Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Purchase FareLock to hold your itinerary and fare for 72 hours or 7 days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase FareLock to hold your itinerary and fare for 72 hours or 7 days

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: Continental
Benefit?

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Count me as one who likes and supports this new benefit.

I am one who will use the service as I find it beneficial. I am looking at booking a LAS trip in February. So I see good fares right now and I am going to use the FareLock to hold it while I make sure the hotel and friends itineraries are lined up as well.
A benefit, is something you get for free. This, like most everything else lately, costs extra. But it can be useful.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/7337702.html

That would be ridiculous.

Granted its wild speculation in this article, but the thought of it it crazy. I have a mental image of a CO employee standing there like a cigar store indian waiting for you to swipe your card or plop a $20 in their hand.
Spirit announced about a month ago that they want to charge customers to interact with a human at the airport. I haven't heard any follow-up on it but it was reported on the news.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Sorry to go OT, but how can they possibly get away with charging everyone to check-in?. AFAIK, check-in is not an optional service that can be unbundled, like advance seat assignment, checked or carry-on baggage, or even lavatory use . If you purchase a ticket then you have a valid contract for transportation. What happens if you refuse to pay for check-in? Can they refuse to honor their contract, even though you already paid the consideration? This just smells really bad.
Everything at RyanAir smells really bad. Before I posted I actually took a quick look double-check and best I can tell, you are required to pay the checkin fee, no matter what. Oh, also have to pay a fee to buy the ticket in the first place (unless you happen to have a prepaid MasterCard). But I guess sometimes it's all worth it when you can buy a ticket for 1 EUR incl. taxes (plus fees of course). Michael O'Leary is an evil genius...
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Someone at the airline PMed me for clarification on the problem (I reported above) and nicely pointed out that I was mistaken about something. I know what you're thinking.
No, what I am thinking is -- that I don't believe that anyone from the airline PMed you because clearly no one from the airline is reading any posts here.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:32 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by ijgordon
No, what I am thinking is -- that I don't believe that anyone from the airline PMed you because clearly no one from the airline is reading any posts here.
Believe it. Tellingly, for all the times I said Larry looks like a giant chipmunk, no airline employee ever questioned my veracity in that regard. But how could they?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Platinum, DL Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I think FareLock is a spectacular idea. I'd gladly pay $9 to lock in a fare for a week if I need the time to put together the other pieces to a vacation. As a daily farewatcher when planning trips, I'm always wondering (and feel like I often guess wrong) whether I am picking the exact right day to purchase so not only does this give you the ability to lock in while you plan, but essentially you are paying $9 for 7 days of airfare protection in which you end up ahead of the game if the fare drops by more than $9 (since you can re-book without a fee other than the $9). Except for really cheap fares, I would expect to do this often.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
For a PLT, if you do a Farelock on an M 10 days out, and there's upgrade availability at 5 days out, will you be confirmed to F before purchase?

Or has nobody had first-hand experience with this?

thx.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on my experience, you won't be offered fare lock that close to departure. But you don't need to be within the 5-day window to process a Platinum M-UP. You can process the upgrade, subject to availability, at the time you purchase the ticket. While EUA will run starting at the 5 day mark, if you just have a fare lock but haven't purchased the ticket, I would be very surprised if EUA would upgrade you. But again, it's kind of moot because I think, as of now, it's impossible to be on a fare lock at T-5.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
.... n/m

Last edited by eleeut; Dec 29, 2010 at 11:15 pm Reason: .... started thread in the wrong place....
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
I wonder whether this helps, or hurts, travelers when CO posts mistake fares which become temporarily refundable (for 7 days at a nominal fee).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Farelock and exit row for UA elites

I'm looking at a CO itin that offers fare lock. I'm interested because I won't know for a couple of days whether I can go ahead with the booking.

I'm UA 1K, so after booking a CO ticket I can come back and select exit rows.

My question is: if I farelock an itin and add a UA number, will I be able to immediately select exit rows? (while the itinerary is held with farelock, before ticketing).

There are very few good exit row seats left, so I'm more interested in holding the seats than the fare...
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: Continental, United, AA
For every airline?

Originally Posted by colpuck
The 24hr refund was imposed by the DOT in-response to mistake bookings. There is no way that goes away.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
I'm looking at a CO itin that offers fare lock. I'm interested because I won't know for a couple of days whether I can go ahead with the booking.

I'm UA 1K, so after booking a CO ticket I can come back and select exit rows.

My question is: if I farelock an itin and add a UA number, will I be able to immediately select exit rows? (while the itinerary is held with farelock, before ticketing).

There are very few good exit row seats left, so I'm more interested in holding the seats than the fare...
It appears the selection of exit row seats can only be made after ticketing. A reservation is not ticketed while being held by FareLock.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...row-seats.html
Old Feb 6, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
My farelock experiences

I chose to FareLock two itineraries mid January.

Both times the Verified By VISA transaction quoted the full price (!).

During one I closed the tab, the other I just completed it.

Both itineraries were FareLocked according to CO.com. Both ended up with CO taking the EUR 9 from my creditcard, but from Paris FR, whereas the actual purchase is from Amsterdam NL, interesting. On one itinerary I could've forgone FareLock, on the other it saved me ~EUR 30 on the new lowest price with a completely different set of flights/routes.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
FareLock has been a big help to my wife and I while planning a trip to London over Easter. We were able to find reward availability and lock it in while searching for a location to stay. Once that was accomplished, we went back and snagged our tickets.

From a SaverPass reward availability perspective, I'm happy to pay a few bucks to lock in access to an itinerary when I find it while I work out enough details to see if it's worth grabbing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.