Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Big Discrepancy Between Fare Class Availability and Seat Map on co.com?

Big Discrepancy Between Fare Class Availability and Seat Map on co.com?

Old Aug 8, 11, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Question Big Discrepancy Between Fare Class Availability and Seat Map on co.com?

Trying to book a flight from EWR-SEA next week, and when I'm trying to book the return for Friday, one of the options (my preferred option) is only showing first-class availability, even though there appear to be a number of empty seats in economy (20+ seats). I know the fare class availability and seat map don't always line up, but this seems to be a pretty huge discrepancy.

Has something like this ever happened to anyone else? Is it more likely that the seat map is wrong, or the fare class availability? I'd really like to book that flight, but client won't go for a first-class ticket.
Old Aug 8, 11, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by milesmuncher View Post
Trying to book a flight from EWR-SEA next week, and when I'm trying to book the return for Friday, one of the options (my preferred option) is only showing first-class availability, even though there appear to be a number of empty seats in economy (20+ seats). I know the fare class availability and seat map don't always line up, but this seems to be a pretty huge discrepancy.

Has something like this ever happened to anyone else? Is it more likely that the seat map is wrong, or the fare class availability? I'd really like to book that flight, but client won't go for a first-class ticket.
Never rely on the seat maps for anything except for where you can sit.

It is not a very reliable indicator for seats available. One would be surprised at the number of people who book flights, but don't have seats assigned.
Old Aug 8, 11, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA-EP, SPG-Plat, MR-Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
One would be surprised at the number of people who book flights, but don't have seats assigned.
..and if it is getting near the departure day they would be willing to sell a last minute seat at a higher fare that would make them money even after comping a bump.
Old Aug 8, 11, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Flew that route twice last month and it was full both times. Lots of folk connecting onward to alaska for the cruises.
Old Aug 8, 11, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Flew that route twice last month and it was full both times. Lots of folk connecting onward to alaska for the cruises.
Ding ding. Probably a lot of passengers who booked air through the cruise line and don't have seat assignments. (Though whether they're connecting to/from ANC or cruising out of Seattle, it doesn't matter.) I think this typically happens with group travel as well (e.g., class trip), so there is very often a good reason for the seat maps in coach to be quite different from the actual availability.
Old Aug 8, 11, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks all - very helpful and enlightening!
Old Aug 8, 11, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Never rely on the seat maps for anything except for where you can sit.

It is not a very reliable indicator for seats available. One would be surprised at the number of people who book flights, but don't have seats assigned.
I know colleagues who regularly utilize Expedia for booking flights and I would estimate at least 50% of the time no seat assignments are made.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: