Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What strategy to get better seat?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

What strategy to get better seat?

I am new to FT. I searched but could not find best strategy for getting better seat on Continental.

I booked flight to from EWR to SFO two weeks ago, but did not offer seat assignment at that time. I thought I could check in 24 hours early (today) and seats would be available. They have assigned me 1 bad seat, but no others are shown available. Is there anything I can still do?

What should I have done?

R
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by revheck
I am new to FT. I searched but could not find best strategy for getting better seat on Continental.

I booked flight to from EWR to SFO two weeks ago, but did not offer seat assignment at that time. I thought I could check in 24 hours early (today) and seats would be available. They have assigned me 1 bad seat, but no others are shown available. Is there anything I can still do?

What should I have done?

R

Hello revheck

You might get a better response if you asked your question at the Continental FT board rather than here at British Airways. Good luck with your efforts to get a better seat.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-488/
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

To the good people of the Continental OnePass forum, please accept this thread with our compliments and hopefully along the way you can help out revheck with his/her query.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
Hello revchek! Welcome to FlyerTalk!

visit https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...virtual_expert to find your local Continental phone number. I am assuming you are non-elite, so you do not have access to elite seating online. Over the phone, you may be lucky enough to have an agent willing to reseat you somewhere that you'd prefer.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Welcome to the CO board;

1. You could buy a First class seat.
2. You can call Continental Customer Service and hopefully you will be given a better seat.
3. You can ask to buy a better seat - exit row or bulkhead row. (may be worth it on such a long flight)

keep in mind that this flight is usually packed and more so with elites so many of the "better seats" may already be taken.
I am not sure why you were not allowed to choose a seat when you booked the flight - maybe because you did not buy it on continental.com?

Good luck
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Keep doing OLCI over and over, as frequently as you have time. Chances are some other seats may open up between now and the time you go to the airport. And even then you can still ask at the gate.

But I don't know how you define a "bad seat". If you are already in an aisle (if you want an aisle) or a window (if you want a window), then chances of improving is clearly less than if say you're in the middle seat in the last row, and any other seat opened up will be an improvement.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by revheck

What should I have done?

R
Which flight are you on? We can look at the seat map and give you an idea. You can also go to pda.continental.com and look at the seat map there. If there are any green $ over a seat, it's an extra legroom seat that you can buy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.