Wiki Posts
Search

Diverson rates for IAD-AMS/CDG 757

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
I can only imagine this will get worse before it gets better and hope it doesn't spread to IAD.
This is a really odd comment.

Why do you assume it will get "worse before it gets better"? What exactly are you referring to? The weather? In fact that will get better before it gets worse, due to the regular weather patterns. So will UA load management, etc. next winter.

And by "spreads to IAD" do you mean the use of 752s? There are very few routes where this is practical, and they have already moved two of these to 752s. It's actually a big improvement from an onboard product perspective for people stuck in Y compared with the crappy old 763s that were used on these routes in the past. Even better than the refitted 752s, in fact.

Give me an E+ seat or (flat bed in C) on a 752 with AC power, AVOD, etc. any day rather than being stuck in LH Y with an old overhead monitor or LH C with angled lie-flat seats. You may think differently though
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
A 752 to Europe has never really seemed like a good idea to start with, this thread has convinced me of that.
While booking trips to CPH, MUC and FRA on .bomb the past couple times it's seemed like they were really flogging the ex-EWR routes.
Unless you're talking about the routes where the range on the 752 is really stretched -- ex-IAD, EWR-TXL, that sort of thing -- they're perfectly capable of performing European service. Other American carriers run them across the Atlantic as well, with little to no issues.

If you have a preference for widebodies over water, that's your call of course, but functionally the 752 will get you there just as well as a 767 or 777.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Unless you're talking about the routes where the range on the 752 is really stretched -- ex-IAD, EWR-TXL, that sort of thing -- they're perfectly capable of performing European service. Other American carriers run them across the Atlantic as well, with little to no issues.

If you have a preference for widebodies over water, that's your call of course, but functionally the 752 will get you there just as well as a 767 or 777.
Correct, the issue is really just one of range. Any plane operating too close to its operational limit, without virtually any "pad," will have problems sooner or later.

As far as the single-aisle vs wide body, it's a matter of preference. As a rule I prefer wide bodies, although I have had excellent TATL flights on the 752.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Mar 11, 2012 at 7:21 pm
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
UA 125 Diverted Today

Today's AMS-IAD (UA 125) diverted.

http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/apps...eSegments.aspx

United Flight 125

There are multiple segments for this flight. To receive flight and gate status information, please specify a segment.

Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) to Newburgh, NY (SWF)
Newburgh, NY (SWF) to Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.