Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

If A Onepass Member Resolves An In-Flight Medical Emergency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If A Onepass Member Resolves An In-Flight Medical Emergency

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by GeoMedic
An actual defibrillator with a monitor and multiple leads as opposed to just the standard AED?
Just the standard AED

Change in pressure should have no effect on the liquid and the very minor amount of gas in the bag would have not alter the situation... otherwise Denver's ambulances and hospitals would be leaking all over the place.
True, but with multiple takeoffs and landings, plus a year in a bag, this one leaked.

What were the dates on the meds? It is a bit troubling that nobody seems to be checking the kits at least quarterly.
All the meds that I checked had late 2011 expiration dates. But I agree the whole point I was making is that the kits should be inspected more frequently, and a pulse oximeter should be included.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Pres? Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by chiph
Standard Onepass policy is within 14 days of saving a life, you will receive 250000*(pax_age)^-1.

For example, pax is 45, 250000 * 45^-1 = 5555mi.

Silver elites receive 25% bonus, gold/plat 100%. Save two lives in a calendar year and you receive an extra 1,000.
Do you know if they round up for under 1 year old. Cause if you saved a 1 month old, it would be like 3,000,000.
Sorry, I just find this to be an odd policy. What if you save 3 lives?

What if you delived a baby that wouldn't have been possible without medical training that was premature(which is most likely, due to travel policies) Would you get credit for the mom and the child? Would they consider the childs age before the flight or after(Since you would have to pay tons of miles to them if it was before?) 250000 * -.01^-1= negative 25,000,0000. I hope you have a lot in your account.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A recent article about doctors on planes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/health/24doctors.html
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
A friend e mailed this to me:
http://news.yahoo.com/discounts-pass...060848443.html
An Australian airline Monday said it had offered discounts on future travel to some passengers after a man died on their 11-hour flight from Singapore to New Zealand.

The 31-year-old New Zealander, Robert Rippingale, had been watching a movie and eating his in-flight meal on the Jetstar flight to Auckland last week when his girlfriend Vanessa Preechakul noticed he seemed to be struggling.

"I thought he was laughing very hard; then I looked at his face and his eyes were rolling and he couldn't talk. His lips were turning purple," she told The New Zealand Herald.

A doctor and two nurses who were on board rushed to help the man, but were unable to save him and he was declared dead some 90 minutes into the flight.

Rippingale's father, David, said police have told the family his son choked to death but added that as the younger man had an existing heart condition, he would await the results of an autopsy.

The cause of death is now the subject of a coroner's inquest.

"This was a very difficult and sad event, and our sympathies are with the passenger's family," a Jetstar spokeswoman said.

"The crew did an admirable job in what was a very upsetting situation for all involved, particularly the deceased passenger's companion."

Jetstar, the budget offshoot of Australia's biggest carrier Qantas, said after Rippingale was pronounced dead his body was moved to a curtained-off crew rest area where Preechakul was able to sit with him for the rest of the flight.

In consultation with Preechakul it was decided to continue the journey to Auckland rather than divert back to Singapore, in part because the dead man was from the New Zealand city.

Jetstar said it had subsequently contacted passengers who were sitting nearby to thank them for their understanding.

They were offered a discount on future travel, the carrier said, without specifying the amount, although some reports said it was a voucher worth NZ$100 (US$84).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.