Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-BOM: Business vs. first?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

EWR-BOM: Business vs. first?

Hi all - Haven't been around here in 3 years or so but got some good honeymoon advice once upon a time, so I'm back.

I'm headed to Mumbai for work in about a month with a colleague and am looking at the EWR-BOM direct flights. I was wondering: What is the plane like the Continental uses for this flight -- specifically, how does business class compare to first class? E.g. Does first class have fully reclining beds? Are first class seats together in pairs or separated from one another? Different entertainment systems? Are there other differences worth mentioning?

Also, does the plane have WiFi?

Our client is paying and we're trying to decide whether to ask them to spring for first class, or whether the difference isn't enough to make it worth the extra cost.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
There is only one premium class on Continental - its called BusinessFirst by marketing geniuses at CO - but it really is just business class.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:42 pm

That flight is with CO’s 772s, so BF will have their lie-flat seats. I’ve flown in them several times and they’re very nice, arranged 2-2-2. Go for the bulkheads, they’ve got more foot space.

The IFE is on-demand. Good enough selection. Power outlets for your laptop, USB port for your iPod/iPad.

No wifi. I think the only airline offering Wifi on TATL flights is LH, and I don’t think it’s offered on DE-India flights, but you’d have to check their website.

CO’s BF food tends to be good for airline food. I’ve yet to have an inedible meal. It’s rarely fantastic but it’s respectable. Ice cream sundaes are a plus as well.

The 772 is the best bird in their fleet, it’s a solid choice. If you want F and can pay for it, LH F or LX F would both be excellent and a whole different level from CO BF, but require a stop in FRA, MUC or ZRH.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the quick and thorough replies!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:30 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the CO Forum. (UA/CO Merged Forums)
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:25 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
The biggest advantage of EWR-BOM non-stop is the convenient departure and landing times.
It lands 9PM at BOM, which means you can get a full night of sleep.

Also, as mentioned above, CO has full flat beds on this route.

LH F / LX F may be more awesome with respect to flight experience. But, the flights will land around midnight at BOM. It may be 1AM or more before you get to your hotel.

Air India (AI) F is apparently an amazing product as well (EWR-BOM non-stop). Gets in to BOM early evening. However, AI is not in Star Alliance (yet...we never know when they will join).

LOL, if you really want to be spoiled by your clients, ask for SQ:
EWR-SIN nonstop on A345 All-business class flight.
SIN-BOM in F ...
That might be one amazing experience.....but you will spend at least 12 hours more on the plane / transit!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by snod08
The biggest advantage of EWR-BOM non-stop is the convenient departure and landing times.
It lands 9PM at BOM, which means you can get a full night of sleep.
And on the return, the flight lands at EWR at 5:20am, giving you a fairly deserted Immigration Hall (assuming the DEL and TLV flights arrived on time and cleared) and a full day in the NYC area or plenty of time for a shower in the lounge before your connecting flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.