Search

No Onboard wifi???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
No Onboard wifi???

I did a search, both on FT and google and came up with an article from the google search that said wifi will roll out on CO's fleet in 2010 on the 753's.

With that, I asked 'Alex' on co.com regarding wifi and she said none of CO's planes have wifi yet.

So, what is the deal with wifi and continental?

I've got a flight on Friday on a 757 and was wondering what the chances are of it having wifi.

Thanks

Continental Airlines To Offer Inflight Wi-Fi

From Jennifer Johnson, About.com Guide December 17, 2009

Continental Airlines plans to begin offering Gogo Inflight Internet service beginning in the second quarter of next year.

http://palmtops.about.com/b/2009/12/...ight-wi-fi.htm

Last edited by DL2SXM; Jul 17, 2011 at 8:57 am
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I did a search, both on FT and google and came up with an article from the google search that said wifi will roll out on CO's fleet in 2010 on the 753's.

With that, I asked 'Alex' on co.com regarding wifi and she said none of CO's planes have wifi yet.

So, what is the deal with wifi and continental?

I've got a flight on Friday on a 757 and was wondering what the chances are of it having wifi.

Thanks

No wi-fi, coming soon though. UA only has it on PS planes so it's not just CO though.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
No CO plane has wifi. Not sure, but I think no UA planes do either (maybe PS flights do.)

Supposedly CO has LOI to introduce wifi to the 737's via the DirecTV supplier with DirecTV installed, but so far nothing has happened towards that AFAIK.

CO did have plans a few years ago to do it, but something fell through with the supplier to install it.

So there is ZERO chance you will have WIFI on a co 757 this week and likely not even by year's end. And I don't think there are any firm plans yet to introduce to 757's (as they on't have DirecTV installed).
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by cbechdel
No CO plane has wifi. Not sure, but I think no UA planes do either (maybe PS flights do.)

Supposedly CO has LOI to introduce wifi to the 737's via the DirecTV supplier with DirecTV installed, but so far nothing has happened towards that AFAIK.

CO did have plans a few years ago to do it, but something fell through with the supplier to install it.

So there is ZERO chance you will have WIFI on a co 757 this week and likely not even by year's end. And I don't think there are any firm plans yet to introduce to 757's (as they on't have DirecTV installed).
They are going to install wi-fi on the 757s when they install the DTV.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
great, so I figured that all the majors had wifi by now...afterall its what, 2011?

So, the wife has to work on Friday and I assured her that CO's planes have wifi. Yikes. Maybe I'll just tell her the wifi on the plane we will be on is broken and hope for the best!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Why would you assure her the planes have wifi from a very old press release and not refer to the CO website? You could put her on your beloved Delta, don't they have more wifi equipped planes?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: UA-1k and missing CO AA EXP
Bad idea to guarantee. Even airlines tat gave wifi it usually varies by flight. I used to fly AA and it was hit and miss at best which flights would have it. US Air also has on some flights. United is so far behind the times no WIFI or Directtv. I don't care as much on CO as I use Directtv and work on email or something I don't need Internet for. Good Luck with our wife. I would tell her the truth as it is not hard info to find out and she will be even more mad if you lie to her.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

VX, DL and FL have it fleet-wide. WN and AA have committed to rolling it out fleet-wide but aren't there yet. AS is also going fleet-wide, I think, but I'm not certain. UA only has it on p.s. flights and one other random 757 with the Row44 service. US only has it on their A321s.

CO committed to the LiveTV Kiteline product back when they also got the DirecTV installation started. And then LiveTV failed to produce a functional product so CO was left sitting on the sidelines in that regard. They've since signed a LoI with LiveTV to try for the satellite based version of their offering. That won't go live until next year when the satellite is actually launched. There are rumors that the LiveTV install, along with the internet, will expand to the PMUA domestic fleet but nothing publicly announced on that front.

It is worth noting that there is still not evidence from any source that sufficient booking trends move based on whether a flight has wifi or not so CO/UA being late adopters has apparently not affected revenue and it gives them the opportunity to be deploying the second (third if you count AirFone) generation services that are faster and cheaper to operate and maintain. They're also going with a technology that has more potential to work on intercontinental flights. We'll see if that gives them an advantage long-term.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
They are going to install wi-fi on the 757s when they install the DTV.
http://www.businessinsider.com/conti...flights-2011-3
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tish50
Good Luck with our wife. I would tell her the truth as it is not hard info to find out and she will be even more mad if you lie to her.
Oops. Typo with a bad meaning
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by nypdLieu

Short answer - no chance what so ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.