Search

Upgrade priority question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:38 pm
RETIRED ACCOUNT
Original Poster

Programs: *A
Upgrade priority question

I'm CO Gold and traveling with a non-elite co-worker. We are both on B fares so I got the automatic upgrade at booking. If I put him up for the companion upgrade at the airport, where will he fall? From what I can tell, he will be placed ahead of anyone except a Plat/1K/GS on a Y/B/M fare. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Your companion is ahead of all other golds on non Y/B fares as well as all silvers (except those on Y fares). Your companion falls below all plats/pres plats and golds on Y/B fares.

-RM
Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:56 pm
RETIRED ACCOUNT
Original Poster

Thanks!

To clarify, will my companion fall above or below Plats on non Y/B fares?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by benFlys
Thanks!

Behind them. But most, if not, all, would be upgraded by then....I imagine.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:03 pm

Thanks!

On battlefield, above Plats on non-Y/B/M fares but as the poster said before all plats should have been cleared by then within the EUA.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-us.../upgrades.aspx

Priority for First Class/Business Class Elite upgrades is determined by:

Full Fare Economy Y Allows all Elite members to upgrade at the time of ticketing when a seat is available on eligible flights operated by Continental

Discount Full Fare Economy B and Platinum Elite Members in M Allows all Elite members to upgrade at the time of ticketing, subject to capacity controls, on eligible flights operated by Continental

Elite level: Members are prioritized according to their Elite level — Platinum, Gold and then Silver. When traveling with other Elite members or non-Elite members, Elite members should purchase their flight on a separate itinerary.

Restricted fare class: Upgrade priority within Elite level will be based on fare class purchased. The fare class structure in priority order is as follows: M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G and N.

Ticketing date/time: All else being equal, the sooner Elite members ticket their itinerary, the better their upgrade chances.

Check in time: If your upgrade is processed from the standby upgrade list at the airport, check in time will be used in place of booking date/time.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
If I read it right, gate upgrades for a Plat on any fare will be ahead of a Gold on any fare since status is considered before fare. At the gate, your companion will be a gold equivalent behind all plats that are still on the gate upgrade list.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: CoAir Platinum; UAL 1K; HH Diamond
Deleted by self.

Last edited by MtVernonCoAir; Jul 11, 2011 at 5:10 pm Reason: Doh! Senior moment -- Mixed-up threads. (Thought I was replying to another thread; but posted here!)
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:37 pm

There are two systems in play and it gets confusing/very complicated as they both work simultaneously. It's also a debate at whether you should OLCI at the 24 hour mark or not (there's a thread here somewhere on FT about it).

That battlefield list (the list that you see at the gate) isn't what you necessarily want to go off from as a #3 can get confirmed before #1 because of the other system.

Best just to add him as a companion at the gate (if he hasn't upgraded yet) and hope for the best (as it is better than his status). Thinking about it too much might give you a headache. (it always gives me one)
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, hold on a second. There definitely seems to be some conflicting information in here.

Normally, a Gold companion will be upgraded AFTER all Platinum Elites, Platinum companions and Gold elites.

The question here is whether the fact that the Gold companion is on a B fare "bumps" his priority up to the Y/B "section" at the top of the priority list, or whether the Gold companion is still processed behind ALL Gold elites, just receiving the benefit of the B fare among other Gold companions.

I have not seen any information to suggest that a Gold companion on a B fare gets treated with the higher priority, ahead of Platinum elites on sub-M fares. Co.com is not particularly specific about the ordering of companion upgrades. I would be surprised (but not shocked) if they would upgrade a Gold companion on a B fare ahead of a Platinum on an H fare.

Non-elites on full Y fares are entitled to upgrades (they stopped publishing this benefit as it happened so rarely), but those theoretically get processed after ALL elites, not after just Y/B elites. I suspect it's the same with companions.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:38 pm

For some reason in my mind, I thought he was a Plat traveling with a Gold companion -- I think this heat is getting to me .

ijgordon is correct then. However, this is at the airport (usually around 3-4 hours) -- companion upgrades are usually hard to come by (of course it also depends on route and time of day).
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:41 pm
RETIRED ACCOUNT
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The question here is...
Yes, this is where I am confused. From what I understand (this could be a misunderstanding), a Silver on a higher fare than a Plat will get the upgrade. Please correct me if this is not the right information.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:47 pm

Yes, this is where I am confused. From what I understand (this could be a misunderstanding), a Silver on a higher fare than a Plat will get the upgrade. Please correct me if this is not the right information.

Yes a Silver on Y/B fare will be prioritized higher than a Plat on a lower fare (anything besides Y / B and possibly M).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.