E170s replacing ER4s?

Old Feb 3, 11, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
E170s replacing ER4s?

Noticed starting Thursday 2/17, most flights on the EWR-MSP and EWR-DTW route are being flown on Shuttle America E170s...is this the start of the phase out of the ER4? Has anyone flown these planes? How are they? What's the chance of an EUA on them since they only have 6 F seats? Is 2/17 a magic day in terms of fleet merging?
Old Feb 3, 11, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott PLT, UA 1K.
i don't know about the fleet merging or anything but i will say that i've been on UA E170's a few times and been EUA'd every time even as a lowly CO gold.

and whatever will get rid of those freaking ER4's... good lord i can't stand those stupid cramped planes.
Old Feb 3, 11, 10:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Go for Row 3 (especially 3B) until upgraded

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...emb-170-a.html
Old Feb 4, 11, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Go for Row 3 (especially 3B) until upgraded

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...emb-170-a.html
Precisely!
Old Feb 4, 11, 5:39 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by dparkinson View Post
Noticed starting Thursday 2/17, most flights on the EWR-MSP and EWR-DTW route are being flown on Shuttle America E170s...is this the start of the phase out of the ER4? Has anyone flown these planes? How are they? What's the chance of an EUA on them since they only have 6 F seats? Is 2/17 a magic day in terms of fleet merging?
1) Your chances of an EUA are Zero. Its UDU on UA

2) That isn't a magic day. There are a lot of CO routes that are starting to be run by UAX. Seems to be one of the first really visible points of operational integration.

3) The UA routes on the E70 tend to be some of the easier ones to upgrade. I've been on flights that were not full in F, even after UDU came into the fold. No Channel 9, no IFE, but the planes themselves are quite nice and I find Shuttle America crews to be the best of any UAX ones.
Old Feb 4, 11, 6:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I was surprised (and pleased) to see these flights on the CO schedule. What happened to the Arbitration ruling, that said CO couldn't advertise these flights? Did that ruling just refer to CO codesharing E70 flights? I checked the EWR-STL route I flew on an E70 last month, and it's showing listed as a UA flight, but clearly showing the E70 equipment, right alongside the CO E40's. When I flew there the first week of January, the flight didn't appear on the schedule.

Whatever the reason, this is fantastic. It's a great ride, after years of cramped flying on the E40's. In F, seat 2A is comparable to or better than any other domestic CO FC seat (outside of the BF seats of course). And I got a pillow & blanket!
Old Feb 4, 11, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
1) Your chances of an EUA are Zero. Its UDU on UA
These flights are actually under CO control, not UA control. The only thing UA about them is the flight number, plane, and crew. I have taken two of these flights from DFW to IAH and had EUA on both 5 days out. Also, seats are selected on co.com, not UA.com. And gate agents and checking are CO.
Old Feb 4, 11, 8:35 am

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cuse44 View Post
These flights are actually under CO control, not UA control. The only thing UA about them is the flight number, plane, and crew. I have taken two of these flights from DFW to IAH and had EUA on both 5 days out. Also, seats are selected on co.com, not UA.com. And gate agents and checking are CO.
How does CO handle E+? Is it a "premium seating" section or does it actually treat the seats as ELR?
Old Feb 4, 11, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott PLT, UA 1K.
Originally Posted by boat9781 View Post
How does CO handle E+? Is it a "premium seating" section or does it actually treat the seats as ELR?
if you're CO elite, i noticed that i can get both CO ELR/premium and UA E+ both for free and at the time of booking.
Old Feb 4, 11, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
Thumbs up Not a bad sign for the future of E+ IMO

I was rebooked on the E170 out of EWR after my connection in ORD was canceled due to flow control. It's really awesome to see a United Express plane being flown and managed by CO. I could be wrong, but technically these seem like the first planes flown as CO metal with fully intact Economy Plus seating. It may mean nothing as to the future of E+, but it's not a bad sign IMO.

I've always preferred E170s when flying United Express. They are the most comfortable IMO. And it's wonderful to be rebooked on the exact same equipment during irrops on a CO flight. I am pleasantly surprised.

I wonder if my 1K drink chits will work on this flight?
Old Feb 4, 11, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Alternatively, I've got a couple of ER4 legs coming up on AUS-DEN. You win some, you lose some.
Old Feb 4, 11, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
Interesting... as I was boarding the gate agent hands me a boarding pass for seat 1A. And of was weird that the boarding was done United style... I didn't hear a call for CO elites at all.

Crew is definitely United Airlines too...but with CO boarding passes. Weird!
Old Feb 4, 11, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by boat9781 View Post
On my flights on the CR7, all of the E+ seats are treated as premium seats (similar to the elite section on the 737) and available to all elites, but they are colored blue like the ELR seats (and sold as such to non-elites). The seats in Row 3 and the Exit Row are coded as the traditional ELR seats (only available to Plats/Golds in advance).
Old Feb 4, 11, 10:33 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by bob_the_d View Post
and whatever will get rid of those freaking ER4's... good lord i can't stand those stupid cramped planes.
Agree, and being MKE and MSP-based, they were a huge part of why I have yet to do CO in Int'l C.

Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
I find Shuttle America crews to be the best of any UAX ones.
Any Republic Airways Holdings crew is usually pretty good.
Old Feb 9, 11, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA Plat/2MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by agarc View Post
I wonder if my 1K drink chits will work on this flight?
Did those chits work? I have an upcoming flight on CO and want to know if my 1k chits will work for drinks.

Thanks

Search this Thread