Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Rant/request for help... I am irrationally but genuinely FURIOUS at Continental

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant/request for help... I am irrationally but genuinely FURIOUS at Continental

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: Cattle Class
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
Because travel is on another airline and on award tickets booked on another airline than the program you are using, generally award space is required after a schedule change.
Are you saying that let's say I book an award on LH (using CO miles) and then LH changes the schedule 1 month prior the trip, that I'm screwed, as no award seats will be available? What if the change causes a illegal connection or change is on the return segments after some of the segments are already completed?
For me this just doesn't make any sense. Honestly I do not see any difference after ticket is issued if it was an X seat or paid seat.
Are there any published rules that say that?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by Awtas
Are you saying that let's say I book an award on LH (using CO miles) and then LH changes the schedule 1 month prior the trip, that I'm screwed, as no award seats will be available? What if the change causes a illegal connection or change is on the return segments after some of the segments are already completed?
For me this just doesn't make any sense. Honestly I do not see any difference after ticket is issued if it was an X seat or paid seat.
Are there any published rules that say that?
Normally LH would automatically put everyone that was on A flight on B flight when A flight gets cancelled and when you call CO because you don't like B flight, they will only offer options that are currently available for miles. Also, miles availability often gets much better, not worse, close to flight date, so there is a good chance there would be award inventory on something else at the last minute.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:17 pm

Normally LH would automatically put everyone that was on A flight on B flight when A flight gets cancelled and when you call CO because you don't like B flight, they will only offer options that are currently available for miles.
Why is that? let's say they put me on flight that gets me to my destination 10 hours later and I don't like it, won't they change it without too many questions asked if there are better alternatives? I guess my question is, when putting pax on flight B, how do they decide that it is acceptable for the pax?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
OP: can you come back and let us know what you ended up negotiating?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Normally LH would automatically put everyone that was on A flight on B flight when A flight gets cancelled and when you call CO because you don't like B flight, they will only offer options that are currently available for miles.
Why is that? let's say they put me on flight that gets me to my destination 10 hours later and I don't like it, won't they change it without too many questions asked if there are better alternatives? I guess my question is, when putting pax on flight B, how do they decide that it is acceptable for the pax?
generally, they'll put you on the next most convenient flight. In most cases it's fine. Sometimes it's not (because convenience is subjective) and then you run into problems.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
generally, they'll put you on the next most convenient flight. In most cases it's fine. Sometimes it's not (because convenience is subjective) and then you run into problems.
since convenience is subjective, pax should accept the changes or work with the airline to look at other options, but award seats shouldn't even come into the picture, is that correct?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
This is a four year old data point, but I have been in the position of being SOL with an award itinerary where I used UA miles to book a LH trip. Unfortunately, LH suddenly stopped serving the city that my family was flying to. While LH was moving paid pax on this route to connecting flights via a different city (on a third carrier), they were not going to do so for award ticket holders, or at least would not do so for award tickets booked via Mileage Plus. Such is life when it comes to award itineraries across the alliance.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
This is a four year old data point, but I have been in the position of being SOL with an award itinerary where I used UA miles to book a LH trip. Unfortunately, LH suddenly stopped serving the city that my family was flying to. While LH was moving paid pax on this route to connecting flights via a different city (on a third carrier), they were not going to do so for award ticket holders, or at least would not do so for award tickets booked via Mileage Plus. Such is life when it comes to award itineraries across the alliance.
This is not my experience. Mine is with DL, but they moved me to an alternate DL flight (where award inventory was nil) when AF changed my schedule. There was a similar thread here a while back with someone who had his AC itinerary changed (Award using OnePass miles) and CO reacomodated him to an alternate CO flight.
Get a supervisor online and ask nicely.

Happy Travels
DLP
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
since convenience is subjective, pax should accept the changes or work with the airline to look at other options, but award seats shouldn't even come into the picture, is that correct?
Not correct if the flights you want are on another airline. Generally CO would be unwilling to accomadate you on any other airlines flights that does not have award availability, regardless how reasonable your request is considering what the schedule change is.

Originally Posted by DLPhoenix
This is not my experience. Mine is with DL, but they moved me to an alternate DL flight (where award inventory was nil) when AF changed my schedule.
Yes, you can often get an airline to move you to their own flights where award availability is nill. Of course, if you are dealing with a destinaton not served by that ailrine, you have a bigger problem.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Not correct if the flights you want are on another airline. Generally CO would be unwilling to accomadate you on any other airlines flights that does not have award availability, regardless how reasonable your request is considering what the schedule change is.
For all intents and purposes i agree with you but in this particular instance its the same company. I realize the transition is not fully complete but they can certainly rectify this particular case(imo its a matter of finding someone with enough authority to actually fix it, UA Insider). If we were talking about two entirely different airlines I agree it would be a little more difficult to get worked out.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by judolphin
[*]Going to Hawaii for the first time. I realize I am very lucky to be able to do so.
I hope you dont mean you were lucky to secure award seats to OGG.
Unlike Delta, these are not that difficult to get and you dont have to be "lucky"
I think you'll come to realize that award travel on Star Alliance is not a hassle, and one does not have to "score" tickets like with SkyPesos.

A year in advance, I guess one has to be ready to expect schedule changes, but keep trying on CO, they have to accommodate you, even if it has to be on their own metal at the times that are convenient to you, be armed with a plan when you call. and insist!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
OP: can you come back and let us know what you ended up negotiating?
Of course. I'm going to wait until tomorrow (Monday) so that (a.) the agents who are working might be more competent and (b.) the higher-ups who might be able to actually help me, will be working.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I hope you dont mean you were lucky to secure award seats to OGG.
Unlike Delta, these are not that difficult to get and you dont have to be "lucky"
I think you'll come to realize that award travel on Star Alliance is not a hassle, and one does not have to "score" tickets like with SkyPesos.

A year in advance, I guess one has to be ready to expect schedule changes, but keep trying on CO, they have to accommodate you, even if it has to be on their own metal at the times that are convenient to you, be armed with a plan when you call. and insist!
What I meant was, I realize I'm some shmuck who's ranting about the manner in which I'm being transported to a Hawaiian vacation when much greater problems exist.

You're right, it's much easier to get seats on *A. Honestly the only negative I've seen about CO/UA is how difficult it is for a dirt member to get anyone with a semblance of competence on the phone. I agree someone there will agree with me and make it right -- it's a matter of stumbling across the right person willing to help.

Last edited by judolphin; Mar 6, 2011 at 10:28 am
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:18 am
Original Poster

I am bit confused.
Why are we talking about the award seat availability? Why CO is looking again for the award seats? Shouldn't they be looking for any seats in the cabin that was originally booked? Or they are treating the OP now as the change(on the accepted change) is initiated by the OP?
This is what I'm screaming. Basically because the particular agents I'm speaking to have been incompetent and have been unwilling to transfer me to a supe (I've found unwillingness to escalate to be rampant among off-shore call center agents).

Last edited by judolphin; Mar 6, 2011 at 10:30 am
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by judolphin
Of course. I'm going to wait until tomorrow (Monday) so that (a.) the agents who are working might be more competent and (b.) the higher-ups who might be able to actually help me, will be working....
There are plenty of great people working today - you don't need to wait until Monday. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to find seats. I would start calling now. Are you a CO Elite?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Update

Originally Posted by bocastephen
There are plenty of great people working today - you don't need to wait until Monday. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to find seats. I would start calling now. Are you a CO Elite?
I am not Elite with CO or UA. I did just call in.

The lady finally got us booked on a 9 AM JAX-IAH flight that will get us into SFO in plenty of time for UA's OGG flight. That was acceptable to me as it's only 45 minutes or so earlier than the original.

When I went online to select the seats, I found the JAX-IAH flight she put me on was overbooked. It's like I'm dealing with lawyers here... guess I should have asked her for seat assignments here. Because apparently, if I forget to ask a question, I'm screwed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.