choices here in LFT).
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One continues to hope this turns out to be true!

Give the merger a chance, I say.....there's really not much we can do about it at this point (besides taking our business elsewhere, of course, but there's not too many airline choices here in LFT).
Personally I am very optimistic.

What I have discovered in NYC with the DL/NW merger, is that having one carrier that can virtually take you anywhere, is a huge +.

And if DL is any indication, the combined UaCo should really improve...

I hope so.

UA has already benefited from CO's approach (UDU) and CO is benefiting from UA's approach (E+).

There will be bumps in the road, but let's hope they keep it up, and let's try to keep the signature cynicism of our times to a minimum.

The only thing I am very bummed out about is that UaCo cut out its relationship with Amex. They even forced Priority Pass to create a "Select" card to keep the unwashed masses like me out of their United Clubs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.