Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wildest Diversion Tale?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
I was at DAL a few years ago, it was 2006 or 2007, where there where either 17 or 25 Continental Express ERJs at DAL. It was insane. They were parked on the Continental ramp and all they way down Terminal past old AA gates to Gulfstream. I never seen so many Continental planes at DAL. DAL looked like a new CO hub that day. This was back when it was an ExpressJet station. It was a zoo over there that day. They ordered a ton of pizza for everyone on the planes and staff at DAL took care of everyone and got all the planes out when it got better. I think Houston was under fog that wouldn't lift or something like that. It happened twice that year at DAL. Once was 17 and other was 25 diverted to DAL.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, United 1k
HNL-EWR back at Thanksgiving time. Left HNL on time, but weather turned nasty in flight. After the 9+ hours in the air, we circled Allentown for another hour, then flew back west an hour to Pittsburgh (yes, PIT saw a widebody!). The COEX ground staff was great, but overwhelmed during our 4 hours on the ground in PIT.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...540Z/PHNL/KEWR
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
On a NW flight from AMS-EWR, had a medical emergency on the flight (not me) and had to land in YQX (Gander).
Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:24 am

HDN-IAH this past Friday, diverted to AMA due to an electrical problem. The captain announced they had lost the navigational system, most of the interior lights went out (seat belt light, overhead lights etc.), and the cabin took on a burnt electrical smell. It was a bit unnerving.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, LH
Diverted from Dayton to Minneapolis

As there was not availaible space on ORD-DAY non-stop, I booked ORD-CVG-DAY. Flight to CVG was on-time, but CVG-DAY was delayed due to snowstorm.

Adter departure from CVG to DAY, DAY closed due to weather, and our schedule became:

-Divert to CMH (Columbus), but then CMH closed
-Divert to DTW, but then DTW closed
-Divert to IND, but then IND closed

After the aborted trun to IND, the pilot mentioned that ORD was full, but told us that we would be going to MSP, which is where I spent the rest of the afternoon. (I don'tknow why, but MKE never was mentioned as an option.)
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: OnePass - Platinum, MileagePlus - 1K (Linked)
Flight crew was ill

I was on a flight from BOS to IAH in February, 2011, where one of the flight deck crew fell ill. She came out of the cockpit. Medical personnel were paged. She ended up sitting on the floor for a little. I think she threw up because the flight attendants took all the barf bags in the first row. I was in 1E and I was happy to get out of the way so I ended up sitting in 10A until she deplaned. I think we landed in ATL. I can hardly remember, it was so late, I was having lots of drinks and I was not looking forward to "sleeping" in IAH for the night.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
On CO sister airline UA on March 11: our SFO-NRT flight was - after an hour or so of circling off the coast of Japan - first diverted to OKO (Yokoda Air Base) and then later in the evening to KIX.

Before that - also on UA - LAS-SFO diverted to OAK because of an emergency landing of a DL jet at SFO. Don't recall the details, but i think the runway was closed for a while due to foam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.