Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Cancelling PresPlus CC and retaining lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, former AA Gold

Hi all,

My fiancee is the primary cardholder on a PresPlus credit card. We plan to cancel the card in January 2012, our one-year anniversary, to avoid the annual fee.

When she got the card, she also received a President's Club card that has an expiration date of April 2012.

We're honeymooning on a reward ticket to Mozambique in February 2012. Can we still get lounge access at *A lounges in LHR and JNB with the President's Club card?

In brief, does cancelling the credit card automatically cancel the PC membership? Would other *A lounge staff notice this and deny us entry?

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
I don't know the actual answer to your question, but I would guess it will go by the PC card ... My question is what's in the computer when they log you in.

My real reason for posting is to point out that if you like club access, the PP card is the cheapest way to get it.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My understanding is that it is based on the PClub expiry. I haven't had a chance to prove that yet with mine (just canceled the CC) but that's how it is supposed to work from what I understand. The PClub folks do not konw how you got the membership, just that you have one and its expiry date.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
The PClub folks do not konw how you got the membership, just that you have one and its expiry date.
The words Presidential Plus are on the face of the card if you have membership via the Presidential Plus card.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by controller1
The words Presidential Plus are on the face of the card if you have membership via the Presidential Plus card.
Mine never has. You're talking about the separate President's Club membership card, right?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Mine never has. You're talking about the separate President's Club membership card, right?
My current Presidents Club membership card has PRESIDENTIAL PLUS under the eliteAccess script. My wife has a spouse membership through the Presidential Plus card and her Presidents Club membership card also has this shown.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
Mine also says Presidential Plus under Elite Access. And I had the same question, but I don't think it will be accepted after it is cancelled due to the fact they seem to look mine up in the computer every time I go in!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:27 pm

From the credit card T&C's: Upon cancellation of the credit card account, the Presidents Club membership will be cancelled.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, former AA Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
From the credit card T&C's: Upon cancellation of the credit card account, the Presidents Club membership will be cancelled.
Yup, just found that. Thanks to all for the responses.

Seth, if the card still works, well, let us know...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, CO Plat, Avis Pres Club
I cancelled my card back in July. I've had no problems getting into any President's Club in multiple airports. They told me I'm good through end of October, the date that is printed on the card.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by slim26
I cancelled my card back in July. I've had no problems getting into any President's Club in multiple airports. They told me I'm good through end of October, the date that is printed on the card.
Upon cancellation of the PP card Chase will notify CO and your PC membership will be cancelled and flagged.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Ah, the card that is like manna from heaven until, for some reason, it becomes the card from hell on that 365th day
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by happenstance3
Yup, just found that. Thanks to all for the responses.

Seth, if the card still works, well, let us know...
Your original question was regarding using a Star Alliance or Partner lounge not a Continental PC; I am not sure if a partner lounge actually is connected to the PC system and will find out; so even if PC denies entry I would try in the other places you mentioned.
Do let us know what happens.
I am planning on cancelling my credit card but the lounge card expiration is 3 months later and would like to continue using it.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, CO Plat, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by CALGal727
Upon cancellation of the PP card Chase will notify CO and your PC membership will be cancelled and flagged.
Update - just gained access to PC club in EWR and Red Carpet Plus Club at SFO in the past week using my card that is not supposed to work anymore. My presidential plus card has been cancelled as of 6/30/11, but looks like the card will still work through it's expiration date regardless if it is supposed to or not.

My guess is there is a bit of a lag for the system to get updated.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:45 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Canceled my PresPlus card 10 days ago. No problem accessing two different clubs this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.