Wiki Posts
Search

No standard rewards for Asian First Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta
No standard rewards for Asian First Class

Longtime CO Platinum Elite, Million Miler here, trying to use miles for EWR-China (Beijing,Shanghai,Hong Kong). In March or April 2011 - i.e. several months forward - most of the First Class cabins on these routes are empty or nearly so. So many unsold seats.

Yet despite that, and my Elite status which supposedly allows better reward access, there is zero availability of reward First Class seats for Standard Miles - only the more expensive mileage level.

To me, this is an affront to the loyal customer, and I hope Continental (United) takes a different approach to mileage allocation of reward seats going forward.

Any others have experience that helped in such situations?

Alternatives like taking a direct rather than nonstop and adding--say--8 hours to a trip--to me are the opposite of Platinum Elite upgrading!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by nycmarcus
Longtime CO Platinum Elite, Million Miler here, trying to use miles for EWR-China (Beijing,Shanghai,Hong Kong). In March or April 2011 - i.e. several months forward - most of the First Class cabins on these routes are empty or nearly so. So many unsold seats.

Yet despite that, and my Elite status which supposedly allows better reward access, there is zero availability of reward First Class seats for Standard Miles - only the more expensive mileage level.

To me, this is an affront to the loyal customer, and I hope Continental (United) takes a different approach to mileage allocation of reward seats going forward.

Any others have experience that helped in such situations?

Alternatives like taking a direct rather than nonstop and adding--say--8 hours to a trip--to me are the opposite of Platinum Elite upgrading!
Please note that this most likely is not a result of United or Continental policy, but rather those of the partner carriers. That being said, please do not use either web site as a barometer of availability. Your best bet is to call the Elite Desk and ask them to search. Additionally, you will also find that availability increases significantly within a month of departure.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I'm actually guessing that the OP is looking at co.com and looking for BF seats, not F, and seeing limited inventory. I do not generally see CO seats on those dates but there is AC inventory scattered around and they run a pretty solid product. It is always possible to book the available AC flight and then waitlist for the non-stop CO flights and hope that it clears.

Also, 3-4 months out isn't really all that far in advance for award seats.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:27 am

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
Originally Posted by nycmarcus

To me, this is an affront to the loyal customer
+1

B7
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Also, 3-4 months out isn't really all that far in advance for award seats.
But it is pretty far out to expect many paid BusinessFirst seats to be sold.

I do see a lot of standard economy seats to all 3 cities. The original poster can "Plan B" it -- redeem a BusinessFirst award but only confirm economy, and then waitlist for BusinessFirst. CO will release the BF seats for awards when and if bookings are trailing their forecasts/expectations, and you'd be "first" in line to get them. Sometimes they clear relatively quickly (sometimes they don't). I think revenue management may consider who is on the waitlist when deciding to release award inventory (though I could be wrong, I know CX definitely does this for their top tier elites).

In some ways this strategy of CO's to be cautious on publicly releasing BF inventory in advance is preferential for CO OnePass members who are able to waitlist for the space. If it was just available for anyone, you could see the awards being snapped up more quickly by Star alliance partner members.

But if you do find business class award availability on another partner with a connection, you're probably better off booking that and then waitlisting for the nonstop CO flight (like was suggested), because at least that way you're assured a business class seat.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Try OZ/NH - better experience than any of the US carriers. Easy/nice connecting airports too.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
But it is pretty far out to expect many paid BusinessFirst seats to be sold.

I do see a lot of standard economy seats to all 3 cities. The original poster can "Plan B" it -- redeem a BusinessFirst award but only confirm economy, and then waitlist for BusinessFirst. CO will release the BF seats for awards when and if bookings are trailing their forecasts/expectations, and you'd be "first" in line to get them.
Agreed, though unless the non-stop was an absolute must I'd rather confirm on a connection still in the big comfy seat (and AC's product up front is quite solid) and then waitlist for the CO than confirm in Y.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Try OZ/NH - better experience than any of the US carriers.
Do either have flat beds? I know that's very important for some people.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Try OZ/NH - better experience than any of the US carriers. Easy/nice connecting airports too.
Yes, but NH has very limited F and J award availability.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:35 am

AC should have a lot of available saver award seats in ExecutiveFirst from US to China connecting through YYZ or YVR. YYZ has better availability than YVR. Unless you really want the non-stop or BusinessFirst on CO.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd take the AC flights...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Do either have flat beds? I know that's very important for some people.
OZ does in F - only a few of the birds do in C (currently reconfiguring)

So does UA in F
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OZ does in F - only a few of the birds do in C (currently reconfiguring)

So does UA in F
Yes, of course there are flat beds in F. It's not really clear that the OP is looking for a 3-class F award though; his desire to fly nonstop from NYC would preclude that, except on Air China JFK-PEK I guess. He was looking at CO BusinessFirst awards, so at the J level.
So what I really was asking was whether there were flat beds in J on OZ or NH. It would certainly be an important factor in whether those two airlines "provided a better experience than the US carriers."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.