Wiki Posts
Search

No Upgrade with In-Cabin Pet?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
No Upgrade with In-Cabin Pet?

Was just advised by a CO res agent that the reason I have not been upgraded on my flight tomorrow is that I am traveling with an in-cabin pet.

He quoted PET CBN Line 224 "Do not upgrade customer traveling with in-cabin pet"

Winston has flown in F with me many times. Is this new UA/CO policy? This is NOT noted anywhere on the website or acknowledged at booking. I pay $125 to give up my upgrade AND foot space?!?!

Has anyone else had recent experience with this?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shell nyc
Was just advised by a CO res agent that the reason I have not been upgraded on my flight tomorrow is that I am traveling with an in-cabin pet.

He quoted PET CBN Line 224 "Do not upgrade customer traveling with in-cabin pet"

Winston has flown in F with me many times. Is this new UA/CO policy? This is NOT noted anywhere on the website or acknowledged at booking. I pay $125 to give up my upgrade AND foot space?!?!

That's the policy as I remember it as well. There are numerous restrictions on pets in BF or F that require this somewhat heavy-handed approach (not enough space on certain aircraft, limit on number of animals in F, etc).
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
That's the policy as I remember it as well. There are numerous restrictions on pets in BF or F that require this somewhat heavy-handed approach (not enough space on certain aircraft, limit on number of animals in F, etc).
There are certain plane-types that do not allow for pets in BF. I specifically avoided booking the 767 or 777 for that reason. You are also correct that there are only so many pets allowed per cabin. However, if the website is savvy enough to let me know which flights have space for my pet, the upgrade system should be able to handle that as well.

I'm upset with the policy, but even more upset that it was not made clear during the booking process or on the website.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
This is NOT noted anywhere on the website or acknowledged at booking.
It IS noted on both websites:

If you are on UA metal:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,51255,00.html

United Airlines may not be able to accommodate pets on some aircraft or routes, or in many United First® and United Business® cabins.
If you are on CO metal:
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../in_cabin.aspx
Pets are not permitted in the BusinessFirst cabin of Boeing 757, 767 or 777 aircraft due to inadequate storage space under the seat.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
It IS noted on both websites:

If you are on UA metal:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,51255,00.html

If you are on CO metal:
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../in_cabin.aspx
None of that applies. I'm on a 738. Like I said, I specifically avoided the 777 and 767 for this reason.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I don't have experience upgrading with pets on CO, but on the UA system you can get upgraded and your cabin pet reservation can still be in economy. I have to talk with an agent to upgrade both me and my pet. In my experience, the upgrade system does not know how to handle cabin pets.

As someone who travels with a dog (going to dog shows) and upgrades if possible, it would be good to know why your upgrade was refused with a cabin pet -- type of aircraft, pet space in the cabin, etc.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by octeckels
I don't have experience upgrading with pets on CO, but on the UA system you can get upgraded and your cabin pet reservation can still be in economy. I have to talk with an agent to upgrade both me and my pet. In my experience, the upgrade system does not know how to handle cabin pets.
I can also say that's true from my limited experience with pet travel on UA; my wife, I, and our dog had been upgraded on a 320 going DCA-ORD (sitting in 2CD IIRC). That flight cancelled, and for the next flight, we again got upgraded, but into row 1--nowhere for Didi to ride!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That sucks. I can offer you an extra drink chit so Winston can have another beer on my tab.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA-EP, SPG-Plat, MR-Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by octeckels
I don't have experience upgrading with pets on CO, but on the UA system you can get upgraded and your cabin pet reservation can still be in economy. I have to talk with an agent to upgrade both me and my pet. In my experience, the upgrade system does not know how to handle cabin pets.....
If the pet is travelling with the same PNR it should be eligible for a companion upgrade otherwise day of the pet will need to rely on his own status

Seriously though... one work around could be to not declare the pet until you arrive at the airport to see if they would take away an already cleared upgrade. A downside to this may be that the available pet rservations could be full at that point.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
What does Winston have to say about all of this?

We should not overlook his feelings/opinion.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Now if only we could add infants to this restriction......

It's about courtesy to other passengers
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by derodnight
one work around could be to not declare the pet until you arrive at the airport
You will not be allowed to board. Both airlines require advance reservations for pets.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA-EP, SPG-Plat, MR-Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You will not be allowed to board. Both airlines require advance reservations for pets.
Thanks for pointing out. I had just assumed it was the same policy that AA has where reservations are recommended but walk ups are accepted.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

Hi Shell

You may enjoy a post I had regarding this very issue. It sparked quite a controversy among supporters and opponents:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ds-merged.html
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caseminole
Hi Shell

You may enjoy a post I had regarding this very issue. It sparked quite a controversy among supporters and opponents:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ds-merged.html
Thank you casimenole. I don’t necessarily like that carry-on pets aren’t allowed on those plane types in BF, but the rules are clear and laid out in advance. That is the only reason I didn’t book CO 61, CO 107, or CO 1684. I booked a plane type that DOES allow an in-cabin pet. In fact CO offered me an upgrade for $$ or miles. It seems like the EUA / UDU gnome (to borrow some US terminology) ignored me because of the pet.

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
What does Winston have to say about all of this?

We should not overlook his feelings/opinion.
Finally a relevant question. I’d say Winston prefers F because I arrive happier on the other end.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 19, 2011 at 4:08 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.